Ferguson has been very good, but Schoonmaker has more upside

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
All that matters is Hendershot is done here.

Schoon was drafted to block and catch. He and Ferguson should be a good tandem.
We like to keep a lot of TEs. Hendershot probably sticks around for a little while longer.

RS12

Reaction score
Teams love to play 12 personnel, you need two quality te’s to do it effectively
This. Cowboys play 12 because it draws the safety up closer to the LOS and the QB has been more effective out of this formation. Also it has been a staple of the MM offense.

RS12

Reaction score
I feel like there's been more consternation and complaining about Schoonmaker than about Bossman Fat, who was a complete bust and barely even got on the field aside from special teams. So weird.
Trysten "healthy scratch" Hill anyone?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Schoonmaker is just a workout warrior. Those athleticism numbers don't really show up on the field. He has some straight-line speed but that's it. Ferguson is better. And John Stephens will be better too!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This. Cowboys play 12 because it draws the safety up closer to the LOS and the QB has been more effective out of this formation. Also it has been a staple of the MM offense.
It’s a great formation to both run and pass out of and forces defenses to play the extra linebacker

conner01

Reaction score
I hope he develops, but I’m not sure about upside. Schoon is a year older than Ferguson.
Upside because he’s a polished blocker and very athletic. But that’s like saying someone is better on paper. Hopefully Ferg becomes the next Witten and schoon is better lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having only 7 catches for 61 yards and a couple of TDs from a yard out, with a couple of drops is a disappointment in my book for a second round pick.
Who would you prefer he takes targets from? Lamb? Cooks? Any of the other WR's or TE's or RB's. There are only so many to go around.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don’t get the schoon hate. I assume many made their minds up on the guy on draft day because he was a reach in the 2nd round. With that said though he’s shown to be a plus blocker, and doesn’t have the results as a receiver yet but has the upside. The guy is getting north of 20 snaps per game and is contributing. I’m a fan. He’s certainly not been on the level of Ferg this year but I can’t help but think that if he had been selected 20 spots later no one would really have an issue with the pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Who would you prefer he takes targets from? Lamb? Cooks? Any of the other WR's or TE's or RB's. There are only so many to go around.
As long as he makes a play when given an opportunity it doesn’t matter who he takes a target from. We’re trying to spread the ball around. We’ve had a number of receivers get involved the last few weeks. The more receivers we get involved the harder we are to defend. To get more targets Schoonmaker is going to have to build trust with Dak. That means catching the ball and running the proper depth of route to score a TD in a critical situation.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Ferguson has been a top 5 t e this year. schoonmaker is bigger , faster 4.63 speed and and more explosive. we can have two elite tight ends next to lamb.
If only he could get open and the main thing CATCH THE BALL.

rambo2

Reaction score
Having only 7 catches for 61 yards and a couple of TDs from a yard out, with a couple of drops is a disappointment in my book for a second round pick. His production is way behind the other TEs he was mentioned with in his draft class. The planter fasciitis he suffered this summer could be used as an excuse for setting him back. He has provided something as a blocker, but many fans were expecting a lot more as a receiver, due to his draft status. The jury is still out and we’ll see how the rest of the season plays out for him. He could end up making a big play in a critical game that could change everyone’s opinion who’ve been disappointed in him.
Schoomaker's 2nd touchdown was 18 yards not 1 yard.

Chasing6

Reaction score
As long as he makes a play when given an opportunity it doesn’t matter who he takes a target from. We’re trying to spread the ball around. We’ve had a number of receivers get involved the last few weeks. The more receivers we get involved the harder we are to defend. To get more targets Schoonmaker is going to have to build trust with Dak. That means catching the ball and running the proper depth of route to score a TD in a critical situation.
That is my point if he is on the field a significant part of the time blocking, he has to become a threat as a receiver. Otherwise we are making it easier on the defense.

rambo2

Reaction score
That is my point if he is on the field a significant part of the time blocking, he has to become a threat as a receiver. Otherwise we are making it easier on the defense.
He is a threat. They can throw to him anytime they want. That’s why he will find the endzone again.