fiesta bowl

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I know people will scoff at the notion after the euphoria wears off, but seriously, this coach is a guy I'd be excited to see on our sideline.

He's not defensive-minded, but he's relatively young, fearless and obviously versed in the offensive game.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
That isnt even allowed in the NFL (Cheerleader Dating).

No Fun for sure League.

Congrats to Boise State Broncos.

That was a great performance.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Updated: Dec. 30, 2006, 7:17 PM ET
Broncos' running back mixes humor with toughness

Associated Press
College Football News Wire

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Boise State's Ian Johnson didn't hesitate
in comparing himself to Oklahoma star Adrian Peterson.

"He is bigger, he is stronger, he is faster," Johnson said.
"Besides that, we don't compare."

The sophomore running back has been one of the brightest
personalities in the days leading up to the Fiesta Bowl, holding
court for reporters at the Fiesta Bowl media day Saturday at
University of Phoenix Stadium, site of Monday night's game between
the Broncos and Sooners.

"I love being able to talk to people," he said, "to tell my
story."

As Boise State coach Chris Petersen put it, "he brings a
freshness to the game."

Petersen was offensive coordinator when the Broncos recruited
Johnson out of Damien High School in San Dimas, Calif. The coach
acknowledges he had no idea that Johnson would be this good.

"When you're recruiting an Adrian Peterson and some of the guys
that Oklahoma has, you kind of know what you're getting," the
Boise State coach said, "but the rest of us, half the time you
don't know. I think recruiting is an art not a science. That's the
beauty of the whole college football process."

Johnson turned out to be a true find. He averaged 5.6 yards per
carry in part-time duty as a freshman, then as a full-time starter
this season he broke the Boise State rushing record with 1,613
yards, an average of 6.4 yards per attempt. He led major college
football with 24 touchdowns and was second in yards rushing per
game at 146.64.

At 5-foot-11 and 194 pounds, Johnson picks his way through the
Broncos' zone blocking system.

"He's a very patient runner," Petersen said. "That's probably
his strength. Sometimes we're on the sidelines going 'Hit it, hit
that hole,' but he's bouncing and weaving and then he kind of does
things on his own. That's his style."

And tough? No doubt about that.

On Nov. 11, Johnson played most of his team's 23-20 victory over
San Jose State with a collapsed lung and two broken ribs.

"When a guy acts like he acts, you don't really think of a
tough guy," Petersen said, "but he's as tough as they come, and I
think that whole package just makes him a special person."

Johnson was hurt with nine minutes to go in the second quarter.

He was pretty sure he had cracked his ribs but didn't think it
was any more serious than that.

"It was one of those things where I thought to myself 'Between
the whistles, I can play," he said. "'Whether or not I'm sucking
wind between plays, I'm good enough to play."

After gaining 149 yards and scoring a touchdown in Boise State's
closest game of the season, Johnson was sent to a San Jose
hospital, where tests uncovered the punctured lung.

"He was telling me he was hurting a little bit during the game
and I was kind of teasing him like 'Come on, toughen up Ian,"
offensive guard Jeff Cavender said. "But a collapsed lung and
broken ribs? That just shows the heart and determination that he
has, and the strength too. I definitely gained a whole ton of
respect for him after that game."

Johnson spent five nights in the hospital before returning to
Boise. He missed the following week's game against Utah State, but
returned Nov. 25 -- wearing a flak jacket -- and rushed for 147 yards
and three touchdowns in a victory over Nevada that clinched the
Broncos' undefeated regular season and BCS bowl berth.

The ribs are healed and the lung is fine, now, but Johnson said
he's promised to wear a flak jacket Monday as a precaution, whether
he wants to or not.

With Oklahoma's Peterson returning for the bowl contest after
missing seven games with a broken collarbone, Johnson has been
exceedingly good-natured about the matchup between two. He was
asked who would win a fight between the two.

"He's huge!" an incredulous Johnson replied. "I'm not a
fighter. You can ask anyone. I'm a small person."

2much2soon

Reaction score
Ian Johnson's stat line
24 carries, 100 yards, 1 td, 1 marriage proposal

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
the girl he proposed to was freaking hot. Without a doubt she was a 10 but idk they seem way too young to get married and will probably regret it but whatever its not my problem. i cant say i blame him... hehehe

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1281089 said:
LMAO Bob Stoops blaming the refs in his PC, what a SCUMBAG!!!!!!!!!!!

Is he really? How many dubious PI calls did his Okies get?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1281097 said:
the girl he proposed to was freaking hot. Without a doubt she was a 10 but idk they seem way too young to get married and will probably regret it but whatever its not my problem. i cant say i blame him... hehehe

Just sign this prenup and we'll be all set sweetheart.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1281089 said:

He's a loser. They got jobbed by the team with the blue field. Go home Stoops.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1281100 said:
Is he really? How many dubious PI calls did his Okies get?
Yes he complained about the refs not giving the fumble in the OT to oklahoma which is retarted because it was clear that the RB's knee was down. and yea i agree with u if anyone should be complaining its BSU but they won anyways HAHA!!!!!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten;1281169 said:
Stoops is a big damn baby.

and he's a bigger damn loser

like I said...most overhyped, overrated coach in NCAA, nobody else is even close

I'd rather have Barry Switzer come back and coach our 'Boys than see that troll Bob Stoops here

David

Gossamer

Reaction score
Da Hammer;1281097 said:
the girl he proposed to was freaking hot. Without a doubt she was a 10...

