Final Big Board

cnuball21

Reaction score
If they didnt keep on rotating him, would you agree that 3T is where he's the most productive?

Man I really don't know. I know he started some games for us at the 1 last year and has production there and as a DE.

Size wise 3T makes the most sense but honestly have no idea where most of his production comes from.

Lane21Train

Reaction score
At this point i still feel like Hurst is our pick at 19 unless the rise of Edmunds pushes Smith down to us just the way the board falls

cowboyec

Reaction score
My Board....for now....of who most likely will be there.
•Marcus Davenport,DE-Utsa
•Maurice Hurst,DT-Michigan
•Isaiah Wynn,OG-Georgia
•Will Hernandez,OG-Utep
•Harold Landry,DE/LB-Boston College
•Rashaan Evans,LB-Alabama

Smith,Edmunds,James,Ridley,Vea,Payne off the board before we pick.
after the combine,Davenport probably joins that list too.

cnuball21

Reaction score
At this point i still feel like Hurst is our pick at 19 unless the rise of Edmunds pushes Smith down to us just the way the board falls

I feel like he fits the mold of what Marinelli wants, it will just depend on where the team sees Irving moving forward.

Verdict

Reaction score
My Board....for now....of who most likely will be there.
•Marcus Davenport,DE-Utsa
•Maurice Hurst,DT-Michigan
•Isaiah Wynn,OG-Georgia
•Will Hernandez,OG-Utep
•Harold Landry,DE/LB-Boston College
•Rashaan Evans,LB-Alabama

Smith,Edmunds,James,Ridley,Vea,Payne off the board before we pick.
after the combine,Davenport probably joins that list too.

I think there is a "chance" Vea is there at #19. But if he is, I'm not sure we would pull the trigger on him.

Personally I would if the grade is there. We need some inside pressure in a bad way.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think there is a "chance" Vea is there at #19. But if he is, I'm not sure we would pull the trigger on him.

Personally I would if the grade is there. We need some inside pressure in a bad way.
I dont fall for thw narrative that the Cowboys dont value the DT position.

We were reportedly very high on Donald and were going to draft him if the Rams hadnt.

The board just hasnt fallen correctly for us to take a DT in the 1st since we go BPA

sdfidaho

Reaction score

I can hear AT&T Stadium rocking with the chant of Vea..Vea..Vea..Vea now! You don't think Jerry would pull the trigger!?!?

cowboyec

Reaction score
I can hear AT&T Stadium rocking with the chant of Vea..Vea..Vea..Vea now! You don't think Jerry would pull the trigger!?!?
it'll be like The Undertaker's entrance if we draft him.
The place will POP......BIG-TIME.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Average Cowboys fans will not know Vea. They'll want a pass rusher or skill position player. Some will want a QB. Most will want a big name like many that wanted Johnny Football.

cowboyec

Reaction score
for what its worth...Brugler's Mock2.0 now has us taking Alabama DT DaRon Payne at 19.
Boy that would be a tremendous pick.
He previously had us taking Michigan DT Maurice Hurst.

James,Smith,Edmunds,Ridley,Davenport,Vea and Wynn were off the board....Payne was just sitting there....waiting.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I dont fall for thw narrative that the Cowboys dont value the DT position.

We were reportedly very high on Donald and were going to draft him if the Rams hadnt.

The board just hasnt fallen correctly for us to take a DT in the 1st since we go BPA
I think most reasonable people would have been "very high" on Aaron Donald, so sorry, good ol' Rod does not get cred for that observation.

The narrative about the DT position is real. At least in terms of if it is not a 3-T.

You only have to go look back at Marinelli's track record as a head coach in Detroit, as a DC in Chicago and his stay in Dallas.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Right now my man crush is Derwin James. I think he gives you the SS who can come up in the box and also freakishly athletic he can cover over the top or come down in press. What Derwin James allows this team to do would be game changing IMO.

