Finding That War Daddy DE Has Been Like Chasing Down Bigfoot

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Perfect example is right here in Charlotte with the Carolina Panthers. Mario Addison, yeah, Mario Addison the 2011 UDFA from Troy. He signed with Chicago and bounced around from the Colts and Washington before the Panthers signed him in '12. Last season, while being a non-starter, he led the Panthers with 9.5 sacks! So, it can happen. I'm striving to be patient.

I agree, but what is his total game? Decent pressure otherwise? Does he stay home for running plays? Do teams scheme against him? But I agree with you, stay patient and let the off-season and upcoming season just unfold. Who saw Das coming? I know I didn't. I am on the record of thinking he would screw up due to drinking issues, etc. I'm 0-1 and happy to be just that.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
There are two paths obviously to do this:

Either
A) Draft someone
B) Sign a Free Agent

In both cases, the Cowboys try to strike gold with hail marys.

They don't want to invest anything here.

With A, you generally have to have a high draft pick, and in this case, we do not. In case B, you generally have to pay a cash premium, and in this case the Cowboys don't want to do that either. They like going after guys like Mayowa that don't cost much. Believe it or not, that was actually them splurging a bit.

So you continuously have to try and hit on a later draft pick with the method we have going. Yes, this makes things more difficult and unlikely.

We hired Marinelli in 2013.

Since then we have drafted the following DEs in the top 3 rounds:

DeMarcus Lawrence 2nd round 2nd pick
Randy Gregory 2nd round 28th pick

Two guys in four years...

That's neglect, especially when you consider the red flags on Gregory. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely wanted to draft him when we did. I just think more resources needed to be sent to the defensive line. We traded up to get Lawrence, and he is been an okay player, but to expect him to be your best pass rusher is asking for trouble.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It can but I wouldn't depend on it like it's just going to become the norm.
Lightning striking multiple times in the same place is actually quite common because all the conditions are just right for it to happen. That's the same reason I expect the Cowboys to manage miracles in the draft on a normal basis... the conditions are just right. :thumbup:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
There are tons of double digit sack guys in the league. When you just look for "DE's" you leave out a whole bunch of OLBs like Demarcus ware, Von Miller, perry, Clowney, ect....

40-50% of the current teams have a war daddy. We are just the have nots of the NFL

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'd love to have some war daddy types, I'd even settle for Vernon and JPP right now. But those guys hardly ever get to free agency.

Wait........oh my bad

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Jerry needs to hire the guys from Mountain Monsters. Everywhere they go all they have to do is walk in the woods for about 45 seconds and they jump a Bigfoot or whatever they are looking for. I bet they'd have no problem finding Jerry a War Daddy.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
There are tons of double digit sack guys in the league. When you just look for "DE's" you leave out a whole bunch of OLBs like Demarcus ware, Von Miller, perry, Clowney, ect....

40-50% of the current teams have a war daddy. We are just the have nots of the NFL

There are 32 teams in the NFL. In 2016 there were 15 players with 10 or more sacks. That would make 46.8 percent, which would make your statement factual. However, Arizona and Seattle both have two players listed in the double-digit categories. Minimizing the number of unique teams to only 40.6 percent. This puts things on the very edge of your thesis. To suggest that we are one of have nots ignores that we have premier players at other positions that are just as rare if not more so.

It also assumes that having double digit sacks makes you a "war daddy". The number of players with 12 or more sacks is only 5.

I would go further to state that sacks is probably not the best way to describe a player as a "war daddy".

aria

Reaction score
You know what term is more annoying than war daddy? JAG, can't stand it, so dumb. Having said that, I'd much rather have a war daddy than a JAG which is all we've had on the d line for awhile. Any pressure will help our secondary, I hope they draft a DE in the first.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Sad thing is...

I believe there were only six 4-3 defensive ends with double digit sacks last season if I remember correctly. It seems like it's easier to find a QB than find a double digit sack producing defensive end.

We just need to be realistic and have a rotation of several guys that can get you a half dozen.

Yeah. Time to just start stacking up bodies with pedigree on the DL.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score

<iframe width="591" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Q8xbh_SUlk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

robjay04

Reaction score
I'd love to have some war daddy types, I'd even settle for Vernon and JPP right now. But those guys hardly ever get to free agency.

Wait........oh my bad

JPP has been franchise tagged two out of the last three seasons. 2016, he turned down a better contract to return to the Giants, he chose to bet on himself since most teams were hesitant due to his hand issue. He hardly "hit the market".

Vernon is a solid player but that's just what he is...solid. He is a 8 sack a year guy that is stout against the run, comparable to an Anthony Spencer. Those two players combined are worth 92 million dollars guaranteed and neither one of them is better than a 8 sack guy at this point.

I would love an 8 sack guy as much as anyone but the Giants are dumb to hand out those contracts considering they have Odell and that safety coming up soon. I would rather pay 100K per sack to a 6 sack guy than 2 million per sack to a 8 sack guy.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
JPP has been franchise tagged two out of the last three seasons. 2016, he turned down a better contract to return to the Giants, he chose to bet on himself since most teams were hesitant due to his hand issue. He hardly "hit the market".

