Film Review of 2014 Draft Class

dantheman41

Reaction score
Lamarcus Joyner (Florida St) Scouting Report

Positives:
Just a flat out play making football player. Excellent special teams player, and return guy. Has elite athleticism and closing speed. Always around the ball. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Plays extremely aggressive, and excellent tackler. Routinely blows up running plays in the backfield despite his size. Excellent blitzer.

Negatives: Of course his height is a huge question mark. Teams aren't going to want him playing outside corner because of his height.

How he could fit on this team: Doubt this team drafts another nickel corner. But if so, he would play nickel corner.

Overall feeling: Reminds me of a young Aaron Glenn. Major chip on his shoulder. Love the player, but I doubt team goes in this direction. He is an excellent football player. Can have a number of different roles on a team, and excel at all of them.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Darqueze Dennard (Michigan St) Scouting Report

Positives:
Willing tackler. Physical player. Plays the ball really well in the air. Played both off coverage and man to man successfully. Knocks a lot of balls down, or out from the receiver. Hard to get away from when he gets his hands on you. Nice job of getting off blocks in the run game.

Negatives: Little too physical down the field, going to be called for lot of defensive pass interference and holdings. Lacks the closing speed and really struggles covering crossing routes and shallow routes across the middle of field. Do not see great speed or athletcisim. Does not possess great height or length.

How he could fit on this team: Can play either outside corner spot. Has experience playing both spots.

Overall feeling: He is solid player. I don't think he has the physical skill set to be a shut down, play making corner in this league, but he can be a really solid one. Similar kind of player to Brandon Carr but better in the run game. Low ceiling, high floor kind of player. He will be a solid player in this league, but don't think anything more.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Bradley Roby (Ohio St) Scouting Report

Positives:
Excellent athleticism. Plays 100 mph every play. Really good closing speed. Plays the ball really well in the air. He is a play maker, every game he makes a few WOW plays. Excellent instincts, reads and reacts really well.

Negatives: Not a good tackler, whiffs on way too many ankle tackles. Gives way too much cushion to receivers, plays off 10 yards a lot (Might be coaching decision). Gives up a lot of 7 and 8 yard passes. Does not possess great size. Cannot get off blocks in the run game. Needs to get stronger.

How he could fit on this team: Not sure how this team is going to use their secondary next season. If they want more man coverage, then this is not the guy for you. But if you want to do more zone and tampa 2 stuff, this guy is a perfect fit.

Overall feeling: I feel this player is a mixed bag. He will make WOW plays every game, but he will also give up a lot of plays too. He has the athleticism to be really good. Depends on the direction of this coaching staff whether this player is a fit. He has a really huge ceiling, but he will have some growing pains. He is more of a zone system corner, but needs to be a better tackler to be a great zone corner.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma St) Scouting Report

Positives:
Excellent size and length. Really good special teams player. Not fooled by double moves. Plays ball really well in the air. Uses his length really well in making it hard for receivers to get away from him. Good reliable tackler. Play maker. Rarely gives any separation. Really fluid mover for a guy with his size and length.

Negatives: Not much of a factor in the run game. Not a real aggressive player. Does not possess elite athleticism or speed, but good enough. Not a lot of experience in bump and run, plays mostly off coverage.

How he could fit on this team: Can play on either side of the field.

Overall feeling: Favorite corner so far. Has the length, athleticism and coverage ability to be great. Had some nice battles with Mike Davis from Texas. While Davis caught some passes, every pass was contested.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jason Verrett (TCU) Scouting Report

Positives:
Play maker. Excellent and willing tackler. Just a flat out football player. Really quick and explosive. Can cover receivers on both outside and inside. Good blitzer. Always around the ball. Contests every pass, allows no separation. Plays both off coverage and bump and run successfully. Really physical for a guy his size. Excellent leaping ability. Plays the ball in the air excellent. Plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Negatives: His size is obviously the biggest worry. Little too physical down the field, and gets called for lot of penalties.

How he could fit on this team: Can play either side or in the slot. Can fit in any scheme.

