Final OL Thoughts

cnuball21

Reaction score
After going back and forth a million times I think I've finally landed firm on the OL heading into the draft. I originally wanted no part of moving Tyler outside, bc I think his skill set is best suited for G, but that being said this is the position our owners have put us in. IMO I think we need to head in to the draft and simply draft the best player and then figure it out. Looking at OL only I think trading down likely makes the most sense unless a stud falls.

Cool:

- Fautanu or Mims there at 24 to play OT? Cool.
- Trade down and draft Morgan and figure out what the best combo is with him and Smith on the left side? Cool.
- Trade down and take a C if he's the best player and kick Tyler outside? Cool.

Not Cool:
- Drafting 2 OLmen in the 1st 3 rounds? Horrible roster management and we can't afford to do this with the gaping holes on defense. Give a youngster a chance. NOT COOL.
- Drafting someone more raw like Guyton at 24 and asking him to flip sides to LT? (I like him more than most - and probably ok in trade down). NOT COOL.
- Reaching on an OT like Kingsley just to draft an OT? NOT COOL.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't really like any of the second tier tackles. Guyton would be a bummer, and Kingsley would be a major bummer.

Morgan would be a great grab at guard or even center. He is incredible at hitting blocks on the move. I see him as a not-so-poor man's Barton.

The interior OLmen in this class look rock solid to me. JPJ, Barton, Frazier, Morgan if you want to count him there... those guys can all play. There's very low risk with all four, and I'd be happy with any of them.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Morgan might be a G…but good enough to give him a shot.

Would just need someone to step up at C.
He is also the kind of player they wanted to draft last year in Bergeron.

Personally, I'd prefer you draft a tackle to play tackle, guard to play guard, but they love their position flex.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't really like any of the second tier tackles. Guyton would be a bummer, and Kingsley would be a major bummer.

Morgan would be a great grab at guard or even center. He is incredible at hitting blocks on the move. I see him as a not-so-poor man's Barton.

The interior OLmen in this class look rock solid to me. JPJ, Barton, Frazier, Morgan if you want to count him there... those guys can all play. There's very low risk with all four, and I'd be happy with any of them.
I’m probably higher on Guyton than you but I understand the concern.

I’m leaning towards focusing on C. See what Asim has in his development and if he ain’t ready kick Tyler out and let’s ride.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Mims is a risk.big guys like that who have injury history are trouble but if we hit on him then we dont have to worry about our left side of the OL or a long time.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Mims is a risk.big guys like that who have injury history are trouble but if we hit on him then we dont have to worry about our left side of the OL or a long time.
Yea I’m only interested if the medicals are clear.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He is also the kind of player they wanted to draft last year in Bergeron.

Personally, I'd prefer you draft a tackle to play tackle, guard to play guard, but they love their position flex.
Yea you might be right. Just give me the best player and we’ll figure it out.

morasp

Reaction score
My thoughts are much more simple, whichever one they take gets the benefit of the doubt from me until they miss on one.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they take JPJ to strengthen the middle of the OL and spend the next two picks on defense.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't think they can trade back and still get JPJ. Hope I'm wrong
I think Barton is C1 so decent chance IMO…

Frazier would another option but likely a better player will be available.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
After going back and forth a million times I think I've finally landed firm on the OL heading into the draft. I originally wanted no part of moving Tyler outside, bc I think his skill set is best suited for G, but that being said this is the position our owners have put us in. IMO I think we need to head in to the draft and simply draft the best player and then figure it out. Looking at OL only I think trading down likely makes the most sense unless a stud falls.

Cool:

- Trade down and draft Morgan and figure out what the best combo is with him and Smith on the left side? Cool.

Not Cool:
- Drafting 2 OLmen in the 1st 3 rounds? Horrible roster management and we can't afford to do this with the gaping holes on defense. Give a youngster a chance. NOT COOL.
- Drafting someone more raw like Guyton at 24 and asking him to flip sides to LT? (I like him more than most - and probably ok in trade down). NOT COOL.
-I’m fine with all three centers. Broaddus actually hearing JPJ’s medicals are actually better than originally thought. All 3 are impact day 1 starters!

-Do not like any of the 2nd tier tackles, Morgan seems like a better fit for a 49er type of scheme. If I had to gamble on one, Kingsley would be the guy, 20 years old with left tackle experience. The likes of Mims, Guyton, Kingsley will have major growing pains, worried about Morgan’s lack of strength if you moves inside.

-agree, with just 3 premium picks, taking 2 offensive lineman isn’t good roster building.

-perfect world, they are able to trade back and still add an impact OL starter unless a player at another position falls into their laps

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

Cool:

Not Cool:
Guyton is raw, which you stated you don't really like, yet you're onboard with the guy that only has 8 career starts playing at RT while missing 6 games last year due to injury? It's those traits, isn't it? Please, let's not represent Mims as being a polished piece. We're just digging that high ceiling - nothing wrong with that. I'd pick him over Guyton as well but I think either one gets #4 face-planted a few times in year one. So rookie OT, please, come on down!

cnuball21

Reaction score
-I’m fine with all three centers. Broaddus actually hearing JPJ’s medicals are actually better than originally thought. All 3 are impact day 1 starters!

-Do not like any of the 2nd tier tackles, Morgan seems like a better fit for a 49er type of scheme. If I had to gamble on one, Kingsley would be the guy, 20 years old with left tackle experience. The likes of Mims, Guyton, Kingsley will have major growing pains, worried about Morgan’s lack of strength if you moves inside.

-agree, with just 3 premium picks, taking 2 offensive lineman isn’t good roster building.

-perfect world, they are able to trade back and still add an impact OL starter unless a player at another position falls into their laps
Looks like Frazier is 41 on the consensus big board. Slight reach in a trade down but in the state we’re in do what you have to do. Especially if the the others may not be scheme fit to your point.

I just have a hard time getting on board with Kingsley in the 1st. He has LT exp - but he’s got a ways to go technique wise and is terrible as a run defender.

Sydla

Reaction score
Barton isn't sexy by any means but I could live with him. He can either play OG or C, most likely which gives you some flexibility in this draft. You can add an OG or C later as well if one presents itself to you. Then you can kick Tyler outside.

It's not ideal but if we went into the season with Tyler at LT, Bass (or pick) at OG and Barton at C? It's at least workable.