Film Session: Why Dak changes Linehan’s play

HanD

Reaction score
You can hear Romo's aggressiveness from the booth every week. He would be a defenses worst nightmare as OC because they would be on their heels all game long because he is coming at you!

agreed. he has no reason imo to get into coaching though. he has the mind for it but he has a cushy job and he's good at it. more time for the family.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can hear Romo's aggressiveness from the booth every week. He would be a defenses worst nightmare as OC because they would be on their heels all game long because he is coming at you!

I loved him too, but for me, Romo's biggest issue was how frequently and easily he would audible out of running plays. He got better towards the end but I strongly feel that half of the "abandoning the run" stuff was a result of his changing plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agreed. he has no reason imo to get into coaching though. he has the mind for it but he has a cushy job and he's good at it. more time for the family.

Absolutely, Romo's "won". He might not have a gaudy, oversized ring in his hand, but he's got the job and the life that most, if not all, of the Super Bowl quarterbacks envy right now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What I really don’t like is now that It’s known the thumbs up means go route, defenses will look for any communication between Dak and Cooper at the line and adjust.

Doesn't matter. Defenses know what we're doing anyways.

HanD

Reaction score
I loved him too, but for me, Romo's biggest issue was how frequently and easily he would audible out of running plays. He got better towards the end but I strongly feel that half of the "abandoning the run" stuff was a result of his changing plays.

he definitely did that at times. part of it was his confidence in his abilities and knowing what the "right" call was. there are times though like on short to go situations and the goalline when you just have to strap your helmet on and play.

conner01

Reaction score
it is staggering that the eagles would play single high press in many of those clips and have no fear of our WRs going deep with a bunch of beat up cbs. that says something about linehan and how predictable our routes are imo.
Or their fear of the run game
Or they gamble the QB won’t hit the receiver
Or just a dumb DC

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Defenses know what we're doing anyways.
557 yards says differently.

Linehan has been really good between the 20s the last 5 weeks. It’s the red zone where it needs to get better.

Still would rather have that problem than the one we did the first 8 weeks of not even being able to get to the red zone consistently.

HanD

Reaction score
Had Cooper not said anything no one would have known and this wouldn’t be a story. Dak yells kill kill on 60% of plays. Changes happen all the time.

What I really don’t like is now that It’s known the thumbs up means go route, defenses will look for any communication between Dak and Cooper at the line and adjust.

dak's gonna have to do some of that peyton manning stuff and throw fake signals in there.

i don't like cam but @2:00 mark this is hand signals.....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had Cooper not said anything no one would have known and this wouldn’t be a story. Dak yells kill kill on 60% of plays. Changes happen all the time.

Signs changes weekly, sometimes even at halftime. All kinds of suttle cals, tap the helmet , tug the facemask, rub the hip etc. Defense is too busy adjusting, lining up, looking at the ball to catch it most times.

conner01

Reaction score
557 yards says differently.

Linehan has been really good between the 20s the last 5 weeks. It’s the red zone where it needs to get better.

Still would rather have that problem than the one we did the first 8 weeks of not even being able to get to the red zone consistently.
Same OC
Different receiver
We went into the year thinking we could win with inferior WR and we couldn’t
Could we have with a better offensive scheme?
Does talent make the OC or the OC make the talent

HanD

Reaction score
Or their fear of the run game
Or they gamble the QB won’t hit the receiver
Or just a dumb DC

fear of the run game sure...single high makes sense to put another guy in the box. not putting sorry cbs in press coverage though.

jim schwartz is a tool but he is a good DC.

it isn't a gamble when you have been predictable for years. the def guessed right many times that it was a hook or slant. only dak changing it at the line opened up the big td.

linehan is an issue imo.

Same OC
Different receiver
We went into the year thinking we could win with inferior WR and we couldn’t
Could we have with a better offensive scheme?
Does talent make the OC or the OC make the talent

it is both. a good oc can make the talent. the talent here in amari makes linehan. that's pretty obvious.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Gee, you don't think defenses can see communication on audibles? They can't adjust personnel or often, even coverage, quickly enough to react.

It is cute that you think the thumbs up means "yes, run a go route" and that our QB is too stupid to mix that up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
maybe. i don't remember seeing dallas cbs sitting often on routes like that with single high safety play.

I have seen Dallas defense point out the play and defend it before the snap of the ball. There is a ton of film every team looks at and no one is throwing new stuff out there. Hell every game I watch it is not hard to figure out what a team is about to do, if I can figure it based on down, distance and tendency of a team I know damn well NFL teams know it too. I'm glad Cooper pointed out about the stop route and how Philly was defending it and disappointed that Linehan does not use certain plays to setup a different play. DB will normally back off on stop route out of fear of the double move and getting beaten deep, Dallas and Linehan need to do better about setting up plays off of base plays they run.

I would also add Dak has to make those changes as well at the line of scrimmage based on the coverage

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
it is staggering that the eagles would play single high press in many of those clips and have no fear of our WRs going deep with a bunch of beat up cbs. that says something about linehan and how predictable our routes are imo.
Maybe partially, but it says something a lot more about Zeke.

HanD

Reaction score
I have seen Dallas defense point out the play and defend it before the snap of the ball. There is a ton of film every team looks at and no one is throwing new stuff out there. Hell every game I watch it is not hard to figure out what a team is about to do, if I can figure it based on down, distance and tendency of a team I know damn well NFL teams know it too. I'm glad Cooper pointed out about the stop route and how Philly was defending it and disappointed that Linehan does not use certain plays to setup a different play. DB will normally back off on stop route out of fear of the double move and getting beaten deep, Dallas and Linehan need to do better about setting up plays off of base plays they run.

I would also add Dak has to make those changes as well at the line of scrimmage based on the coverage

very fair. yes most defenses point out plays. but cbs and schemes aren't usually this bold imo. i think the point is definitely agreed that linehan need to do better setting up plays and mixing up routes to at least make the defense think a bit more. dak audibles like that one will also go a long way to helping open things up.

HanD

Reaction score
Maybe partially, but it says something a lot more about Zeke.

the single high part has to do with zeke, but i'm talking mostly about the cb play sitting short with no help over the top. the down and distance matter also. to me this says more about the route tree than zeke. why would the corners sitting on short routes have anything to do with zeke?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
very fair. yes most defenses point out plays. but cbs and schemes aren't usually this bold imo. i think the point is definitely agreed that linehan need to do better setting up plays and mixing up routes to at least make the defense think a bit more. dak audibles like that one will also go a long way to helping open things up.

I hope to see this build a great confidence between Dak and Cooper.