Overall feeling: Has a lot of Honey Badger in him. A flat out baller! He does everything well. Really close between him and Gilbert for me. I actually give Verrett the edge, despite the size. Two totally different players with different skill sets. I think he is going to be awesome. Excellent natural coverage guy. Shut down best receiver every game. His athleticism and vertical jumping ability helps neutralize his lack of size.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Dan the Man Big Board
Rankings of Players I Reviewed (Updated 2/5)

These are just my personal opinions, and I know I am going to get flamed for this. But this is how I view these players. I am putting all the hybrid DE's and 3-4 OLB's in the edge rusher category. The OLB's I have listed are either weak or strong side linebackers in this scheme. I did my best ranking these players based on my memory and scouting reports of them.

Edge Rusher
Jadeveon Clowney
Khalil Mack
Anthony Barr
Marcus Smith
Michael Sam
Dee Ford
Kyle Van Noy
Carl Bradford
Jeremiah Attaochu
Trent Murphy
Ben Gardner
Scott Crichton
Kony Ealy
Kareem Martin
Christian Jones
Devon Kennard
Demarcus Lawrence
Jackson Jeffcoat
Ethan Westbrooks
Cassius Marsh
Josh Mauro
Chris Smith

DT
Aaron Donald
Dominique Easley
Will Sutton
Ra'Shede Hageman
DaQuan Jones
Louis Nix III
Justin Ellis
Stephon Tuitt
Timmy Jernigan
Kelcy Quarles
Calvin Barnett
Ego Ferguson
Shamar Stephen
Caraun Reid
Anthony Johnson
Eathyn Manumaleauna
Brent Urban
Viliami Moala
Will Clarke
Deandre Coleman

OLB
Trevor Reilly
Christian Kirksey
Telvin Smith
Ryan Shazier
Jordan Zumwalt
Jordan Tripp

MLB
CJ Mosley
Shayne Skov
Chris Borland
Yarwin Smallwood

S
Calvin Pryor
Jimmie Ward
Terrence Brooks
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Deone Bucannon
Dion Bailey
Ahmad Dixon
Ed Reynolds

CB
Jason Verrett
Justin Gilbert
Lamarcus Joyner
Darqueze Dennard
Bradley Roby

tm1119

Reaction score
Dan the Man Big Board
Rankings of Players I Reviewed (Updated 2/5)

These are just my personal opinions, and I know I am going to get flamed for this. But this is how I view these players. I am putting all the hybrid DE's and 3-4 OLB's in the edge rusher category. The OLB's I have listed are either weak or strong side linebackers in this scheme. I did my best ranking these players based on my memory and scouting reports of them.

Edge Rusher
Jadeveon Clowney
Khalil Mack
Anthony Barr
Marcus Smith
Michael Sam
Dee Ford
Kyle Van Noy
Carl Bradford
Jeremiah Attaochu
Trent Murphy
Ben Gardner
Scott Crichton
Kony Ealy
Kareem Martin
Christian Jones
Devon Kennard
Demarcus Lawrence
Jackson Jeffcoat
Ethan Westbrooks
Cassius Marsh
Josh Mauro
Chris Smith

DT
Aaron Donald
Dominique Easley
Will Sutton
Ra'Shede Hageman
DaQuan Jones
Louis Nix III
Justin Ellis
Stephon Tuitt
Timmy Jernigan
Kelcy Quarles
Calvin Barnett
Ego Ferguson
Shamar Stephen
Caraun Reid
Anthony Johnson
Eathyn Manumaleauna
Brent Urban
Viliami Moala
Will Clarke
Deandre Coleman

OLB
Trevor Reilly
Christian Kirksey
Telvin Smith
Ryan Shazier
Jordan Zumwalt
Jordan Tripp

MLB
CJ Mosley
Shayne Skov
Chris Borland
Yarwin Smallwood

S
Calvin Pryor
Jimmie Ward
Terrence Brooks
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Deone Bucannon
Dion Bailey
Ahmad Dixon
Ed Reynolds

CB
Jason Verrett
Justin Gilbert
Lamarcus Joyner
Darqueze Dennard
Bradley Roby

Dream scenario for both of us? Trade down in the 1st and have the draft go like this:

1st- Donald
2nd- Skov
3rd A- Jimmie Ward
3rd B- Sam

dantheman41

Reaction score
Dream scenario for both of us? Trade down in the 1st and have the draft go like this:

