Finding That War Daddy DE Has Been Like Chasing Down Bigfoot

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Sad thing is...

I believe there were only six 4-3 defensive ends with double digit sacks last season if I remember correctly. It seems like it's easier to find a QB than find a double digit sack producing defensive end.

We just need to be realistic and have a rotation of several guys that can get you a half dozen.

This very reason is why I am starting to believe that the best thing for us to do is to draft one of the top CB's that may become a lockdown type than hope we can turn a DE at #28 into a 12+ sack guy.

robjay04

Reaction score
This very reason is why I am starting to believe that the best thing for us to do is to draft one of the top CB's that may become a lockdown type than hope we can turn a DE at #28 into a 12+ sack guy.

Chances are you can get similar sack production from someone drafted lower in the draft.

If teams thought a player was a double digit sack guy, he would be going in the top 5.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
And it's not even necessary.

You have 6 guys that can get 5 to 8 sacks and you're golden.

Sacks are great. Consistent pressure and pushing the pocket is even better.

I just want to see us affect the quarterback more often instead of seeing guys stand back there with a clean pocket and have all day to let receivers get open.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Maybe that's the answer. Find Bigfoot and hire him to be our pass rusher. This is a pretty good article.

Full article: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...ng-war-daddy-de-has-been-chasing-down-bigfoot
giphy.gif

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Starting CBs play 100% of the snaps. Starting DEs in a rotation scheme probably play about 70%.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I remember a similar sentiment about QB last year and yet we have our QB for the next decade in Dak. You never know what the FO is able to wrangle up in the draft. So don't be so sure of what will and will not happen.

Dak is a football miracle and not the norm.
I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Tak McKinley.

I won't mind it either but that upside on these guys like McKinley and Harris is very meh for me. Just solid rotational guys.

At least McKinley has long arms and has got to the QB with pretty much nothing but a high motor.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
What did you expect? The Cowboys were never going to get that guy through free agency before the draft. That guy is coming, either though the draft or post draft free agency. Patience folks.

How much longer are we going to have to be "patient"? I'm asking for a friend.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's exactly right. The Raiders' "War Daddy" was defensive player of the year and yet they were last in sacks.

The Falcons' "War Daddy" had 15 sacks, yet the Cowboy defense ended up with more.

Yet another one of those things I wish Jerry had never said.
A War Daddy isn't just about how many sacks you get. Can we stop with using a single stat to encompass the overall impact of a player? A War Daddy is someone you have to gameplan for and divert extra offensive attention to making everyone's lives easier. Mack and Beasley both did that.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When you are shopping at Walmart for the perfect Tiffany cut diamond, you probably will be forced to buy a Zircon and hope your woman doesn't take it to determine it's worth.

Jerry has been shopping at Walmart for his defensive ends since Ware.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"War Daddies R us" isn't a thing so until then we'll just have to keep trying through trail and error.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A War Daddy isn't just about how many sacks you get. Can we stop with using a single stat to encompass the overall impact of a player? A War Daddy is someone you have to gameplan for and divert extra offensive attention to making everyone's lives easier. Mack and Beasley both did that.

Agreed.

And Dallas still had a better defense than either.

Personally I think Irving is on the cusp of that.