Final OL Thoughts

cnuball21

Reaction score
Barton isn't sexy by any means but I could live with him. He can either play OG or C, most likely which gives you some flexibility in this draft. You can add an OG or C later as well if one presents itself to you. Then you can kick Tyler outside.

It's not ideal but if we went into the season with Tyler at LT, Bass (or pick) at OG and Barton at C? It's at least workable.
100% agree…I love Barton bc of that flex. I have him as OC1 bc he’s an elite athlete but if they like him at G more that’s fine too.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Looks like Frazier is 41 on the consensus big board. Slight reach in a trade down but in the state we’re in do what you have to do. Especially if the the others may not be scheme fit to your point.

I just have a hard time getting on board with Kingsley in the 1st. He has LT exp - but he’s got a ways to go technique wise and is terrible as a run defender.
Remember it’s how the actual scouts view this players. Frazier could be higher than we think. I understand the reservation about drafting Kingsley, he is definitely a developmental player but so are Mims and Guyton. Think they all struggle as rookies if they are expected to start right away.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Remember it’s how the actual scouts view this players. Frazier could be higher than we think. I understand the reservation about drafting Kingsley, he is definitely a developmental player but so are Mims and Guyton. Think they all struggle as rookies if they are expected to start right away.
Agree on Guyton to an extent but he’s ranked higher than Kingsley by a good margin by just about every relevant source out there.

Watched Mims against top competition and Im good. He straight up whooped the dude from OSU who will be a 1st round lock next year. No concerns there.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I would take Morgan before Guyton and Kingsley. But JPJ or Barton are still the 2 guys at the top of my list.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree on Guyton to an extent but he’s ranked higher than Kingsley by a good margin by just about every relevant source out there.

Watched Mims against top competition and Im good. He straight up whooped the dude from OSU who will be a 1st round lock next year. No concerns there.
Talent isn’t the question it’s his inability to stay healthy, 8 games started in a career is really poor, worse then Payton Wilson, we just went through years with Tyron in and out of the lineup. On top of this he never played left tackle and he needs a ton of work as a run blocker

1942willys

Reaction score
IF the boys are determined to kick Tyler outside, then take Barton and then Frazier and then your O line is complete. Barton at guard and Frazier at Center

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My thoughts are much more simple, whichever one they take gets the benefit of the doubt from me until they miss on one.
Right. I don't know who is best. I have my opinions, but it isn't exactly like anyone is paying me for them, so I won't pretend that I know more than the scouts. They hit sometimes on players who the draft experts have lower ranked and they miss sometimes on players who the draft experts have lower ranked. I reserve the right to criticize the team when the draft experts are correct.

gimmesix

Reaction score
IF the boys are determined to kick Tyler outside, then take Barton and then Frazier and then your O line is complete. Barton at guard and Frazier at Center
You are talking about spending our first and second on OL. I'm not a fan of that. I'd rather get a center who can also play guard and let Tyler, Richards, Bass, the rookie and Hoffman fight it out for three starting spots. Maybe add another lineman late, but not on the first two days.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Barton isn't sexy by any means but I could live with him. He can either play OG or C, most likely which gives you some flexibility in this draft. You can add an OG or C later as well if one presents itself to you. Then you can kick Tyler outside.

It's not ideal but if we went into the season with Tyler at LT, Bass (or pick) at OG and Barton at C? It's at least workable.
I think Barton, JPJ or Frazier give us some flexibility to figure out the best combo on the left side. I'm not counting Richards out at LT if we don't draft an LT. I'd love to see an inside combo of Tyler-JPJ-Martin, especially with a power back behind them.

1942willys

Reaction score
You are talking about spending our first and second on OL. I'm not a fan of that. I'd rather get a center who can also play guard and let Tyler, Richards, Bass, the rookie and Hoffman fight it out for three starting spots. Maybe add another lineman late, but not on the first two days.
I prefer to try people we did not pick from dumpsters and the street. People who were only on practice squads and sometimes even cut from them,

1942willys

Reaction score
We have two hole on the O line; spending two picks to plug them is logical.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I prefer to try people we did not pick from dumpsters and the street. People who were only on practice squads and sometimes even cut from them,
You can't fill every hole with superstars. There have been lots of UDFA OL who have succeeded. Using one of our top two picks on an OL increases the competition for those spots and allows us to address other needs with Day 1 and Day 2 picks.