1st- Donald
2nd- Skov
3rd A- Jimmie Ward
3rd B- Sam

That would be amazing! As much as I love skov, I think I would rather have a player who can play weak side to compete with Carter. Plus carter is free agent next year

tm1119

Reaction score
That would be amazing! As much as I love skov, I think I would rather have a player who can play weak side to compete with Carter. Plus carter is free agent next year

I hear ya, I'm not exactly crazy about Carter's future in Dallas, but if you're asking me to choose Carter or Wilver/Holloman starting next year I'm going with Carter every time.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Marcus Robertson (Florida) Scouting Report

Positives:
Very fluid in coverage and allows very little separation. Has the athletic ability to play any type of coverage. Played off coverage and press man to man successfully. Has good height and length. Good catch up and closing speed. Not easily faked out of play action and pump fakes. Does a nice job covering all kinds of routes.

Negatives: Does not always play with great awareness. Not a ball hawk. Not a physical football player, needs to get a lot stronger. Too passive, and acts like he wants nothing to do with ball carriers. Not a good tackler. Gets away with a lot of holding and pulling on jerseys.

How he could fit on this team: Can play any corner spot. Has the ability and quickness to play in the slot as well, even though he didn't in college.

Overall feeling: Good player. Nothing WOWS me with him, but he does a lot of things well. Has a lot of experience in college, and got tested every game A LOT. Needs to get stronger to be effective at the next level. Reminds me in a lot of ways of Morris Claiborne. Solid coverage guy.

dantheman41

Reaction score
I hear ya, I'm not exactly crazy about Carter's future in Dallas, but if you're asking me to choose Carter or Wilver/Holloman starting next year I'm going with Carter every time.

Not sure I agree with that. Holloman showed me in preseason and in the 4 or 5 games that he played that he is an excellent fit in this scheme. He is a playmaker. Carter struggled all year in this scheme. Weakside linebacker in this scheme is the 2nd most important position in this scheme behind the 3 tech. If Carter starts and plays like last year again our defense is going to be really bad again. Not saying we give up on him, but we need a Plan B. Between Holloman and Wilber, I think we will be just fine at Strong side.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech) Scouting Report

Positives:
Excellent size and length. Good special teams player. Really solid tackler. Good closing speed. Excellent against the run. Excellent blitzer. Has experience in the slot and on the outside, does both excellent. Physical player. Knocks a lot of balls down. Very smart. They use him to do a million different things.

Negatives: Being knit picky here, but over pursues at times. Tends to go for the big hits instead of tackling with good form, which can hurt him at the next level.

How he could fit on this team: Can play anywhere. Outside, slot, you name it.

Overall feeling: Love this kid! Best all around corner I have reviewed. Has no glaring weaknesses in my estimation. Has the speed, length, aggressiveness, tackling ability. Makes a ton of plays on the ball.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Loucheiz Purifoy (Florida) Scouting Report

Positives:
Excellent size and length. Excellent physical tools. Extremely athletic, and excellent closing speed. Good blitzer. Good special teams player. Huge ceiling. Has the physical upside of Patrick Peterson, but like Peterson very raw coming out.

Negatives: Has had off the field issues. Very raw in his technique and coverage ability.

How he could fit on this team: He could play either outside corner spot, and can probably play in the slot as well.

Overall feeling: Sky is the limit for this kid. Probably has the highest ceiling of all the corners. But need to dig deep on his off the field issues. Needs to be refined in his technique. But like Patrick Peterson, with the proper coaching it doesn't need to take long.

tm1119

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that. Holloman showed me in preseason and in the 4 or 5 games that he played that he is an excellent fit in this scheme. He is a playmaker. Carter struggled all year in this scheme. Weakside linebacker in this scheme is the 2nd most important position in this scheme behind the 3 tech. If Carter starts and plays like last year again our defense is going to be really bad again. Not saying we give up on him, but we need a Plan B. Between Holloman and Wilber, I think we will be just fine at Strong side.

In that case play Skov at mike and Lee at WLB. Probably too ballsy of a move to make but it probably help with Lee's injury problems as well as getting our best 11 on the field.

