Final OL Thoughts

1942willys

Reaction score
You can't fill every hole with superstars. There have been lots of UDFA OL who have succeeded. Using one of our top two picks on an OL increases the competition for those spots and allows us to address other needs with Day 1 and Day 2 picks.

I'm not a fan of just handing the center job to Hoffman, who we cut in camp and no one picked up, which is why center is higher on my list, but I feel pretty good about Richards and Bass competing with Tyler for two starting spots. If Hoffman does step it up, then we can add the center/guard candidate we drafted in the first join that competition.
false premise. You bleat about superstars; I think expecting practice squad players to develop into good starters is foolish. When it happens it is one out of 100.

1942willys

Reaction score
I frankly am a bigger fan of the centers we are more likely to get into position to draft than the tackles that will be there for the first rd. I would not be adverse to trading back into the second rd to get more picks if one of the top 3 centers is likely to be available. We are almost certainly NOT going to have a shot at one of the top 3 tackles

Aven8

Reaction score
All the OT’s that have played on the right side scare me. Mim’s at 360 plus scares me as well.

cnuball21

Reaction score
WHY? Bluntly speaking what we need on the DL can be addressed later in the draft.
and LB can be had as well.
If your lines fail the team fails
If the DL can be addressed later so can one of the OL spots.

Get 1 OLmen early then shift to other needs…preferably defense which is the biggest weakness on the team.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score

Yep, which is why guys like Morgan, Fisher, and Suamataia will go much higher than the web scouts have them ranked. We know this. It's the same story every year with the OT and QB groups. They're always graded higher by guys who actually work for football teams.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There are a lot of rumblings that all the tackles are getting pushed up, that includes Kingsley, Morgan and even Paul as possible 1st rd picks. Washington is reportedly trying to get back into the back half of rd 1 to land Morgan. They have a ton of picks: 2 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounders. I don't care if you are helping out a divisional opponent, they would be doing the same.

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
After going back and forth a million times I think I've finally landed firm on the OL heading into the draft. I originally wanted no part of moving Tyler outside, bc I think his skill set is best suited for G, but that being said this is the position our owners have put us in. IMO I think we need to head in to the draft and simply draft the best player and then figure it out. Looking at OL only I think trading down likely makes the most sense unless a stud falls.

Cool:

- Fautanu or Mims there at 24 to play OT? Cool.
- Trade down and draft Morgan and figure out what the best combo is with him and Smith on the left side? Cool.
- Trade down and take a C if he's the best player and kick Tyler outside? Cool.

Not Cool:
- Drafting 2 OLmen in the 1st 3 rounds? Horrible roster management and we can't afford to do this with the gaping holes on defense. Give a youngster a chance. NOT COOL.
- Drafting someone more raw like Guyton at 24 and asking him to flip sides to LT? (I like him more than most - and probably ok in trade down). NOT COOL.
- Reaching on an OT like Kingsley just to draft an OT? NOT COOL.
If the value is there I’m fine drafting two offensive lineman in first three rounds.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If the value is there I’m fine drafting two offensive lineman in first three rounds.
It was have to be a CeeDee like blinking light for me to consider.

Poor roster management and team building IMO. Can’t continue to ignore adding talent to the defense and then wonder why playoff caliber teams beat up on us like a drum.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
false premise. You bleat about superstars; I think expecting practice squad players to develop into good starters is foolish. When it happens it is one out of 100.
I'm not a big fan of expecting it, but what I'm expecting is a fifth-round tackle who played well whenever he got the chance to do well when given more chances. I also like what I saw from Bass. I think taking one offensive lineman (preferably a center) in the first three rounds provides us with the opportunity to have decent competitions for those spots. Maybe it doesn't work out and we have to address LG or LT next year, but we've got lots of spots to fill and not enough picks to address them all without relying on some progress from our young players.

I also don't insult those with whom I disagree, but you be you.

MikeT22

Reaction score
- Reaching on an OT like Kingsley just to draft an OT? NOT COOL.
I’ve seen some mocks and talk of Suamataia moving up as a late first rounder.

But also saw where Daniel Jeremiah has him at #121 (4th round) on his top 150 list.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Big difference between them and Bass and Hoffman is there not?
I don't know with Bass. He was undrafted but performed well when given the opportunity. Some players just slip through the cracks. Maybe he's the next Steele.

But if we only had Bass, I'd be more inclined to spend two of our top three picks on OL. However, we also have Richards who played well. I think we can take a shot at finding our LG/LT combo with Tyler, Richards and Bass this year and if it doesn't work out, then address OL early again next year. I also think adding a player like JPJ/Barton/Frazier would increase our options since they also can play guard. I don't like having only Hoffman as our center option, but that doesn't mean that he can't progress and be up to the task, allowing the rookie to play LG if that's where he's needed more.

We eventually have to trust players we drafted like Richards to contribute, not without some degree of fallback but we can't spend premium picks on every position.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Same here. I usually try to avoid knee jerk reactions if a player isn't like Parsons or Lamb immediately.
It definitely takes a while to get there for some, especially at some positions. For example, I saw no need to call Tolbert a bust after his rookie season. He was coming from a small school so and needed an adjustment period (some do, some don't). This year, it looks like he'll get the opportunity to seize the No. 3 job. Hope he progresses to where he's up to that challenge.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’ve seen some mocks and talk of Suamataia moving up as a late first rounder.

But also saw where Daniel Jeremiah has him at #121 (4th round) on his top 150 list.
Yea, that’d be a massive reach IMO. Dudes a 2nd rounder for most.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Listening to Cowterd...Daniel Jeremiah claiming the last 5 calls he's had have all said the same. Everyone is looking to trade up for an OT

cnuball21

Reaction score
Listening to Cowterd...Daniel Jeremiah claiming the last 5 calls he's had have all said the same. Everyone is looking to trade up for an OT
Aka a stud at another position is falling…no problem.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think I am all in on Barton and hope he's there.