Fire Jason Garrett? Then You Would Have Fired Tom Landry

Big_D

Reaction score
How stupid? Do let's stop scoring and let's play keep away so the other team can't score on our defense..lol brilliant!!!! I don't care how you try to spin it to fit your narrative, it's bogus. That dog don't hunt! I'd argue that there was more talent on defense than offense. With Jay Ratliff,Dware,Anthony Spencer,Bradie James, Terrance Newman. On offense they had Barber,Austin,Witten, Romo for 6 games.

As far as the 3 points. When your qb fumbles 3 times,yhows a pick. That's 4 turnovers what do you expect? How did the Vikings only put up 7 vs Philly. That got beat by a better team.

What's funny is you list 7 and 20 in weeks 1 and 2 like he set the world on fire??? lol The teams already 0-2… lets follow that up with 27. That's an all world offense right there!!! Wade goes on to win a Super Bowl.. Garrett gets passed up by another division team!!! Your narrative is laughable. You don't even mention any punt returns or defensive TDs in 2010. Just Garrett and that amazing 'passing offense'. If you don't get football by now and the importance of the running game, you never will. So far Garrett's clock miscues are a yearly issue yet people claim like he's some offensive mastermind???! This guys been killing the team since day 1. No doubt a better coach with some real experience gets better results. But this schmo put up top 10 passing numbers with Romo, Witten, Dez, T.O etc. what a coach! LOL How'd he do it? Then come playoff time he disappears.. as usual. The excuses don't end for some fans...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was a huge Landry fan and have been a Cowboy fan since the late 1960's, but I would have fired Landry. I think at the time many or even most Cowboy fans would have. The issue wasn't that Landry was fired, but how he was fired. Jerry bungled it. Should have been handled in a much more respectful way. Jerry should have had a plan for that, including having met with Landry before it became public Jerry was buying the team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well there are many fans like myself, for one, older and who have been rooting for the team for decades.

And JJ is very good at marketing the team, they're the national game on tv more than most teams. And who knows why somebody becomes a fan of a team not in their area? It's not something you can pinpoint, if only local people were fans probably the Jaguars, Lions and others in "small" markets were fans of the home town team, there probably wouldn't be a team, the advertisers aren't going to pay the NFL if nobody watches the games.

I imagine that without the huge television contracts we'd not have teams in Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, or Carolina, just not enough population in those areas to support a team with only local fans...

And I happen to be 25. I have grown up in a family of Eagles fans, and have stuck with the Cowboys. I intend to stick with the Cowboys for the foreseeable future. I should mention that I started watching somewhere between 1999-2000. So, the best I've seen is a few Cowboys appearances in the playoffs and 2 playoff wins. As said, I will stick with this team for the foreseeable future.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Tice didn't come from the Walsh tree either, he became TE coach for Vikings right after retirement. Linehan came from the same timing based offense that Garrett did.
Now for what you expected, first you can't disqualify Zeke from the argument, any argument that does is over when the Offense is built around an effective ground game. Anybody discrediting how Dak's struggles impacted last season, and how Dez struggled kills the argument. Dak struggles were more than I expected mainly from an accuracy standpoint, he didn't have the luxury of make slow reads because the line struggled and wasn't the same from the last season ,which caused him to miss some reads. There are a couple examples out there where he missed a wide open Beasley in the end zone and I think Witten too. Those 3 issues were a huge factor. I won't even use the injuries and suspension. So from there I will here you go. I knew Dak would struggle, if you don't believe it, go look at my post history at the ranch from the end off last season. Now, could they have done more in Atlanta? Probably, but that was Zeke's first missed game, and at what point do you just compromise your entire game plan or offense in the middle of a game for 1 player, that actually played well in his other starts filling in for Tyron, hiding Dak's weaknesses (a second year qb) became even harder with Zeke out. Teams knew Rollouts ,screens, read option, Beasly, Ol, and Zeke was what hid his weakness, I don't know what more adjustments you wanted with a second year qb struggling with accuracy and without an effective run game for 6 weeks . Coaches aren't going to tell you that, they've been conditioned not, but don't act like it isn't a reason. The Greenbay game I was at that game, have pictures to prove it, when is the defense ever going to make a stop vs a good qb. But also, every coach could use hindsight and go back and find something that could've been done differently in every win and every loss.
When did teams start the crazy concept of being scared to score to fast? The Cowboys balled vs Greenbay and tha Dak run in the end zone to take the league sent the crowd in a frenzy, you score when there's the opportunity. Any other time fans are crying coaches are playing scared.

