Film Breakdown

birdwells1

Reaction score
What sucks is, Dak has regressed in this area. He was better at seeing the field, going through his progressions and pulling the trigger as a rookie.

The question is, why is he regressing and can something be done to stop his regression?

With our coaches I have zero faith in it. But if he doesn’t find a way to start doing that again, it won’t end well.

I really thing that it's a matter of him taking the league by storm, now that DCs have tape and can spot the things that he likes to do and the things that he doesn't like, it's easier to put him in an uncomfortable position.

zerofill

Reaction score
When I was teaching my teen daughter to drive I told her to look in her rear view and side view mirrors before changing lanes. One day as she was driving she looked in both mirrors and started to get over but a car was there. I asked her how did she miss seeing the car and it was just as I suspected, she was going throw the motion of looking at the mirrors but she wasn't actually taking in the info that the mirrors provided. I don't know if Dak has decided before the snap on who he's going to throw to and just goes through the motion of going through his reads and not taking in the info that reads are providing.

Except he is only using one mirror on most of those shotgun plays. He isn't looking anywhere else... unless it is 5 seconds into the play. Little late at that point in most cases. If you are going to take that snap at shotgun and completely turn yourself sideways, then move your head, or do the hop swivel that many of them do. There are also a lot that basically stay almost square to watch the field, then set their feet to throw. He needs to do something.

zerofill

Reaction score
I really thing that it's a matter of him taking the league by storm, now that DCs have tape and can spot the things that he likes to do and the things that he doesn't like, it's easier to put him in an uncomfortable position.

But he did at least look at the field... he doesn't do that now at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's a shame too because there were QBs on the market that the Cowboys could have brought in and they decided that Prescott, Rush & White was the key to a Super Bowl run. Who's running this team seriously? What does Will McClay think of Dak, I'm sure since he's a big time scout he knows that Dak sucks right?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Not wasting time watching any of “akoyes” crap takes, especially when he's been biased in the past. If you like it, stick with, just don’t get upset about others not buying in.
Did you even read what you quoted? The person said cool you don't agree tell us what's wrong besides they are bias so they're wrong and I'm not watching. Where is your breakdown to counterbalance his crap takes?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Until proven otherwise he's RG3 and if he was on any team but this one more of the Dak defenders would agree that's how I know they bias. He's been figured out but until this season plays out folks won't believe it. I hope he improves but accuracy is a have it or not thing. How many qbs have improved accuracy for real? I don't mean they start throwing nothing but short passes fools gold accuracy but really improve their overall accuracy? Probably not many so that's why I think he is who he is.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Some of us have to work than live in mommy's basement and have all day to create your own badly misinformed and biased videos.
Another idiot response from you, so let me enlighten you a little bit. I am 57 years old, run my own company and haven't lived in my Mother's basement in almost 40 years. You on the other hand state that you don't have time to create video's, yet you always seem to find time to show up and critisize anybody who doesn't share your opinion of Dak. Save the insults your not very good at doing it and all you usually wind up doing is making a fool of yourself

birdwells1

Reaction score
Another idiot response from you, so let me enlighten you a little bit. I am 57 years old, run my own company and haven't lived in my Mother's basement in almost 40 years. You on the other hand state that you don't have time to create video's, yet you always seem to find time to show up and critisize anybody who doesn't share your opinion of Dak. Save the insults your not very good at doing it and all you usually wind up doing is making a fool of yourself

Just so you know, I had to click the "show ignored" to see who you were responding to. That how much I value that poster's opinion, the only thing he adds is insults, nothing of substance.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dak’s mechanics were awful, and his ability to read the field was even worse, and his decision making at his position was not NFL caliber.

IMO— he is thinking way too much, and he is simply not processing information quickly enough to get through his reads and deliver the ball to the right guy on time.

This is a timing based offense— and right now, the QB is not on time. That is a giant problem.

How much stems from a lack of work in the preseason, chemistry with new personnel, and credit to the pressure he was under from the Carolina front 7 is up for debate. I think it all played a part— but Dak’s mechanics crumble when he starts to get hit, and his decision making falls apart from there.

In other words— he is a functional QB under pristine conditions— but under pressure and behind the chains— he is a liability.

I get that the Cowboys have seen him play well before— so they believe he can do it again— but he is no longer taking positive steps in his development as a QB. He needs to play better— or they need to pull the plug.

Huge year for Dak and he could not have gotten off to a worse start. Time to dig down and look himself in the mirror and deliver a high quality performance on Sunday.

Dak will have to find some way to quit over thinking things. If I were the coaches I would piss him off and get him fired up about the other team disrespecting him. That should do it.

If not he may be too fragile to be the starter.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The difference between year 1 and the other years is that Zeke was gaining significant yardage on first down and putting Dallas in short yardage situations.

That's not actually true at all. Elliott averaged more yards on first-and-10 in 2016, but that was entirely because of longer runs -- runs that picked up another first down, not put us in short-yardage situations. He had 33 of those runs in 2016 but has had only 13 since then -- and none of those have gone more than 25 yards. On carries that resulted in a second down, he has actually averaged slightly MORE yards in the past two seasons (3.2 yards) than he did as a rookie (3.0 yards), and a MUCH lower percentage of his first-and-10 carries have resulted in a second-and-8 or more over the past two years (30.6 percent) than as a rookie (47.0 percent).

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yet, you don't understand why Dak is here to stay.

HungryLion

Reaction score

That’s part of it sure, but he was going through progressions better then. No matter what the defense was doing.

He was also hitting receivers downfield more regularly.

Number1

Reaction score

Pretty in dept look at last weeks issues, if we can get some of this cleaned up the season may not be lost.

no dis to the poster but ... as Dak works through a progression of course he's looking at "one side of the field" - but often his 1st read had nothing to do with coverage

that is extremely *non timing system* ... that's fixed progression WCO stuff Scott's been adding and exactly the sort of "weird" adjustments Beasley and Dez were pissed about last season - and the coaches went to even more of it. WOW

for example Dak didn't see Darwin on both plays until late because Darwin was his last read, instead his first and second reads were bunched right

another example, in this O Hurns would have been Dak's 1st read on the single WR side playing X on the out patterns they missed - he was the last read .

if they'd just run the normal progression Darwin is his 2nd read - he's hit both patterns to Witten many times, but Witten was higher in the progression, as Darwin should have been. The same with Hurns on the outs to ... bread and butter for Dez and Williams. With Dak or Tony.

* BTW, for this system to work your 1st / 2nd option should almost all always be deep. The progressions didn't make sense and that was the biggest issue most of the day, aggravating bad pass blocking. It took away what Dak does best - pre-snap reads working through timing progressions w/ discipline and w/o panicking.
Their best paly is rolling Dak to 2 WR side and they never did - I guess trying to be unpredictable.

notice slants (a core timing pattern) were the only routes which consistently worked. Normal timing routes and progressions would have won this game. For example, with 9 in the box not once did I see a hitch and go or skin post from any WR - duh - those are quick release with a 50% shot at a big play - normal JG stuff we seen him do as QB / OC / HC. But Scott tripped out. Jason had to approve it. And Dak's misses are on him.

all 3 deserve to be on the hot seat - the O game was silly and Dak didn't make enough plays.

just go to the core timing system and execute