CFZ Fess Up: What were you right and wrong about with the 2022 season

RobZ

Reaction score
Let's see who wants to out themselves with three things they predicted that was right and wrong about the season.

Right:
1. Tyler Smith will be a stud in the making. Having played D1 college ball and coached junior college football, I'd like to think that I can see potential in players. I said from Day One that Tyler Smith will be the LT of the future and that the staff should just let him play the year at that position. We hit big time with this pick. I argued with a number of posters who thought he should be moved to RT or guard, or even sit and learn. Tyler is the real deal.

2. Either Dak or Moore would be gone at season's end. Well, bye bye Moore.

3. Connor Williams is a decent player misused by our coaching staff. While he's not a world beater, he proved he is more than just a JAG with his season in Miami.

Wrong:
1. NFCE order of finish. I picked Dallas--Philly--Commodes--NYG. I missed every part of the order.

2. Jalen Hurts will never be a good passer. As a very vocal member of the Jalen Hurts sucks brigade, I was dead wrong. No need to expand.

3. The overall quality of our defense might mask the DT weakness. Against bad teams it did sometimes; against good teams, we were exposed.
I had us going 8-9 or 9-8

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Wrong:
- Washington would contribute something
- LVE would not get back to his best/contribute much
- Diggs would improve his coverage whilst be a ball hawk
- We'd make Championship game
- Giants and Washington would both be woeful
- We wouldn't miss Gregory
- Moore would improve as a play caller
- Parsons would win DPOY

Right:
- Dak would have pretty stats but ultimately suck
- We would misuse our running game
- Tyler Smith would start and perform from Day 1
- The overall defence is now 'competent/above average' and much improved
- We have a squad capable of a deep playoff run
- CeeDee is good enough to be WR1
- We would miss Cooper a LOT a lot
- Gallup wouldn't be able to repeat his success
- Our front office is one of the worst in the league
- One of Moore and/or MM would be fired due to Dak

All up.. this off season feels pretty familiar.. probably to all of us. We looked good in parts.. had a couple of wins and a couple of losses with regards to players.. still divided over our QB.. no success but still feel we are closer enough to have a crack next season. Its all a bit rinse and repeat at this stage.

GREAT thread too. Perhaps before the start of next season we should have a 'predict 5 things' thread and then be able to stand by it at the end of the season.
Im not sure we missed Gregory, you can move that one to right.

75boyz

Reaction score
Wrong about : Meaning these performed above and sometimes far above my expectation level.
Rush
Lamb
Brown
Maher
Tyler Smith
Steele

Right about: Meaning these continued to perform poorly as I expected.
McCarthy
Dak
Tyron Smith
Zeke
Nahshon Wright
Kelvin Joseph
Tysten Hill

raven55

Reaction score
i was wrong on win loss, i was right on the farthest we would get. and i was right when i would see you at the draft because that's our new super bowl

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Wrong about our win loss record. Had us much closer to .500. Right about position in Division. Right about Dak costing us in the end. Wrong about how much of an impact not having Cooper would be. Right about Ezekiel Elliott being toast. Wrong about Jerry actually caring primarily about winning another SuperBowl. Right about our front office being incompetent.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I had them going 10-7 or 11-6 and lose in div rd in the playoffs And could wind up as a WC
without Amari they would have issues at wr
signing Gallup was dumb and he would not be ready by the timeline the team was pushing.
I thought the eagles might win the div
Thought diggs could not repeat his 2021 season with ints
Thought parsons would be doing good to do as good as he did in 2021 might even be a drop off.
Thought dak would be the same
was sure jones boys wouldnt get good FA to make team better........They did surprise me signing TY Hilton and not signing the goofball odell.
didnt think they would give pollard more carries than elliot. ....they kinda did at very end, but too little too late.

wrong
didnt think tyler smith would be good esp this 1st year
didnt think lamb would do as good as he did, and I still think he is not a #1 wideout, more of a good #2 and better in the slot
Rush surprised me and everyone else.
I was almost identical to this

Had them 10-7, WC team that maybe won a playoff game against a weak division winner, loses in Div round against a top NFC team. Eagles winning division at 13-4. Washington would be a surprise NFC wild card team also 10-7 due to their top 10 defense; Commanders ended up 8-8-1 with that top 10 defense but NYG leapfrogged them. Definitely didn’t see that coming.

