FileSonic disables file sharing in wake of MegaUpload arrests

Hoofbite

Reaction score
iceberg;4391937 said:
i hate sopa and what the government is *trying* to do here. yes, i fully realize cbz will likely be shut down if it passed. so would my site. i'm not sure why my saying i hate it means you think i support the results.

most people i know who use those services are downloading just about anything and everything for free. should they be allowed to?

that's the debate.

It's interesting how the argument about piracy has been evolved over the years.

There was a video I posted in one of the other threads. Basically, 20 years ago you could copy and distribute without profit to friends and whoever else wanted to hear what you may have done with the song in terms of mixing and such.

Then they shut that down after some pricey lobbying in like 1992 IIRC.

Then with the DMCA they went after those who were the actual taker of the music and the actual supplier.

Now, they want to kill the taker, supplier, hamstring the messenger and beat the hell out of anyone who witnessed the event.

They went from arguing what was legal and what wasn't to all out destroying the means to even make sharing possible.

It's almost like shutting down every interstate in the US because you know that some people traffic drugs on them.

The places where piracy happens are also the places where free speech happens. YouTube, FB, Tumbler and even all those file hosting sites are all places where people distribute media and such.

Ive said it before but if the consequences of piracy are the burden we must bare in order to reap the benefits of free speech, so be it. I'm all for someone getting credit for their due but there's just absolutely no reasonable way to go about it.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
File-sharing is not much different from borrowing a movie or a game from a friend. If we support draconian laws like SOPA, next that will be illegal too. Besides, the internet will always be one step ahead of the politicians. These really no way top stop it.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
iceberg;4391938 said:
this is jacked up logic. if you have no intention to buy it, don't steal is because of that.
Didn't say it wasn't flawed logic, but it's a fact. Go on any file sharing site and you will see people admitting to downloading programs that they would not have gotten had it not been available for free.

iceberg;4391941 said:
why not "test it out" on netflix or blockbuster for $5 and not worry about "stealing it" only to "buy it" if you like it?
Because most of the black market movies aren't out on dvd yet and the $5 black market version is cheaper than going to the movies.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The government is about to start an investigation on the MPAA and several government officials for bribery. (I posted a link about it earlier, but I guess a mod deleted it since it named politicians) I'm sure the shutting down of MegaUpload and how it came about will be investigated too.

Anyone notice that MegaUpload's lawsuit against the MPAA was just "dropped" out of the blue while the heads of MegaUpload were in jail?

There is definitely foul play involved here by the MPAA and those that cannot be named.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4391953 said:
It's interesting how the argument about piracy has been evolved over the years.

There was a video I posted in one of the other threads. Basically, 20 years ago you could copy and distribute without profit to friends and whoever else wanted to hear what you may have done with the song in terms of mixing and such.

Then they shut that down after some pricey lobbying in like 1992 IIRC.

Then with the DMCA they went after those who were the actual taker of the music and the actual supplier.

Now, they want to kill the taker, supplier, hamstring the messenger and beat the hell out of anyone who witnessed the event.

They went from arguing what was legal and what wasn't to all out destroying the means to even make sharing possible.

It's almost like shutting down every interstate in the US because you know that some people traffic drugs on them.

The places where piracy happens are also the places where free speech happens. YouTube, FB, Tumbler and even all those file hosting sites are all places where people distribute media and such.

Ive said it before but if the consequences of piracy are the burden we must bare in order to reap the benefits of free speech, so be it. I'm all for someone getting credit for their due but there's just absolutely no reasonable way to go about it.

that to me is the real debate. i'm not going to really entertain it when someone KNOWS it's wrong but finds a "valid" reason to justify it - ie, i'm just trying it out..." sorry, that is not a good reason nor is "i wasn't going to buy it anyway" - fine. then you shouldn't have it.

but i do agree 100% that there needs to be a reasonable use of what is online and not 100% strict as to what is put where.

youtube - should only the artist be allowed to put their videos up? i see many people just put an image to a song and put it up to "share". this is where the line gets blurred. most artists won't care but some may NOT want their video up. long ago we shot a live video for a band, with their permission, and put it on youtube. the artist faxed in his resignation, moved to california and told youtube we were in violation so they removed it for us.

so you never know really.

if i'm reviewing a band and use pics they have on their site to create an image to post on my site - technically i'm in violation i would suppose. almost all of us would be at one point or another, which is why i hate the law but understand the need to be able to protect your IP.

there has to be a happy medium somewhere but as long as we have people finding reasons to "steal" and call it ok, the fight will continue and the other side of this "valid reason" will take stronger measures.

so to me those who "justify it" magnify the issue and are gonna mess it up for all of us.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
iceberg;4391941 said:
why not "test it out" on netflix or blockbuster for $5 and not worry about "stealing it" only to "buy it" if you like it?

