Few thoughts about Lance vs Dak

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.
Cooper rush wasn’t 5-1, the defense won those games.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Questions about Lance being a good fit in Shanahan's offense arose as far back as last summer before the signal-caller suffered a season-ending ankle injury in September. Montana hinted Lance wouldn't have succeeded had he stayed healthy for 18 regular-season weeks.

"Can he run? Yeah, if you have to," Montana continued about Lance. "But the game is played from the pocket, for the most part, in that system, and it's hard to learn and understand that game when you run, pretty much, I won't say a full read option when he was in college, but he spent a lot of time moving out of the pocket, getting the movement, and that's not the 49ers' style right now."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._addresses_trey_lance_trade/s1_13132_39198374

"He's a great athlete, and I'm sure he's going to find a place that fits for him because I think he has the ability to do it," Montana added about Lance. "I just think he was in a bad spot."

CCBoy

Reaction score
Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Young was apprehensive about the 49ers trading quarterback Trey Lance to the Dallas Cowboys.

"I have PTSD," the QB who played for the 49ers from 1987 to 1999 said, per Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle. "I feel like we should never trade anything to Dallas again after the disastrous Charles Haley mistake. We traded away Super Bowls with that deal."

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._addresses_trey_lance_trade/s1_13132_39193910

Lance, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury in 2022, needed a change of scenery after he was demoted to QB3 in San Francisco. But Young implied he doesn't believe Dallas is the right destination for the 23-year-old.

"I'm a big fan of Trey," Young said. "It's not the first landing spot I would have thought of."

Despite Lance's upside, quarterback Dak Prescott holds a firm grip on the starting job after making two Pro Bowls and winning 61 games in seven seasons. If he suffered an injury, Dallas would likely turn to backup Cooper Rush, who went 4-1 as a starter last season.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Cooper rush wasn’t 5-1, the defense won those games.
I feel ya, and I think Cooper has been aided by a higher power cuz some of his passes teeter on the brink of going the other way, but Google, Statmuse, and other sources have him @ 5-1.

I'm not a Rush fan but the man can claim a 80+% win rate as a starter. Just doesn't sound right, does it?

BossRhino

Reaction score
Clearly the Jones family has placed a higher importance on analytics than ever before. Paying top dollar to both Micah Parsons and an aging, ringless Dak Prescott isn't a sustainable team-building formula for the future. If Prescott doesn't deliver at least an NFC Championship, I think the team starts to pivot hard away from Prescott, and sets the wheels in motion for life after Prescott, and Parsons and the defense carry the team into the future with a young QB driving the bus.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In a couple of years, Lance's rookie deal will be up and he won't come at a fraction of the cost.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I'll restate what I said in another Lance thread, he reminds me of Hurts when Hurts sucked. Hurts has obviously really turned it around. A lot of players in that position don't but I get why the team would want to take the flyer.

As others have said, Cooper kind of sucks. His record is a mirage. Beyond that, Dak isn't invincible. I'm kind of glad that if Dak goes down for 10 weeks, the season isn't over.