Finding That War Daddy DE Has Been Like Chasing Down Bigfoot

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Maybe that's the answer. Find Bigfoot and hire him to be our pass rusher. This is a pretty good article.

[excerpt]
Friday, April 14, 2017 6:14 PM CDT

FRISCO, Texas – For the Dallas Cowboys, going on their 58th NFL season and two weeks from their 57th NFL draft, gosh, they must feel like they’ve been searching for Bigfoot …

When it comes to drafting pass-rushing defensive ends.

Oh, they’ve had their needs over the years. And they’ve certainly taken their cuts, from the forgettable Ray Krause, Nate Borden and John Gonzaga, the first three defensive ends selected, they in the 1960 expansion draft, all the way to the 54th and last one taken, Charles Tapper, in the fourth round of the 2016 draft.

But their batting average of success rests comfortably below the Mendoza Line, the poor sap, Mario Mendoza, whose batting average in the Majors always hovered either right above or right below .200. He then became known as the line of demarcation between average at best and pathetic.

The Cowboys, in their existence, are basically hitting a humbling .167 when it comes to finding Pro Bowl defensive ends. In 54 attempts, starting in 1960, the Cowboys have come away with nine Pro Bowl defensive ends. Nine!

[continued]

Full article: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...ng-war-daddy-de-has-been-chasing-down-bigfoot

robjay04

Reaction score
Sad thing is...

I believe there were only six 4-3 defensive ends with double digit sacks last season if I remember correctly. It seems like it's easier to find a QB than find a double digit sack producing defensive end.

We just need to be realistic and have a rotation of several guys that can get you a half dozen.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What did you expect? The Cowboys were never going to get that guy through free agency before the draft. That guy is coming, either though the draft or post draft free agency. Patience folks.

It's not happening in draft.

Best we'll do is get another Demarcus lawrence type.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Perfect example is right here in Charlotte with the Carolina Panthers. Mario Addison, yeah, Mario Addison the 2011 UDFA from Troy. He signed with Chicago and bounced around from the Colts and Washington before the Panthers signed him in '12. Last season, while being a non-starter, he led the Panthers with 9.5 sacks! So, it can happen. I'm striving to be patient.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sad thing is...

I believe there were only six 4-3 defensive ends with double digit sacks last season if I remember correctly. It seems like it's easier to find a QB than find a double digit sack producing defensive end.

We just need to be realistic and have a rotation of several guys that can get you a half dozen.

That's exactly right. The Raiders' "War Daddy" was defensive player of the year and yet they were last in sacks.

The Falcons' "War Daddy" had 15 sacks, yet the Cowboy defense ended up with more.

Yet another one of those things I wish Jerry had never said.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
A dominant DE is more rare than finding a franchise QB. I think Garrett is going to become one but it will take several years. Clowney only had 6 late season. Watt had 5.5 in his rookie year.

No real help from the draft is coming this season on that front..

conner01

Reaction score
Dallas has found him in Irving IMO
If you can get help for the rest of the dline I think he can be a double digit sack guy
He faced lots of double and triple teams late last year. Get someone to make them pay when they do that and he could be a impact player every week

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I remember a similar sentiment about QB last year and yet we have our QB for the next decade in Dak. You never know what the FO is able to wrangle up in the draft. So don't be so sure of what will and will not happen.

Remember the same sentiment about LB.