Few thoughts about Lance vs Dak

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Lance does develop to be a good starting QB like some say, he will NOT be a fraction of the cost in a few years. That rookie contract will be over.

Like let’s keep this in perspective.

Lance needs to develop into the 10-15th best QB and we can keep similar success.

This is very realistic imo.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The year matters because both quarterbacks were at different ages and levels of experience at that time in 2017 than they were last year in 2022. Both guys are the same age with Dak only being 4 months older than Cooper.
Why when dak put up similar stats, he was credited w the win, while Cooper was “carried by the defense”?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cooper Rush vs the Rams

10/16
102 yds
0 TD
0 Int

Dak stans: “the defense won that game!”

Dak vs Commanders in 2017

11/22
102 yds
2 TD
0 Int

Dak stans: “dak did what he needed to do to win the game!”

Anyone not completely delusional knows Dak is good.

He’s not as bad as his haters say and he’s not as good as his homers say.

He’s a Kirk Cousins type.

Can you win a Super Bowl paying Dak like he’s an elite QB?

So far no. Not even elite QBs win when theor cap % is so high.

CWR

Reaction score
If Lance does develop to be a good starting QB like some say, he will NOT be a fraction of the cost in a few years. That rookie contract will be over.

True but I can't begin to calculate how they would determine his value after developing and without significant game time. It would likely still be much less than Dak.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Eat The Cap And Dump Dak!

We Want Lance! We Want Lance!

If you want Lance to succeed he doesn’t need to play right now until he learns the system.

Dak is a superior player today but Lance is a 23 year old player.

Imo, if he can recognize defenses quicker the rest will be easy for him.

I’m not a big McCarthy guy but the guy has worked with some great QBs.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Trey Lance is a representation of how the Front Office feels about paying Dak all this money and letting him hold all the leverage. It's not Trey vs Dak, it's any decent QB Jerry can find vs Dak. I get Jerry's stance tho why pay $50M if the guy is going to fold in the Playoffs every year.

rags747

Reaction score
Anyone not completely delusional knows Dak is good.

He’s not as bad as his haters say and he’s not as good as his homers say.

He’s a Kirk Cousins type.

Can you win a Super Bowl paying Dak like he’s an elite QB?

So far no. Not even elite QBs win when theor cap % is so high.
Actually Cousins rating is slightly higher. Dak can be phenomenal at times and he can really stink it up at times. Hopefully this is the year where he puts it all together.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Why when dak put up similar stats, he was credited w the win, while Cooper was “carried by the defense”?
I have no idea why people say those types of things. The situations are different. Dak isn't the same level of QB now than he was in 2017. Neither is Cooper. Dak is better than Cooper and he also costs a lot more. As long as both guys are on the roster, Dak provides the offense the best opportunity to help the team win and I think that is obvious.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I agree and they get Dak like results.

So focus on the team.

With Lance you have major upside and he can develop into at the very least a Cooper Rush but he’s likely to be better than that. A lot better.
No they don't.

Rush just got lucky with the defense, the offense was terrible.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Trey Lance is a representation of how the Front Office feels about paying Dak all this money and letting him hold all the leverage. It's not Trey vs Dak, it's any decent QB Jerry can find vs Dak. I get Jerry's stance tho why pay $50M if the guy is going to fold in the Playoffs every year.
They haven’t won a single thing with Dak and you’re going to pay him like he’s elite and has won titles?

This is not the way.

Mr_437

Reaction score
They haven’t won a single thing with Dak and you’re going to pay him like he’s elite and has won titles?

This is not the way.
In that interview post trade, Jerry said he didn't talk to anyone before making the trade said it all. Jones is on a mission, he's actively looking for his next franchise QB.

I agree with you , Catch17, and so does Jerry.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Like let’s keep this in perspective.

Lance needs to develop into the 10-15th best QB and we can keep similar success.

This is very realistic imo.

I agree with you in spirit. IF Lance can develop into a QB as good as Dak. I am perfectly fine with them moving on to Lance.

It’s a big IF at this point though. Right now Lance is not as good as Dak and he may never be. And I don’t want to take a step back at QB so save some money. Personally. Unless it’s on a super cheap QB deal. Like it needs to be 10’s of millions less for it to be worth it. IMO

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If Dak plays like he has the last 2 years against the 49ers in the playoffs then it's time to start looking at other options. We're going to be wasting a great opportunity with this defense to win something or at least get to a SB. My only problem with Lance is I don't think he's going to give Dak a run for his money. I hope I'm wrong. Don't want to waste more years trying to make him into an NFL starter when he isn't. I suppose we'll see on that. can't do anything about it now.