Final PFF Grades & Rankings A Season To Forget

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Zeke only had 1 fumble in the last 9 games. Looks like he's got that under control.

That lifts Zeke above bad. But the numbers are incredibly mediocre. 4.0 YPC. Ok, let's blame the oline, though Pollard was higher. Ok, but Zeke has to take the short yardage carries.

Big disappointment to me was looking at YPT for both Pollard and Zeke. 4.8. That's just pitiful. Blame the QBs? Get the ball in relatively open space, and both make nothing of it.

And if the poor quality of others on the offense is an excuse for poor numbers, shouldn't the high quality at WR justify an expectation of good numbers?

The oline matters. I expect a bounceback year for the running game next year with Martin, Colline, and Smith back. Williams, McGovern, and Biadasz should all continue upward trends. But I don't expect Zeke to look like a top bach ever again.
If you watch zeke he just looks like a different player. No explosiveness and has trouble breaking that first tackle or making the first guy miss all of a sudden

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
@aria @QuincyCarterEra
Let me put this byron crap to bed tho. Byron is not good not worth anything over $10m.
Byron's PFF coverage grade was 61.0 compared to Trevon's coverage grade of 63.9. Now the analytics.

Byron
89 targets
56 receptions 62.9% catch rate
4 pbu 1 int (tipped ball better play by d lineman)
4 tds 15.7 yards per reception 9.9 yards per target
105.9 Passer rating allowed
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
48 Receptions 59.3% Catch Rate
12 Pbu's 2 ints
6 tds 15.1 yards per reception 9.0 yards per target
103.3 passer rating allowed
Rookie Season

Byron will only get worse Diggs can get better.
Jerry is dumb but made the right move here.
Talk to 'em....when I say it he act slow so maybe it'll help if someone else say it....

What do you mean “mind you they didn’t chose those guys over Byron”?!

Here’s your exact quote to my response that they did choose Jaylon and zeke over Byron.
“Yes. They chose Jaylon and Zeke over Byron. 100% they did.”

Are you off your meds again?

I may have complained about Byron but I would take an underperforming overpaid CB over an underperforming RB who sat out with two years left on his contract until he was the highest ever paid for his position, which he was. We could have used an underperforming Byron much more than an underperforming ewok. I’d even take an underperforming overpaid Jones over an underperforming overpaid Jaylon.
I'm saying they didn't just chose those guys there were other guys....the Cowboys signed far more guys than Jaylon and Zeke. I know in your world those guys stopped them from signing 'Byron...but in reality that didn't happen.

Zeke had a pff grade of a 65.3....Byron had a pff grade of a 63...imagine, not wanting the underachieving Zeke but actually saying we needed a underachieving Byron. Its just a silly *** argument lol.

Or you could have had both. You need three corners. Diggs is in the same ballpark as Byron Jones, which is good because I think Diggs had a good season. But the defense would have been better if we had both. People are making two different arguments here. I'm arguing the salary cap does matter because it cost us Byron Jones who is arguably better than every corner on our team. Whether he played better than Diggs or not doesn't really matter because he played better than Awuzie, Brown, and Lewis. Certainly better than Worley lol. So with that framing I am comparing Byron Jones to the worst corners on the team, not the best. If the salary cap doesn't really mean anything, then you could pay whatever you want even if it is only a marginal upgrade. Once it is acknowledged that the salary cap is important and tradeoffs have to be made, then there can be a discussion if Byron Jones was worth what he got paid.

I do not want a corner with a PFF rating of 63 at 82 million man I Don't know how many other ways I can say it. THat's just not a very good way of managing your cap space.

And hell use the argument for Chido.

Would you rather have Chido with a 51 PFF rating on a minimum rookie deal or would you rather have Byron Jones at 82 million? Its really not as difficult as you are making it.

As of right now Jerry was right on Byron. IT is what it is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If cap were no object, Jerry could have signed Dak for 40mil/year and been done with it.

The NFL is a competition to maximize championships subject to the constraints of the draft and the cap. That's the game.

People who think the cap doesn't matter are living in an infant's resentment fueled fantasyl and where it's only because Mean Old Jerry doesn't *want* them to have every All Pro in the league that they can't have them. Me wanna All Pros! Wah!
The cap don't matter stop letting Stephen brainwash you......Cowboys could've signed Dak to 40 million if they wanted too. The salary cap isn't as black and white as you are making it seem.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you watch zeke he just looks like a different player. No explosiveness and has trouble breaking that first tackle or making the first guy miss all of a sudden
I think that's accurate but it's also a pure fact that this year after his week off he came back and made 16 tacklers miss which was a season long high for any RB in any game.

If he's kept fresher I think he can be quite good next year behind an OL that should rise wayyyyy up from this year's 27th ranking.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think that's accurate but it's also a pure fact that this year after his week off he came back and made 16 tacklers miss which was a season long high for any RB in any game.

If he's kept fresher I think he can be quite good next year behind an OL that should rise wayyyyy up from this year's 27th ranking.
I wonder if him getting covid affected his fatigue throughout the year.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I thought about that too...he deserves the benefit of the doubt in that regard.....
I can't give him the benefit of the doubt because he's looked like it 2 years in a row. But last year was cabo now this year rona. Idk he might just be washed already which I hope isn't the case

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can't give him the benefit of the doubt because he's looked like it 2 years in a row. But last year was cabo now this year rona. Idk he might just be washed already which I hope isn't the case
I say that on how he looked.

I don't recall him ever being this bad in the passing game or with these fumbles......him losing burst is one thing. Him not having the same speed is one thing. He didn't even hit his "feed me" celebrations like he use to. I'm not saying we are going to get a new and approved Zeke next year but I expect him at least to get back to being a threat in the passing game......

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I say that on how he looked.

I don't recall him ever being this bad in the passing game or with these fumbles......him losing burst is one thing. Him not having the same speed is one thing. He didn't even hit his "feed me" celebrations like he use to. I'm not saying we are going to get a new and approved Zeke next year but I expect him at least to get back to being a threat in the passing game......
Our screen game this year was absolute trash then we extend kellen /shrug

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It's the numbers, it's the eyeball test, it's everything.

But I don't think it's all of a sudden. This is the second or third year we've been talking about his lack of burst. A year or two ago, multiple plays where he'd take it inside instead of trying to beat people to the edge.

Just look at the trends in his ypc and ypt. YPT is particularly brutal. Down about 1 yard per season.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm

The slide has been ever since his rookie season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Under 300 touches this year. Only lower season was 2017, when he was suspended for 6 games. Zeke only has 28 more touches than in 2017.

With Zeke's lowest touches per game this season, he has his lowest ypc and ypt.

Yeah, if kept more fresh, he'd probably do better in both stats. So he's an aging RB with little burst and declining productivity who has to have his touches limited in hopes of bringing up those numbers. Not a value proposition.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Our screen game this year was absolute trash then we extend kellen /shrug

YPT for 4.8 for both Zeke and Pollard. They've got their own issues, I just don't believe they're both that bad.

Zeke is still plenty strong. Get him in space running downhill, and you should get a few yards in yards after contact. And Pollard has speed and great contact balance.

On this point, Moore and the QBs should take some of the hit for the poor productivity. I know Dak weirdly seems to throw a bad short ball to the backs. And I'm guessing that Moore just isn't giving them enough chances on the move and running downhill.

And how about sending Pollard deep? He's second only to Cooper on speed. Should be a mismatch waiting to happen. Where was it? Where did we even try to isolate him and hit him deep?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Talk to 'em....when I say it he act slow so maybe it'll help if someone else say it....

I'm saying they didn't just chose those guys there were other guys....the Cowboys signed far more guys than Jaylon and Zeke. I know in your world those guys stopped them from signing 'Byron...but in reality that didn't happen.

Zeke had a pff grade of a 65.3....Byron had a pff grade of a 63...imagine, not wanting the underachieving Zeke but actually saying we needed a underachieving Byron. Its just a silly *** argument lol.

I do not want a corner with a PFF rating of 63 at 82 million man I Don't know how many other ways I can say it. THat's just not a very good way of managing your cap space.

And hell use the argument for Chido.

Would you rather have Chido with a 51 PFF rating on a minimum rookie deal or would you rather have Byron Jones at 82 million? Its really not as difficult as you are making it.

As of right now Jerry was right on Byron. IT is what it is.

That's my whole point. People are saying you don't need to manage cap space and you can just sign whoever you want. I don't know how many ways I can say it lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's my whole point. People are saying you don't need to manage cap space and you can just sign whoever you want. I don't know how many ways I can say it lol.
You have to manage it yes. But you can manage it. You guys are making it seem like you can’t restructure contracts or release bad contracts....they can release Jaylon Smith and it cost only 2 million against their cap is they wanted to. My argument isn’t that there’s no cap. My argument is that there’s no salary cap hell Stephen keeps telling you about. There’s no reason to fear the salary cap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This defense needs a draft and free agency like no other...I'm not sure one draft can cut it for fixing things.
Naw....it can’t. But a good start was getting rid of Nolan. Go defensive heavy in this draft and first and foremost look for some defensive linemen. Especially the interior.