Few thoughts about Lance vs Dak

CCBoy

Reaction score
"Despite Lance's upside, quarterback Dak Prescott holds a firm grip on the starting job after making two Pro Bowls and winning 61 games in seven seasons. If he suffered an injury, Dallas would likely turn to backup Cooper Rush, who went 4-1 as a starter last season."

This is precisely why it is the perfect place for Trey Lance. He needs more experience and time to develop.
No one has argued differently on my posts...

It’s safe to say that the Cowboys offense in 2023 will be Prescott’s offense through and through, with everything designed to fit around him and be largely dictated by him. For someone with the strengths that Prescott has, that sounds like a perfect plan. But there are, of course, potential downsides and long-term ramifications if things don’t go right with this setup:

There’s not a lot of defense left for the quarterback if we put all this on your plate and you’re still not getting it done — that’s a bigger issue. But to me, the most valuable thing you can do as a franchise is find out what this dude can be. Because it’s either he is our guy for the rest of time or we got to start moving on. I think that’s the value when you have a system when it puts everything on the quarterback.
The Cowboys are putting everything on Prescott’s shoulders this year, for better or worse. If he is the quarterback they think he is, then the offense should soar as a result. If not, then it may be time to start talking about the Trey Lance era.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...k-prescott-mike-mccarthy-brian-schottenheimer

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.
To suggest that Cooper Rush and Andy Dalton are better players than Dak is pretty far out there.

I am not a huge Dak fan, but anyone with sight can tell you that he is very clearly the far superior player.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
To suggest that Cooper Rush and Andy Dalton are better players than Dak is pretty far out there.

I am not a huge Dak fan, but anyone with sight can tell you that he is very clearly the far superior player.
Who suggested they are better?

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Who suggested they are better?
I may be mistaken, but it was pretty well insinuated in this sentence - “We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.”

It is also worth noting that Andy Dalton went 4-5 as starter in that lost season, which would put him pretty firmly below Dak’s career win % of .63.

I love what Cooper Rush did last season when forced to start, but he was the beneficiary of some Herculean defensive efforts that basically didn’t require him to put up more than 14 points.

I don’t disagree with you that it could be time to start looking elsewhere at QB in the next year or two, I just think that the premise of bum backups performing just as well if not better is flawed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but it was pretty well insinuated in this sentence - “We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.”

It is also worth noting that Andy Dalton went 4-5 as starter in that lost season, which would put him pretty firmly below Dak’s career win % of .63.

I love what Cooper Rush did last season when forced to start, but he was the beneficiary of some Herculean defensive efforts that basically didn’t require him to put up more than 14 points.

I don’t disagree with you that it could be time to start looking elsewhere at QB in the next year or two, I just think that the premise of bum backups performing just as well if not better is flawed.
Dalton and Rush are not very good and I pointed out that 2 not very good players get results similar to Dak from a win loss perspective.

Sorry I needed to make that more clear for you. I thought that didn’t need to be said and was obvious.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dalton and Rush are not very good and I pointed out that 2 not very good players get results similar to Dak from a win loss perspective.

Sorry I needed to make that more clear for you. I thought that didn’t need to be said and was obvious.
What I’m telling you is that a tiny six game sample size with Cooper Rush is not a firm basis for an argument. Those “results” you speak of are Rush barely putting up 200 yards and a single TD most games. With a great defense you’ll win a few games against bad team like that, but you’re going nowhere with that kind of QB play. I have a hunch it would be difficult to keep winning like that over an entire season with a QB as limited as Rush.

If win-loss is your go to statistic to measure individual QB performance, Dak is pretty nearly top-10 all time for long term starters, but this very obviously does not align with his actual ability.

Dak was 11-1 in his first 12 games as starter. I think we all agree that win % was not just the result of his play, but really a unique situation around him that year. The same could be said for Rush.

Last edited: