Final OL Thoughts

1942willys

Reaction score
If the DL can be addressed later so can one of the OL spots.

Get 1 OLmen early then shift to other needs…preferably defense which is the biggest weakness on the team.
Show me our hit rate on later rd OL.

1942willys

Reaction score
I don't know with Bass. He was undrafted but performed well when given the opportunity. Some players just slip through the cracks. Maybe he's the next Steele.

But if we only had Bass, I'd be more inclined to spend two of our top three picks on OL. However, we also have Richards who played well. I think we can take a shot at finding our LG/LT combo with Tyler, Richards and Bass this year and if it doesn't work out, then address OL early again next year. I also think adding a player like JPJ/Barton/Frazier would increase our options since they also can play guard. I don't like having only Hoffman as our center option, but that doesn't mean that he can't progress and be up to the task, allowing the rookie to play LG if that's where he's needed more.

We eventually have to trust players we drafted like Richards to contribute, not without some degree of fallback but we can't spend premium picks on every position.
I think relying on Hoffman to start this year is exactly like relying on Phil Costa. I am frankly not sure we will have a real shot at any OT worth a first rd pick.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think relying on Hoffman to start this year is exactly like relying on Phil Costa. I am frankly not sure we will have a real shot at any OT worth a first rd pick.
If we take a first-round center, like I hope we do, we're not relying on Hoffman to start. We will be relying on figuring out three starters from among Tyler, Richards, Bass, rookie and Hoffman. I think that could be doable. I do think we have to take a center at some point no matter what because we can't just be placing all of our hope in Hoffman. If we did go with an OT in the first, then I'd be on board with drafting a center sometime in the next couple of rounds. With the second-round pick, it would only be if Frazier made it to us.

I hope we address center in the first (depending on who is there), so that we can also address our DL and RB needs in the first three rounds. The needs there to me are as bad as relying on just Hoffman at center.

morasp

Reaction score
It definitely takes a while to get there for some, especially at some positions. For example, I saw no need to call Tolbert a bust after his rookie season. He was coming from a small school so and needed an adjustment period (some do, some don't). This year, it looks like he'll get the opportunity to seize the No. 3 job. Hope he progresses to where he's up to that challenge.
good example