I like your debate. You are making folks think and thats always a good thing.

No pirating is ever good, no matter how much these guys want to make themselves feel better.

You mean to tell me the DEMO of the game isn't showing you enough to get the game?

Get real people. Half of what is being said here is complete BS and lies.

Yeah my friend pirates all of the games for free and then goes buys each one at Best Buy a week or so later.

Hey I got an awesome bridge for sale in Brooklyn....call me. :laugh2:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Dallas;4392191 said:
I like your debate. You are making folks think and thats always a good thing.

No pirating is ever good, no matter how much these guys want to make themselves feel better.

You mean to tell me the DEMO of the game isn't showing you enough to get the game?

Get real people. Half of what is being said here is complete BS and lies.

Yeah my friend pirates all of the games for free and then goes buys each one at Best Buy a week or so later.

Hey I got an awesome bridge for sale in Brooklyn....call me. :laugh2:

LOL, yeah I can't vouch for the guy buying games, but I can vouch for people that do buy the movies after buying the black market versions. My bro-in-law does exactly that. He has two large bookcases full of original DVD's that he has purchased after buying the black market copy because according to him, he doesn't want to pay full price for it until he knows the movie is good. Then if he likes it, he buys the real version when it comes out to add to his collection.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
JonJon;4392049 said:
Didn't say it wasn't flawed logic, but it's a fact. Go on any file sharing site and you will see people admitting to downloading programs that they would not have gotten had it not been available for free.

Because most of the black market movies aren't out on dvd yet and the $5 black market version is cheaper than going to the movies.

2 points -

this is NOT available for free. it's a hack and put up so people can get it for free. very different.

and if it's not out yet, it's not out yet. this sense of "entitlement for free" is BS to the core.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
JonJon;4392210 said:
LOL, yeah I can't vouch for the guy buying games, but I can vouch for people that do buy the movies after buying the black market versions. My bro-in-law does exactly that. He has two large bookcases full of original DVD's that he has purchased after buying the black market copy because according to him, he doesn't want to pay full price for it until he knows the movie is good. Then if he likes it, he buys the real version when it comes out to add to his collection.

I believe you. My friends that lived in NYC used to send me all kinds of pirated DVD movies they bought off the street. Some were good and some were bad, but I did watch them. I am not claiming to be a saint. As a runt, I put a heavy dent in the side of RIIA, but I also understand completely where they are coming from. I stopped downloading pirated material about 10 years back. I sat down and really thought about how I would feel as an artist or dev who really doesn't get much from each song/game. I didn't like what was looking back at me. It wasn't fair what I was doing and I couldn't justify it anymore because everyone else was doing it.

What's wrong is wrong...no matter how I wanted to talk myself into it and justify my actions. I was stealing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
lol, I would never buy those pirated DVDs off the street. I've heard sometimes you just get a blank DVD. :laugh2:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4392235 said:
lol, I would never buy those pirated DVDs off the street. I've heard sometimes you just get a blank DVD. :laugh2:

yea, what are you gonna do then - go to the police? :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
iceberg;4392239 said:
yea, what are you gonna do then - go to the police? :)

I saw a COPS once where a guy called the police because one of his friends broken into his house and stole some of his stuff. (TVs, VCR, etc) When he was telling him what he stole, he said, "He stole my weed and bong too!"

Whoops! :lmao2:

The cop said, "He stole what?". He responded with. Uh, Never mind. I don't wish to report anything.

:laugh2:

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Never and I mean never in a million years would I have bought Lion OSX without first being able to try it out (Pirating it) Obviously it's a Hackintosh and may be a bit shaky EULA/TOS wise but I legally paid for it.

desktop.jpg

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
tupperware;4392277 said:
Never and I mean never in a million years would I have bought Lion OSX without first being able to try it out (Pirating it) Obviously it's a Hackintosh and may be a bit shaky EULA/TOS wise but I legally paid for it.

Thats all well and good Tup. Nobody is saying anything otherwise. But you cannot say what you did was right.

You legally paid for it after you pirated it. Because you did doesn't excuse the fact.

Not sure about hackinwhatever you talking about but I do software evals every day. As a matter of fact I recently did one that was about a 1.6mill purchase last week from IBM.

I tested it for 90 days before signing off. Most products have that availablity. You can get a 30-60-90 seat for eval if the company is legit about the product and wants to sell it.

Again not sure about the hackinslosh stuff but one would think you could get an eval before purchase.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Dallas;4392286 said:
Thats all well and good Tup. Nobody is saying anything otherwise. But you cannot say what you did was right.

You legally paid for it after you pirated it. Because you did doesn't excuse the fact.