Here she is. Not quite a 10, but maybe a 7.

Her name is Chrissy Popadics.

IMG_2714.JPG

Aikbach

Reaction score
Gossamer;1281336 said:

IMG_2714.JPG
Is she British, just look at that smile.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Gossamer;1281336 said:

IMG_2714.JPG

I won't even get into that last name since this is a family board and all. 6 1/2 out of 10.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the most part I have found the bowl games rather uninteresting this year.

However I was looking forward to the WVU game, for obvious reasons:cool: , and that one turned out great.

Was telling someone on the board this past week that two other games I was looking forward to was the Lousiville/Wake Forest game and The Boise State/Oklahoma game.

Too many times people write off these smaller schools (Boise state), say they do not even deserve to be in these bowl games, and many times they never have a chance to go to a bowl game of this stature. They could have the best team in the land and lose one game and they are all but out of a good bowl game, where other teams like OU and other teams can lose a game and still get a good bowl game.

Now I realize teams like Boise State don't have the level of tough teams to play through out the year ala an Oklahoma, but I don't care if you go undefeated in Div IA Football than you are a good team, and Boise State has been a good team for some years now. They just have not have a good bowl game to showcase themselves because unlike these big teams, they get cut no slack with the bowl selection committees.

They have to go undefeated and still sometimes are lucky to get a good bowl game. After all of that they still get NO respect from most media members and college football fans.

This was not a situation where the Broncos just got lucky, this is not a situation where the Sooners did not pay hard, this was not a situation with a gimmick offense. Boise State went most of the game Toe to Toe with a good game plan and just flat out beat the Sooners.

In other words this was no fluke. They deserved to be there and they just showed all the naysayers that believed they should not be there. Imagine being one, of only two, undefeated teams in DIa and still not getting respect.

Ladies and Gentlemen they went out there last night against all odds, against all the naysayers and EARNED respect. They never gave up, they never called it quits, they never let the excuse of a small team with inferior depth get to them, when they threw that int for an OU td they could have melted and said oh well...but no they came back like warriors. Man you just have to love that teams heart.

This will go down as one of the best Bowl Games ever. I honestly don't think it can be topped and really from this point on it may just be a let down for the rest of the games.

I think that Boise State just earned a bunch of fans Nationwide after that game.

I have liked them for a few years and they are one of those teams you started liking because of some of those ESPN night games, otherwise you would never have gotten to see them prior.

Go Boise State, you deserve all the props and honors for that game last nigh. You have a movie in the making and you are part of something so special that I imagine 20+ years down the road there will be having get togethers over that special moment.

I tell you I am dragging today after staying up so late watching that game (on the east coast) but it was well worth it.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1281089 said:

Here are Stoops' post-game comments, please show me where he "blamed the refs"... unless he made a separate set of comments somewhere else, I'd say you might need to look in the mirror. :rolleyes:

HEAD COACH BOB STOOPS
Opening Statement:
“I’m very proud of my football team. They've been a great group to work with the entire year. This game doesn't change that. It was a crazy, wild game. Felt early on, of course, we made too many major mistakes that really put us in a bad position. But I'm proud of the way the guys fought back, responded to give theirselves an opportunity to win

“In the end, Boise made, you know, the big plays on some fourth downs and a two-point play. Give them, you know -- and they deserve it, the credit for making those plays. They did an excellent job.

“Again, very proud of these guys, my entire football team, for the way they competed, the way they've handled theirselves through the entire season.”

On the review of Ian Johnson’s fumble in overtime:
“I haven't seen it. In the end, if it is that way, it is. There's nothing I can do about it. It's unfortunate if it is. What am I going to say about it at this point?”

About coming back from an 18-point deficit:
“Again, a lot happened. I'm proud. Everyone can make of this what they want. These guys are great to work with. Even though we made our mistakes, dug ourselves a hole, we dug out of it with those plays.

“I'm proud of 'em, the way they did, executed. You know, make two two-point conversions, Marcus (Walker) makes a great play after giving up a big play early in the game to give ourselves an opportunity to win. Just wasn't meant to be.”

On what he told the defense during the timeout before Boise State’s two-point conversion attempt:
“The two things we were looking for were a sprint to the trips guys out there. We made a special point to emphasize the backside. We call it the nub side away from the end over, to look for something, throw back something back to that side.

“We didn't do a very good job defending it.”

On executing offense and defense better in the second half:
“Well, sure. But the first half, again, defensively there's two plays, there's two big plays. I thought their quarterback on the second one just makes -- we're all over him. He swings it back out to their sideline. Other than that, though, we're playing good defensively.

“Offensively, I felt we didn't do -- we were pretty average to poor in the first half. Of course, you know, we didn't do a very good job running the football at all. Again, to their credit, they did a nice job taking it away. You know, the turnovers really, really hurt us. In the second half, we started executing a little bit better, making some plays.”

On where he ranks Boise State among the teams Oklahoma has played this season:
“ They're an excellent football team. Anybody that's covered us knows, I don't get into comparing teams. They're a really good football team. I knew that, we knew that all along. Their execution, the way they play, I think Coach Petersen, his staff, do an excellent job.