Who do you like as a WLB in this draft then? I don't see many guys being able to play there right away. Mosley, Telvin Smith, ?

dantheman41

Reaction score
Victor Hampton (South Carolina) Scouting Report

Positives:
Stout, physical player. Excellent at getting his hands on balls. Play maker, knocks a lot of balls up in the air. Good tackler. Good catch up speed. Plays both the slot and on the outside.

Negatives: Not the best athlete. Does not have great quickness. Struggles against quicker receivers. Lacks the height. Not great in press. When he doesn't get his hands on you, receivers easily get past him. Gives too many free releases.

How he could fit on this team: Can play any corner spot.

Overall feeling: He is a good player, but not a huge fan. Reminds me of Dennard on the Patriots. Has his limitations because of his size and bulk. I see him more as a late 3rd or 4th round player.

dantheman41

Reaction score
In that case play Skov at mike and Lee at WLB. Probably too ballsy of a move to make but it probably help with Lee's injury problems as well as getting our best 11 on the field.

Who do you like as a WLB in this draft then? I don't see many guys being able to play there right away. Mosley, Telvin Smith, ?

Not a fan of Mosley at WLB, more of a Mike to me. I really really love this kid Kirksey at Iowa. Tripp from Montana isn't far behind. Shazier and Telvin Smith can play weak as well. But 1st or 2nd round is too rich for them in my blood. I think Kirksey is better then either of them.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Not a fan of Mosley at WLB, more of a Mike to me. I really really love this kid Kirksey at Iowa. Tripp from Montana isn't far behind. Shazier and Telvin Smith can play weak as well. But 1st or 2nd round is too rich for them in my blood. I think Kirksey is better then either of them.

I probably shouldn't say I like him better then those 2, but I rather have Kirksey in the 4th then Shazier or Smith in the 2nd. I like Kirksey's value better. I don't think he is a huge step down.

tm1119

Reaction score

I'll have to check out Kirksey, haven't watched anything on him yet. I agree on not wanting Mosley or Smith where they are slotted. Shazier interests me though, his weight and physique at the combine will be something to watch though. I'd give him some thought in the 2nd. And I like Tripp a lot, but I'm not sure you can expect a rookie from Montana to be any better than what we have in Carter year 1.

dantheman41

Reaction score
I'll have to check out Kirksey, haven't watched anything on him yet. I agree on not wanting Mosley or Smith where they are slotted. Shazier interests me though, his weight and physique at the combine will be something to watch though. I'd give him some thought in the 2nd. And I like Tripp a lot, but I'm not sure you can expect a rookie from Montana to be any better than what we have in Carter year 1.

Good points. I like Shazier's athletic ability, but he really struggles getting off blocks and in tackling. And to be honest that worries me. If a linebacker whiffs on a lot of tackles, and can't get off blocks I don't care how athletic he is. If I can get Smith in the 3rd I will take that. I am just worried he is going to lose some of his speed and explosion when he gains weight.

Kirksey is not the athlete of Shazier or Smith, but he is excellent in coverage. Lot of experience covering wide receivers, tight ends and running backs. Very solid tackler, and has a non stop motor. I just think he is a very, solid player with no glaring weaknesses.

tm1119

Reaction score
Good points. I like Shazier's athletic ability, but he really struggles getting off blocks and in tackling. And to be honest that worries me. If a linebacker whiffs on a lot of tackles, and can't get off blocks I don't care how athletic he is. If I can get Smith in the 3rd I will take that. I am just worried he is going to lose some of his speed and explosion when he gains weight.

Kirksey is not the athlete of Shazier or Smith, but he is excellent in coverage. Lot of experience covering wide receivers, tight ends and running backs. Very solid tackler, and has a non stop motor. I just think he is a very, solid player with no glaring weaknesses.

I dont know about all that....not sure you can really say a guy that had 100 solo tackles in a 13 game season struggles with tackling. Maybe you just watched an off game or something.

And I only found tape on Kirksey vs Nebraska and he looks just ok to me. A little stiff for my liking. I'd worry about his ability to handle the transition from Big 10 athletes to NFL athletes. He'd be an ok pick around the 4th round but not much higher.