1: Allows you to move Byron Jones to his natural position CB.
2: Allows you to move Xavier Woods to his natural spot FS.
3: You now have Jones, Awuzie, and Lewis at CB

This move allows you to do alot with your coverage, especially with Jones and Lewis interchanging from inside to outside depending on WR/RB or if it's a TE. Also it gives you an intimidating piece in the secondary like Kam Chancellor brought to Seattle.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think most reasonable people would have been "very high" on Aaron Donald, so sorry, good ol' Rod does not get cred for that observation.

The narrative about the DT position is real. At least in terms of if it is not a 3-T.

You only have to go look back at Marinelli's track record as a head coach in Detroit, as a DC in Chicago and his stay in Dallas.
Other teams werent high on Donald, he wasnt even a unanimous 1st rounder. So yes he gets credit for that.

What dows his track record in Detriot have to do with valuing the 1T position?

Other teams werent high on him obviously, and he wasnt even considered a unanimous 1st rounder, so yeah Rod gets credit.

Also dont use Rod's tenure in Detriot to disprove him valuing the 1T position. He highly valued it, and got amazing production out of Shaun Rodgers. He actually accounted for the most sacks on the team out of the 1T position which is incredible.

So yeah, that didnt really make sense.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only guy I'm really on the fence on is Davenport, as I don't really know what to think of him.

I've been harsh on him, and I'm warming up to him...I just don't know if we want a project in the top 20. He seems to have some great length and quality traits to be successful in the NFL but I don't think he really knows what he's doing. He rushes like a 3-4 LBr from a 2 point stance but will have to be an end and it's a bull rush 90% of the time. He's basically Taco with a little more athelticism and less technique against small schools.
Im fan because I see a very high motor player in him. That will get him on the field as a rookie, so I don't think you would be getting a redshirt. I see a bit pf Dannielle Hunter in him.

What I love about him is that he has the build athletism to be a DE that can attack each DE gap on both sides of the line. His is very playable with Taco and Lawrence and would give us a potentially monstrous 3 DE rotation going forward. With how we rotate DL, Lawrence, Taco, amd Davenport could all easily get 750+ snaps and not get worn down.

Right now I have Davenport after James and Smith as far as targets go

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm only taking a G in a trade down.
I tend to agree somewhat,however..Brown is a tackle and may be a perfect fit for us. You already know how I feel about Hernandez...but at the same time we need a stud defender day 1..or a stud wideout. I really LOVE Sutton at 19.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Im fan because I see a very high motor player in him. That will get him on the field as a rookie, so I don't think you would be getting a redshirt. I see a bit pf Dannielle Hunter in him.

What I love about him is that he has the build athletism to be a DE that can attack each DE gap on both sides of the line. His is very playable with Taco and Lawrence and would give us a potentially monstrous 3 DE rotation going forward. With how we rotate DL, Lawrence, Taco, amd Davenport could all easily get 750+ snaps and not get worn down.

Right now I have Davenport after James and Smith as far as targets go

Unfortunately you need more than a motor to win in the NFL. He could be great, but has a long way to go.

If we're looking at a DE at 19 I'm not sure why we wouldn't just take more of an NFL ready player in Landry. He provides pass rush juice in year 1 and if he can develop and get stronger could turn into a quality RDE.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Unfortunately you need more than a motor to win in the NFL. He could be great, but has a long way to go.

If we're looking at a DE at 19 I'm not sure why we wouldn't just take more of an NFL ready player in Landry. He provides pass rush juice in year 1 and if he can develop and get stronger could turn into a quality RDE.
Because Davenport has significantly more upside than Landry. The only DE in this draft that has the tool kit Davenport has is Chubb. Landry may rush the passer better as a rookie, but by there second year they will likely be on even footing. By the third year Davenport will start to distance himself. When are looking at draft prospects, I try to look past what I am going to get immediately and focus more on the value they will have over the duration of their career.