CFZ Fess Up: What were you right and wrong about with the 2022 season

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was dead right that moving on from Amari Cooper was a mistake that would have an affect on Dak’s performance and lead to the Cowboys having to pick up a receiver during the season.

StarLord

Reaction score
Last year, I posted on here what I wanted them to do. They did some and didn't do some. I felt prios to resign were Kearse and Anger. Wanted Collins and Gregory just gone. Felt as though Armstrong was going to impress. Was good with Steele. Wanted to draft Jordan Davis and then OL in the 2nd, was ok with Tyler. My gut feeling was Bohanna was going to have a year. Was done with Zeke after the end of last season. Wanted Pollard as main back. Wanted to left Schultz go (JAG in my opinion), would have used his money Wagner. Was good with Ferguson, McKeon, and Hendershot. Wanted the best college kicker available with one of our 5th round picks. Would have kept Cooper, let Gallup go. Liked the Washington signing. I was hoping we would sign Jansen from TB (kinda a pipe dream). Honestly, I was done with Dak after last year's playoffs loss.. but moving on from him was always just a dream. I thought Cox and Ball were going to be a nice improvement.

So all that being said, I feel good about most it to be honest. Glad we kept Kearse, Anger.

Wish we had taken a kicker with a 5th. Still would do this in the upcoming draft

Cant believe we're probably going resign Zeke. Post June cut and get a rook in the 3rd or so.

Bohanna, Cox and Ball were HUGE disappointments. Bad take there.

I still believe we should have let Schultz go.. can anyone name a single play where his name got called and it was a great play? Would tried hard on Wagner over Barr.

Davis wasn't there so what can you do?

Armstrong started the year out the way I thought he could, disappointing end (for the whole DLine really).

Still think Pollard was underused.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Wrong: Thought we'd only win 9 to 10 games barely miss or make the playoffs and good chance McCarthy would've then been replaced by Quinn since he made the decision to stay last year.

Right: We wouldn't win more than a wildcard with Dak.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I had them going 10-7 or 11-6 and lose in div rd in the playoffs And could wind up as a WC
without Amari they would have issues at wr
signing Gallup was dumb and he would not be ready by the timeline the team was pushing.
I thought the eagles might win the div
Thought diggs could not repeat his 2021 season with ints
Thought parsons would be doing good to do as good as he did in 2021 might even be a drop off.
Thought dak would be the same
was sure jones boys wouldnt get good FA to make team better........They did surprise me signing TY Hilton and not signing the goofball odell.
didnt think they would give pollard more carries than elliot. ....they kinda did at very end, but too little too late.

wrong
didnt think tyler smith would be good esp this 1st year
didnt think lamb would do as good as he did, and I still think he is not a #1 wideout, more of a good #2 and better in the slot
Rush surprised me and everyone else.

jay94

Reaction score
Was right about receivers being a major issue.
Was right about Pollard being the best back on the team, had the belief since deep into his rookie year.
I felt great about going to the playoffs because our schedule was soft.

I feel indifferent on Gregory, I know what people will say, but our pass rush fell off a cliff and he easily would of been our second pass rusher, but the drop off wasn't as big so call it what
you will.
Another wishy washy one, if you would of done the first 10 games I would of been way wrong about our defense, but as it turned out, to be just an above average one, with gaping holes at times. The defense was definitely not the issue against the niners, to me it was no weapons outside of Lamb.

I was 100% wrong on Lael Collins departure being a downgrade.
I was wrong about how well Tyler Smith played his rookie year.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Was right on target and will be again We will win at least one more playoff game this season maybe even the SB But I'm not going to poop my britches if we do not And I do not give a crap about salary cap

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let the gaslighting begin!! Lol

Tyler led the league with 10 holding penalties last year. Only 1 guy had more flags against him. Larry Allen had 13 holding penalties in his career.
Larry had a OL coach. LA was a G. If he started as a LT his rookie year he'd have had some holds.
Not saying the kid is LA but it's unfair comparison

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Let's see who wants to out themselves with three things they predicted that was right and wrong about the season.

Right:
1. Tyler Smith will be a stud in the making. Having played D1 college ball and coached junior college football, I'd like to think that I can see potential in players. I said from Day One that Tyler Smith will be the LT of the future and that the staff should just let him play the year at that position. We hit big time with this pick. I argued with a number of posters who thought he should be moved to RT or guard, or even sit and learn. Tyler is the real deal.

