Final Big Board

cnuball21

Reaction score
Because Davenport has significantly more upside than Landry. The only DE in this draft that has the tool kit Davenport has is Chubb. Landry may rush the passer better as a rookie, but by there second year they will likely be on even footing. By the third year Davenport will start to distance himself. When are looking at draft prospects, I try to look past what I am going to get immediately and focus more on the value they will have over the duration of their career.

I get that he has potential but in the top 20 you're looking for a little less of a project coming out of a small school.

I also think it's a stretch to say he has more upside than Landry. He's bigger and longer, that's about it.

Landry has a great first step and natural bend around the edge you can't teach. We've also actually seen him play with his hand in the dirt and win in more ways than just a bull rush like Davenport has.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I get that he has potential but in the top 20 you're looking for a little less of a project coming out of a small school.

I also think it's a stretch to say he has more upside than Landry. He's bigger and longer, that's about it.

Landry has a great first step and natural bend around the edge you can't teach. We've also actually seen him play with his hand in the dirt and win in more ways than just a bull rush like Davenport has.
I dont think he is that much of a project. I think by his second year his technque will be good enough to where he win the edge in wider gaps and by his 3rd year he should be able to attack from any DE gap. That ability is very rare.

I like Landry as a prospect, but honestly he is a pure wide gap rusher to me. I don't think its such a great fit with Lawrence on the opposite side who is best in 8 and 9 gaps. I think Taco is a better fit as a counterpart for Lawrence than Landry. I would tier Taco and Landry in the same tier of prospects( similar tier, but different players)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Mind you I wouldnt dislike drafting Landry either. I think he adds an element we are lacking in. That being a wide gap weak side rusher. I do think that with Lawrence being a wide gap strong side rusher, Charlton would likely get more snaps on the weakside than Landry.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I dont think he is that much of a project. I think by his second year his technque will be good enough to where he win the edge in wider gaps and by his 3rd year he should be able to attack from any DE gap. That ability is very rare.

I like Landry as a prospect, but honestly he is a pure wide gap rusher to me. I don't think its such a great fit with Lawrence on the opposite side who is best in 8 and 9 gaps. I think Taco is a better fit as a counterpart for Lawrence than Landry. I would tier Taco and Landry in the same tier of prospects( similar tier, but different players)

The type of progression your referencing sounds more like a 3rd rounder than a top 20 pick.

Agree to disagree.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The type of progression your referencing sounds more like a 3rd rounder than a top 20 pick.

Agree to disagree.
Maybe I misstated. I think Davenport is an 7 to 10 sack player by his second year. A 10 to 14 sack player by his 3rd. I don't think his learning curve will be as steep as some project.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Agree to disagree.
With due respect I feel " agreeing to disagree" is something that should when a discussion will turn sour. I respect your opinion as an informed poster and Im enjoying the discourse.

To me a player that can be projected to rush the passer from the 6,7,8,9 gap at any point in his career doesnt go day two. That ability is too rare. Very few players possess both the burst and power to achieve that. Players like that go well into the top 10 from Power 5 conference.

For me, Im patient with draft picks. Im not expecting an immediate 7 sacks. And I think he playes with enough energy to be used as a rotational player in his rookie season. He should be able to log a good 400 snaps in our DL.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With due respect I feel " agreeing to disagree" is something that should when a discussion will turn sour. I respect your opinion as an informed poster and Im enjoying the discourse.

To me a player that can be projected to rush the passer from the 6,7,8,9 gap at any point in his career doesnt go day two. That ability is too rare. Very few players possess both the burst and power to achieve that. Players like that go well into the top 10 from Power 5 conference.

For me, Im patient with draft picks. Im not expecting an immediate 7 sacks. And I think he playes with enough energy to be used as a rotational player in his rookie season. He should be able to log a good 400 snaps in our DL.

Absolutely, and I agree on being patient with prospects. Most fans on here are ridiculous already calling Taco a bust. Taco did was expected, he got some more snaps as the season went on and stared to generate some pressures. I think he'll be good.

I think we both value the position it's just a difference of opinion on the player and where to take him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Absolutely, and I agree on being patient with prospects. Most fans on here are ridiculous already calling Taco a bust. Taco did was expected, he got some more snaps as the season went on and stared to generate some pressures. I think he'll be good.

I think we both value the position it's just a difference of opinion on the player and where to take him.
I dont know if I see the position as a must add. I think we have very good talent there. But at the same I don't think you pass on an opportunity to add one at great value just because you have Lawarence and you drafted Taco. There is room for 3 starting quality ends on any team

cnuball21

Reaction score
I dont know if I see the position as a must add. I think we have very good talent there. But at the same I don't think you pass on an opportunity to add one at great value just because you have Lawarence and you drafted Taco. There is room for 3 starting quality ends on any team

Absolutely - couldn't agree more.

cowboyec

Reaction score
especially if Irving is on his way out...this season or next.
that is a BIG puzzle piece to replace....Davenport fits nicely.
But we may not get a chance...Brugler has him going to GB at 15.