Dallas would be 10th in defense but turnovers would be down, eagles would end up 13th with sack numbers up. Dallas did end up 12th and eagles 2nd. Eagles sack numbers were up, but Dallas was still high in turnovers despite Trevon not having as big a year.

Guess was Losing Amari would hurt, but Dak would be consistently efficient Dak. Result was lack of receiving talent beyond Ceedee was noticeable, but Dak was not typically efficient Dak.

All year I thought McCarthy just getting to the playoffs was enough for Jerry to keep him, and I believe that will continue going forward. Jerry is loyal to a fault, and for Big Mike, Good Enough is good enough.

zeke21

Reaction score
Im not sure we missed Gregory, you can move that one to right.
I feel we did miss another option to attack the QB down the stretch. I think Parson was carrying a niggle and was also tired as he was doing a lot of work against much bigger bodies. Then we had to use Micah to cover our shortage at CB a bit.. and we wanted him to play sideline to sideline to root our stretch runs and wide screens.. in the end I feel we were a pure rusher short.

I'm not going to say Gregory would have made a big difference.. if any.. but I do feel another rusher would have helped.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I was wrong about the season record and winning a playoff game. Wasn't wrong about the team not being a SB contender or Dak.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Best thread I've read in awhile @StarOfGlory , well done!

Misses-
I thought Trysten Hill would finally show up. I was one of the few who actually liked the pick. Had all the physical tools, but not the will to be great. What a waste of talent imo. I always hate to see people not live up to their potential.

Didn't think Coop would be missed. Another one who showed up when he wanted and thought he quit during some games.

Thought Zeke would have a bounce-back year. Plays hard, but I now think he's washed too. Great team player, I think the mind is still there, but the body isn't.

Steele was better than I thought and I am happy we have him.

Hits-
Didn't like the Gallup deal. Hopefully next year this will be in the "miss" category.

Thought Wilson might be missed more than they thought, and he was. Sneaky good player for us.

I was giddy over the Smith pick and he really shined for a rookie, especially when he was moved around.

Mike is one of the better head coaches in the league. 4-1 win a back up, plus all the injuries to the offensive line. But we kept winning. Doesn't get the credit he deserves and the guys play hard for him. One of the most underrated talents we have in my opinion. Very happy the offense is finally his to call.

Acheman08

Reaction score
I predicted 9-8 or 8-9. They would miss a true number 1 WR. And it would be one and done in the playoffs, so they exceeded my expectations.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was right that a top 10 NT would make a monster of a difference, and that we could win playoff games w/ one.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cool thread. I wonder who will man up.

WRONG
- wasn’t sure CeeDee was #1 material
- thought Tyler Smith would struggle more with the last second move
- Joseph, Gallimore, Osa... at least one of these sophomores would stand out
- we didn’t have a shot with our backup QB
- thought we would regret losing Randy Gregory more
- by season end, felt like this was the year where Playoff curse might be broken
- we were screwed at kicker… or was I right based on the Playoff choke job? :mad:

RIGHT
- LVE, Biadasz, AB, Steele, Schultz all better than fans give them credit for and it showed when they went out or played hurt
- Should have been giving Pollard all the snaps for a while now
- need move on from Kellen Moore and Philbin
- Tank would rebound,Tyron would get hurt again, LC waste of space
- Eagles were the NFC East Team to fear
- should have gone after a stud DT and more offensive line depth in offseason
- silently but optimistically accepting the dark future that we will never go anywhere with the Jones Boys
I‘m wrong more times than I like and can’t remember exactly where I was right and wrong. But to the best of my memory, here’s my rights/wrongs

RIGHT-
  • I did not pick the Cowboys to win the division.
  • I remember predicting WR TJ Vasher would never be on this roster.
  • Zeke’s decline was continuing.
  • Tony Pollard needed to play more or at least the same amount as Zeke.
  • Tyron Smith would miss significant playing time due to injury.
  • Stopping the run was still going to be an issue.
  • Did not think we replaced what we lost with Amari Cooper.
  • eagles had a better off-season then we did.
  • Thought we would beat Tampa in the playoffs.
WRONG
  • Originally picked Cowboys to go 10-7
  • then after Dak’s injury I think I picked them to finish something like 6-11.
  • Did not think they would make the playoffs.
  • Did not think Cedee Lamb was going to prove he was a “#1 type receiver”.
  • I thought Tyler Smith would struggle more than he did.
  • Thought we would likely beat SF in the divisional round.
  • Thought the eagles would fade after mid-season.
I‘m sure there’s plenty more…especially in the wrong category, lol.