Vernon is a solid player but that's just what he is...solid. He is a 8 sack a year guy that is stout against the run, comparable to an Anthony Spencer. Those two players combined are worth 92 million dollars guaranteed and neither one of them is better than a 8 sack guy at this point.

I would love an 8 sack guy as much as anyone but the Giants are dumb to hand out those contracts considering they have Odell and that safety coming up soon. I would rather pay 100K per sack to a 6 sack guy than 2 million per sack to a 8 sack guy.
Vernon will get more this year imo. Last year was his first in the giants defense. I think he'll get like 11-13 sacks this year. And JPP will have healthy year and get 10+ as well. Creating a double daddy effect

My belief is based on the following. Vernon was 2nd in the NFL in pressures and JPP was 14th while missing significant action for injuries.
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

In regards to $per sack. You could say the same about any stat. I'd rather pay 600k per td from a wide receiver (cole beasley) than 1.75 million per TD (dez Bryant). I personally wouldn't but just saying. You could do that with interceptions, rushing yds, passing yds, tackles, ect. Tyrod Taylor probably gives more passing yds per dollar than Aaron rogers, but I'd take rogers all day every day

Last edited:

robjay04

Reaction score
Vernon will get more this year imo. Last year was his first in the giants defense. I think he'll get like 11-13 sacks this year. And JPP will have healthy year and get 10+ as well. Creating a double daddy effect

My belief is based on the following. Vernon was 2nd in the NFL in pressures and JPP was 14th while missing significant action for injuries.
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

In regards to $per sack. You could say the same about any stat. I'd rather pay 600k per td from a wide receiver (cole beasley) than 1.75 million per TD (dez Bryant). I personally wouldn't but just saying. You could do that with interceptions, rushing yds, passing yds, tackles, ect. Tyrod Taylor probably gives more passing yds per dollar than Aaron rogers, but I'd take rogers all day every day

You're assuming a lot believing JPP will stay healthy, something he has done once the last 4 years. You are also assuming a lot believing he will get 10+ sacks, something he has done once in the last five years(only in a contract year).

You're also assuming a lot believing Vernon will get 11-13 sacks considering he has done that once in his career---and he has always played on some pretty good defensive lines. Believing that two players will do something they have done once in the last 5 years now that they are filthy rich makes you sound more like an optimistic Giants fan or a very pessimistic Cowboys fans rather than a realist.

The Giants have also lost Hankins, most fans will tell you that he is a very valuable part of the line. So you're assuming these two players to do something they haven't done in five years on a weaker DL

I'm not going to lie, JPP was on my radar this offseason because I thought he would be a good fit. A couple factors did scare me, mainly that he was a very average player after the Super Bowl year until he got a contract year. Last season was essentially another contract year and he managed to have a solid season before injury. Once I saw the contract, I let out a huge sigh of relief the Cowboys didn't commit that to him. Committing that much money to a player that, on paper, has seemed to take seasons off really scares me. I don't watch the Giants enough to know all of the factors but no great "war daddy" defensive end has ever dropped off as much as he did right after he seemed like he was peaking during the SB year.

Also, using passing yards is a bad statistic to make your point considering passing yards are generally dependent on system. Sacks are more reflective of the player that the system especially if they are on the field for the majority of snaps. Without checking, I would guess Wentz had more yards than Dak last season---who cares?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
You're assuming a lot believing JPP will stay healthy, something he has done once the last 4 years. You are also assuming a lot believing he will get 10+ sacks, something he has done once in the last five years(only in a contract year).

You're also assuming a lot believing Vernon will get 11-13 sacks considering he has done that once in his career---and he has always played on some pretty good defensive lines. Believing that two players will do something they have done once in the last 5 years now that they are filthy rich makes you sound more like an optimistic Giants fan or a very pessimistic Cowboys fans rather than a realist.

The Giants have also lost Hankins, most fans will tell you that he is a very valuable part of the line. So you're assuming these two players to do something they haven't done in five years on a weaker DL

I'm not going to lie, JPP was on my radar this offseason because I thought he would be a good fit. A couple factors did scare me, mainly that he was a very average player after the Super Bowl year until he got a contract year. Last season was essentially another contract year and he managed to have a solid season before injury. Once I saw the contract, I let out a huge sigh of relief the Cowboys didn't commit that to him. Committing that much money to a player that, on paper, has seemed to take seasons off really scares me. I don't watch the Giants enough to know all of the factors but no great "war daddy" defensive end has ever dropped off as much as he did right after he seemed like he was peaking during the SB year.

Also, using passing yards is a bad statistic to make your point considering passing yards are generally dependent on system. Sacks are more reflective of the player that the system especially if they are on the field for the majority of snaps. Without checking, I would guess Wentz had more yards than Dak last season---who cares?
We are going to have to disagree on all the above. But it's all good. That's what forums are for !

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That's exactly right. The Raiders' "War Daddy" was defensive player of the year and yet they were last in sacks.

The Falcons' "War Daddy" had 15 sacks, yet the Cowboy defense ended up with more.

Yet another one of those things I wish Jerry had never said.
You could stop repeating it. I'm just saying.

You know I love ya W... but boy do I hate that term.