I'm not a fan of just handing the center job to Hoffman, who we cut in camp and no one picked up, which is why center is higher on my list, but I feel pretty good about Richards and Bass competing with Tyler for two starting spots. If Hoffman does step it up, then we can add the center/guard candidate we drafted in the first join that competition.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We have two hole on the O line; spending two picks to plug them is logical.
It's also logical that players who showed promise as rookies can develop into starters, which could be the case with Richards and Bass. Last year, we addressed tight end in the second round instead of trusting some in the promise showed by Ferguson and waiting until later to add another tight end to the mix. That proved to be illogical.

Ferguson was a fourth-round rookie who gave a glimpse of ability to play in this league. Richards was a fifth-round rookie who did the same when given the chance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
After going back and forth a million times I think I've finally landed firm on the OL heading into the draft. I originally wanted no part of moving Tyler outside, bc I think his skill set is best suited for G, but that being said this is the position our owners have put us in. IMO I think we need to head in to the draft and simply draft the best player and then figure it out. Looking at OL only I think trading down likely makes the most sense unless a stud falls.

Cool:

- Fautanu or Mims there at 24 to play OT? Cool.
- Trade down and draft Morgan and figure out what the best combo is with him and Smith on the left side? Cool.
- Trade down and take a C if he's the best player and kick Tyler outside? Cool.

Not Cool:
- Drafting 2 OLmen in the 1st 3 rounds? Horrible roster management and we can't afford to do this with the gaping holes on defense. Give a youngster a chance. NOT COOL.
- Drafting someone more raw like Guyton at 24 and asking him to flip sides to LT? (I like him more than most - and probably ok in trade down). NOT COOL.
- Reaching on an OT like Kingsley just to draft an OT? NOT COOL.
I don't believe Barton and/or JPJ would be there in a trade down. GB, TB and Detroit could all use a OC/Guard.

Gambit

Reaction score
Reaching on an OT like Kingsley just to draft an OT? NOT COOL.
What about in a trade down with say..Chiefs pick up a 3rd and 4th? Do you like him better then?

If we trade back and land JPJ / Barton and get 2 good defenders over the next 3 picks I’d be pumped.
Barton likely gone by 24. Possible JPJ is too.

There are like 3-4 guys at 24 I'd take, realistically being there and realistically being gone.

We have a better shot at C in later rounds than T. Tackle is very too heavy and very RT heavy in this draft.

This all points to us looking to trade back pick up more picks in 3-4 rounds being the best move.

morasp

Reaction score
Right. I don't know who is best. I have my opinions, but it isn't exactly like anyone is paying me for them, so I won't pretend that I know more than the scouts. They hit sometimes on players who the draft experts have lower ranked and they miss sometimes on players who the draft experts have lower ranked. I reserve the right to criticize the team when the draft experts are correct.
Same here. I usually try to avoid knee jerk reactions if a player isn't like Parsons or Lamb immediately.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am not ruling out Guyton.he has issues and i think our coaches will fix them,if he didnt have issues he would be a top 15 pick with that kind of measurables..Remember we all thought Tyler smith was raw and had similar problems but he was a starter from day 1.

cnuball21

Reaction score
What about in a trade down with say..Chiefs pick up a 3rd and 4th? Do you like him better then?

Barton likely gone by 24. Possible JPJ is too.

There are like 3-4 guys at 24 I'd take, realistically being there and realistically being gone.

We have a better shot at C in later rounds than T. Tackle is very too heavy and very RT heavy in this draft.

This all points to us looking to trade back pick up more picks in 3-4 rounds being the best move.
No, Kingsley is not a 1st rounder at all IMO…

If JPJ / Barton are gone than take someone else. Someone will fall.

1942willys

Reaction score
It's also logical that players who showed promise as rookies can develop into starters, which could be the case with Richards and Bass. Last year, we addressed tight end in the second round instead of trusting some in the promise showed by Ferguson and waiting until later to add another tight end to the mix. That proved to be illogical.

Ferguson was a fourth-round rookie who gave a glimpse of ability to play in this league. Richards was a fifth-round rookie who did the same when given the chance.
Big difference between them and Bass and Hoffman is there not?