Video: Film Study: Analyzing Dak Prescott's first game back

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I always enjoy this guy's take. I know some think he is full of beans. But he does offer some insight.

The first play they break down is typical poor play design. Why are all of the receivers running the same direction? Defense just flows to the ball easily that way. Outside receiver Z should be running a comeback to the far sideline.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
He was moving well, until he didn't, and got sacked. Dak's internal clock is mostly a second late.

The scout only showed the first sack. it was clear Smith, and most of the offensive line were behind on the snap. I agree with the narrator that the center snapped the ball a tick early. Because Smith was late getting out of his stance, this gave the advantage to Hutchinson, the defensive end.

Your assessment is incorrect on this play since Dak could not step up because of the rush, and the DE got to him before any of the receivers cleared.

You are entitled to your opinion. But perhaps you should have watched the video a second time. The fault on that sack was not Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I always enjoy this guy's take. I know some think he is full of beans. But he does offer some insight.

Why would anyone not like some guy breaking down with film of exactly what happened. Probably because some have an agenda and this disproves it.

So the rust part............always get a kick out of this. If a guy misses a throw early its because he was "rusty". So what was "rusty" about Dak? Was it that first throw that was a little high that should have been caught?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
The scout only showed the first sack. it was clear Smith, and most of the offensive line were behind on the snap. I agree with the narrator that the center snapped the ball a tick early. Because Smith was late getting out of his stance, this gave the advantage to Hutchinson, the defensive end.

Your assessment is incorrect on this play since Dak could not step up because of the rush, and the DE got to him before any of the receivers cleared.

You are entitled to your opinion. But perhaps you should have watched the video a second time. The fault on that sack was not Dak.
I watched the game and there was one sack that I remember was clearly on Dak for holding the ball too long.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He didn't do anything more or less than Rush did the past 5 weeks. No turnovers was a good start, though.
he did a lot more. attacked down field a lot more than rush and the balls, are just faster out of his hands....I mean when rush threw and out pattern, I would go to the kitchen, make a sandwich...realize I ran out of mustard, go to store, get two kinds of mustard, make my sandwich, take a bite, be back at my chair and the ball would just barely get there and be knocked down.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
3 points at halftime against arguably the worst defense in the NFL... I dont need film break down to know he was bad.
I want better output from the offense as well. why Moore got away from the run, baffles me.
Noah brown did have a fumble inside the 5.....that's on brown, else that would have been 7 points easily.

philly had 0 points in first quarter. WFT had 0 points at the half. vikings scored 0 in the first quarter. they are not a good defense, but tend to fall apart later in the game for some reason. not sure why.

pansophy

Reaction score
He was moving well, until he didn't, and got sacked. Dak's internal clock is mostly a second late.
That was the big thing I noticed -- Rush gets rid the ball way faster than Dak. Dak has way more velocity on his throws and seemed to be trying to attack downfield more than Rush.

starfan1

Reaction score
I watched the game and there was one sack that I remember was clearly on Dak for holding the ball too long.
the only other sack was the other by Hutchinsin where dak appeared to stumble and fall it wasnt holding the ball too long but that DE was on him fast. It was dak tripping either over a lineman or the imaginary turf monster so Im not sure what game you were watching or you just have it your mind that he holds the ball to long and you see it regardless of what the fact say

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Why would anyone not like some guy breaking down with film of exactly what happened. Probably because some have an agenda and this disproves it.

So the rust part............always get a kick out of this. If a guy misses a throw early its because he was "rusty". So what was "rusty" about Dak? Was it that first throw that was a little high that should have been caught?

I have posted this guy's work several times. Twice a poster, the same guy, made a remark the Scout has wrong about his assessments. Not certain I agree with that comment. But like so much of what is posted here, opinions are painted as facts, and seldom have any explanation as to why the critic thinks the Scout was incorrect.

My contention, and this is opinion, the passing game needs to be practiced daily for the components to accomplish their goal. Rusty has a connotation this is the passer out of sync.

I go back to Quincy Carter and his epic failure in the Cardinal game that got him benched and in a clear cut screaming match with Jerry on the sidelines.

Read/react is an aspect of the passing game. I am not clever enough to know when that is taking place or not. But for this to work, both the quarterback and receiver must see the defense the same and conclude equally where the route is to be run.

To me that comes down to practice. Six weeks off, with little to no pre-season in-game conditions, MIGHT throw off the QB. But then there are so many variables, and I am not an expert I could be way off on this.