2. Either Dak or Moore would be gone at season's end. Well, bye bye Moore.

3. Connor Williams is a decent player misused by our coaching staff. While he's not a world beater, he proved he is more than just a JAG with his season in Miami.

Wrong:
1. NFCE order of finish. I picked Dallas--Philly--Commodes--NYG. I missed every part of the order.

2. Jalen Hurts will never be a good passer. As a very vocal member of the Jalen Hurts sucks brigade, I was dead wrong. No need to expand.

3. The overall quality of our defense might mask the DT weakness. Against bad teams it did sometimes; against good teams, we were exposed.
Well, chap, I did not expect 12 wins.
I did not expect a leveling-off year for Diggs and Parsons.
Didn't expect a 1-star WR corps.

I was correct, commoners and poseurs, tha Dak would fold under pressure. The euphoria after the Bucs game lulled the Cowboys.
I was correct in a powerful Pollard/Zeke attack --- for a while --- but showcased the need for a Calvin Hill/Walt Garrison attack or an Emmitt Smith/Moose sledgehammer. Zeke faded to nothing.
I was correct tha someone here slipped me some kool-ade and I find meself looking forward to draft/camp/FA ... we are the faithful. Walk with Jerald into the glow O fanatics eternal. Next year, mate, we follow Dak and Tolbert! Championship!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Was right on target and will be again We will win at least one more playoff game this season maybe even the SB But I'm not going to poop my britches if we do not And I do not give a crap about salary cap
You are such a rebel!

stinkface

Reaction score
I thought we would have a worse record, mostly because of middle of the D was soft and we had no weapons except CeeDee on the outside. Also didn't trust the Jone's boys and still don't. I thought the Cooper trade for basically a used condom was deployable. Still do.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Larry had a OL coach. LA was a G. If he started as a LT his rookie year he'd have had some holds.
Not saying the kid is LA but it's unfair comparison
His first start was at left tackle when Tuinei got hurt. He had to replace Williams a few weeks later at right tackle after an injury and then permanently after the car wreck. Larry became the starting guard his second season.

So 10 starts as a rookie playing both tackle positions- 1 holding penalty.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His first start was at left tackle when Tuinei got hurt. He had to replace Williams a few weeks later at right tackle after an injury and then permanently after the car wreck. Larry became the starting guard his second season.

So 10 starts as a rookie playing both tackle positions- 1 holding penalty.
That's right he had 10 starts as a rookie but mostly at RT and Houck as a coach.
Smith had coach who made a career out of teaching players to hold.

Haimerej

Reaction score
That's right he had 10 starts as a rookie but mostly at RT and Houck as a coach.
Smith had coach who made a career out of teaching players to hold.
Smith also led the nation in holding while in college. Coaches aren't always the issue. They're professionals, not kids learning the game. They've played long enough to develop bad habits that aren't easily shaken off, especially in the heat of the moment.

If the coaches were the cause, you'd see it across the board. Terence Steele had 1 holding penalty last year. Biadasz had 2. Martin has had 1 holding penalty since Philbin arrived 3 years ago. Tyron has only had 5 over those 3 years.

I'm not excusing Philbin because he was fired for a reason, but you can't blame him for something the player brought with him from college.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see who wants to out themselves with three things they predicted that was right and wrong about the season.

Right:
1. Tyler Smith will be a stud in the making. Having played D1 college ball and coached junior college football, I'd like to think that I can see potential in players. I said from Day One that Tyler Smith will be the LT of the future and that the staff should just let him play the year at that position. We hit big time with this pick. I argued with a number of posters who thought he should be moved to RT or guard, or even sit and learn. Tyler is the real deal.

2. Either Dak or Moore would be gone at season's end. Well, bye bye Moore.

3. Connor Williams is a decent player misused by our coaching staff. While he's not a world beater, he proved he is more than just a JAG with his season in Miami.

Wrong:
1. NFCE order of finish. I picked Dallas--Philly--Commodes--NYG. I missed every part of the order.

2. Jalen Hurts will never be a good passer. As a very vocal member of the Jalen Hurts sucks brigade, I was dead wrong. No need to expand.

3. The overall quality of our defense might mask the DT weakness. Against bad teams it did sometimes; against good teams, we were exposed.
Nothing changing year in and year out but the weather as our team can only carry our bum QB so far..... :banghead:
P.S. I predict the same for 2023.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think all of us who said they didn't do enough to improve the team were proven right and the ones, who yelled, "you don't know better than the front office" were proven stupid. pretty easy.