Film Session: Why Dak changes Linehan’s play

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
dak's gonna have to do some of that peyton manning stuff and throw fake signals in there.

i don't like cam but @2:00 mark this is hand signals.....

Payton was a damn surgeon. Glade I got to witness his era. Sadly I'd have to say the same for Brady also.

New fans 30, 40 years from now are gonna wonder what it was like to watch those guys.

Hopefully I'm around to tell them a few stories!

dckid

Reaction score
You can hear Romo's aggressiveness from the booth every week. He would be a defenses worst nightmare as OC because they would be on their heels all game long because he is coming at you!

Romo I'm sure is a great football mind but he has a 20 year career ahead of him at CBS or whoever else will take the NFL package. There is no way he he leaves to coach. It makes no sense.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I have seen Dallas defense point out the play and defend it before the snap of the ball. There is a ton of film every team looks at and no one is throwing new stuff out there. Hell every game I watch it is not hard to figure out what a team is about to do, if I can figure it based on down, distance and tendency of a team I know damn well NFL teams know it too. I'm glad Cooper pointed out about the stop route and how Philly was defending it and disappointed that Linehan does not use certain plays to setup a different play. DB will normally back off on stop route out of fear of the double move and getting beaten deep, Dallas and Linehan need to do better about setting up plays off of base plays they run.

I would also add Dak has to make those changes as well at the line of scrimmage based on the coverage

Right. Imo a WR shouldnt have to tell the captain controlling the ship which way to steer. Dak has to grow a pair if things are going to work long term.

Praxit

Reaction score
..you wonder if this will get Linehan to change things a little going forward? Maybe Dak and Cooper should just call their own plays..lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
corners sitting on hook routes with a single high safety....and these corners aren't deion, revis, or even byron jones for that matter. this is rasual douglas, sidney jones coming off injury with matt (?) leblanc and bausby. bad corners not afraid in a scheme where they are being left alone with little help....
Joey Tribiani was out there?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Signs changes weekly, sometimes even at halftime. All kinds of suttle cals, tap the helmet , tug the facemask, rub the hip etc. Defense is too busy adjusting, lining up, looking at the ball to catch it most times.

Not to mention a wrong guess can bite them in the azz .........

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I would think we replace Linehan in the offseason and it sounds like Garrett considered it this year and during the bye week. But at this point you can't change your offense overnight, gotta finish the season with Linehan

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right. Imo a WR shouldnt have to tell the captain controlling the ship which way to steer. Dak has to grow a pair if things are going to work long term.

I have no issue with the WR communicating with his QB.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Really a non-story. I think this happens every sunday pretty much every team. A "good" QB and receiver have to communicate if a defense is starting to sit on a route the receiver needs to tell the QB this so the next time that play is called you have signal to change the route.

It's a story because everyone knows this is something the cowboys fail to do unlike other teams every week.

Before coop got here nobody had the stones to draw up their own plays. Not even dak.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It's a story because everyone knows this is something the cowboys fail to do unlike other teams every week.

Before coop got here nobody had the stones to draw up their own plays. Not even dak.
Which is a good thing. If he is going to take the next step he has to be become "riskier" because even the best teams have QB that makes an adjustment on the play called.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Film Session: Why Dak Changed Linehan’s Play

Thanks for posting. All QB's miss some times. Throw 54 times and 42 completions, I say good job. Biggest difference between young Dak and experienced Romo, Romo often changed plays at the line but that was experienced Romo. He learned how to do that after about 5 years in the NFL.

In an instant gratification era and in the words of Queen.... I want it all, I want it all, I want it all AND I WANT IT NOW! Lighten up Dak haters, skill debaters and masters of your own domain

JGRXXN

Reaction score
Had Cooper not said anything no one would have known and this wouldn’t be a story. Dak yells kill kill on 60% of plays. Changes happen all the time.

What I really don’t like is now that It’s known the thumbs up means go route, defenses will look for any communication between Dak and Cooper at the line and adjust.

Hand signals get changed weekly nobody is that dumb

JGRXXN

Reaction score
the single high part has to do with zeke, but i'm talking mostly about the cb play sitting short with no help over the top. the down and distance matter also. to me this says more about the route tree than zeke. why would the corners sitting on short routes have anything to do with zeke?

Single High because of Zeke sitting on routes bc of the route tree

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Had Cooper not said anything no one would have known and this wouldn’t be a story. Dak yells kill kill on 60% of plays. Changes happen all the time.

What I really don’t like is now that It’s known the thumbs up means go route, defenses will look for any communication between Dak and Cooper at the line and adjust.

Signals and calls can change weekly. Common at all levels of football.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Best part was where they showed that Gallup hesitated on that one deep ball. Had he not, its probably right on the money. So at the end of the day there were 4 deep balls and Dak hit on 2 of the 3 where he could. Great percentage. And he also had that 35 yarder to Cooper that didnt go for a TD.
He hesitated on the short fade for a TD also. He's got to stop doing that.