Not sure about hackinwhatever you talking about but I do software evals every day. As a matter of fact I recently did one that was about a 1.6mill purchase last week from IBM.

I tested it for 90 days before signing off. Most products have that availablity. You can get a 30-60-90 seat for eval if the company is legit about the product and wants to sell it.

Again not sure about the hackinslosh stuff but one would think you could get an eval before purchase.
I couldn't get an eval on a hackintosh, let's just put it that way. I'm running the OSX operating system on a standard PC. I seriously doubt the Apple store would let me evaulate OSX on my PC :)

I know that technically, what I did was wrong, however I did pay for it and I'm simply pointing out that some people do buy the software they have used.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
tupperware;4392293 said:
I couldn't get an eval on a hackintosh, let's just put it that way. I'm running the OSX operating system on a standard PC. I seriously doubt the Apple store would let me evaulate OSX on my PC :)

I know that technically, what I did was wrong, however I did pay for it and I'm simply pointing out that some people do buy the software they have used.

You are most certainly right. In your case w/ an OS, I don't see how you get to drive it as an eval. The same w/ any Windows OS too. It's not like we get a choice to kick the tires. One just has to go on the writeups and the reviews in those situations.

I get what you are saying though. :D

StevenOtero

Reaction score
It almost seems as if the people that really hate pirating are the ones that never had the cajones to do it.

Don't believe the hype, piracy is not hurting the industry....it's helping it.

Cassette recorders were going to ruin the music industry! oh my!

VHS recorders were going to ruin the TV/Movie industry! oh the humanity!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
StevenOtero;4392306 said:
It almost seems as if the people that really hate pirating are the ones that never had the cajones to do it.

i hear this argument also and let's compare it apples to apples in as much as we can, ok?

i can buy a cd and pull the mp3's and set them up for download. it costs you NOTHING to download it. and it can be downloaded a million times at still no cost at all.

now, what is the cost to put the song on 1,000,000 tapes? how you gonna distribute it? i mean, same thing right?

same for VHS - except those tapes cost more. now how much does it cost you to deliver that VHS tape to 1,000,000 people, much less the cost of the tapes themselves.

wow. so you can't really compare the 2. the digital age has changed all the rules and people on both sides are still trying to deal with it. when you can tell me how i'll copy a million songs or movies on their respective tapes and distribute them to a million people, THEN you can compare the 2.

to do it otherwise is to say you have "cajones" to steal.

if it were helping the industry the industry would not be trying so hard to stop it, now would they? they were the major ones behind SOPA and still fighting to protect their IP.

another stupid idea bites the dust.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
StevenOtero;4392306 said:

Walk a mile bro. You aren't slaving away w/ the product and having some teen snipe it for free under your nose and not pay you a single dime.

Don't kid yourself about artists getting what they deserve for their product. The recording industry is also criminal when it comes to them, same as the huge dev houses w/ games and properly paying the dev.

Piracy is good...jeebus christmas.

Don't come to my house. I don't want my 60 PANY missing because you wanted to test drive it before going to get your own.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
iceberg;4392319 said:
i hear this argument also and let's compare it apples to apples in as much as we can, ok?

i can buy a cd and pull the mp3's and set them up for download. it costs you NOTHING to download it. and it can be downloaded a million times at still no cost at all.

now, what is the cost to put the song on 1,000,000 tapes? how you gonna distribute it? i mean, same thing right?

same for VHS - except those tapes cost more. now how much does it cost you to deliver that VHS tape to 1,000,000 people, much less the cost of the tapes themselves.

wow. so you can't really compare the 2. the digital age has changed all the rules and people on both sides are still trying to deal with it. when you can tell me how i'll copy a million songs or movies on their respective tapes and distribute them to a million people, THEN you can compare the 2.

to do it otherwise is to say you have "cajones" to steal.

if it were helping the industry the industry would not be trying so hard to stop it, now would they? they were the major ones behind SOPA and still fighting to protect their IP.

another stupid idea bites the dust.
Hmm. If you were distributing 1 million unique songs that means you have to get them uploaded first. To upload 1 million songs at an average (And a generous average, mind you) of 300 kb/s and an average song size of 5mb it would take you 202 days to upload all of them, roughly. That's almost 7 months. If you're paying about $40 for your internet (Which is also generous, considering if you have 300 kb/s upload capability, it's probably more expensive) that means you're paying a little over $240 to be able to transfer that kind of thing and your bandwidth is saturated the whole time.

I can buy a pack of 100 DVD-R at 4.7 GB each at $24.29

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327340128&sr=1-1

To fill the same capacity of songs as I would transfer over the net would cost me about $260, but remember that the above scenario assumes a very good upload rate at a very cheap price. So the difference is about $20.

There you go :)

Hopefully my math didn't fail anywhere along the way.