He was under Dennis Green as this says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)#Coaching_tree. Nonetheless, the POINT is that Linehan is of the WCO philosophy. As for the Packers game, I saw mistakes being made by the coaches that were nearly identical to the Packers game in 2013. Sure, we played a good game that game, but so did we in 2013. All it took was poor coaching to make the difference between winning those games and losing those games. Like I said, I could overlook a lot of what Garrett has done and support him if it weren't for how similar that loss was to the 2013 game. I'm not saying that Rodgers isn't a good QB. He's a beast. But, offensively, we were dominating them on the ground. Throwing it 3 times in a row when you're dominating an opponent is a DUMB idea. Stick to what works until they force you to change.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Again, I ask any of you who defend Garrett. Tell me one game in 2017 that you could directly attribute a win to Garrett.

Dre11

Reaction score
What's funny is you list 7 and 20 in weeks 1 and 2 like he set the world on fire??? lol The teams already 0-2… lets follow that up with 27. That's an all world offense right there!!! Wade goes on to win a Super Bowl.. Garrett gets passed up by another division team!!! Your narrative is laughable. You don't even mention any punt returns or defensive TDs in 2010. Just Garrett and that amazing 'passing offense'. If you don't get football by now and the importance of the running game, you never will. So far Garrett's clock miscues are a yearly issue yet people claim like he's some offensive mastermind???! This guys been killing the team since day 1. No doubt a better coach with some real experience gets better results. But this schmo put up top 10 passing numbers with Romo, Witten, Dez, T.O etc. what a coach! LOL How'd he do it? Then come playoff time he disappears.. as usual. The excuses don't end for some fans...

You exactly right I list them, because, I did want the hater claim cherry picking as you're doing. To rebuttal your stupid cherry pick of the first two games, knowledgeable football people know the defense is almost always ahead of offenses, So now an o-2 season is suppose to wreck ? Ok genius, explain why the other weeks Wade's defense couldn't play a little D with the offense output. Even if you count the 2 games you cherry picked, the first 8 games Wade was in charge of Defense put them at 6-2 or 5-3 a decent season at that point. As far as punt returns and Kick returns, they had 3 combined all season and 3 defensive td all season...lol which I think most of occurred after Wade was fired and Jason Took over....lol Now this is Gem, he put it up with TO,Dez, Romo, and Witten. He also put it up with Roy Freaking Williams and Miles In the tub Austin, and Witten...lol My man give it up, your football ignorance is apparent .

Dre11

Reaction score
He was under Dennis Green as this says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)#Coaching_tree. Nonetheless, the POINT is that Linehan is of the WCO philosophy. As for the Packers game, I saw mistakes being made by the coaches that were nearly identical to the Packers game in 2013. Sure, we played a good game that game, but so did we in 2013. All it took was poor coaching to make the difference between winning those games and losing those games. Like I said, I could overlook a lot of what Garrett has done and support him if it weren't for how similar that loss was to the 2013 game. I'm not saying that Rodgers isn't a good QB. He's a beast. But, offensively, we were dominating them on the ground. Throwing it 3 times in a row when you're dominating an opponent is a DUMB idea. Stick to what works until they force you to change.

• Linehan credits Dennis Erickson, his head coach at Idaho (1982–85), as the "biggest influence" on his attack-style offensive philosophies.[26]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Linehan

Dennis Erickson did not run the West Coast offense.

When the 49ers had reportedly named their finalists, three defensive coordinators were named. But the offensive-minded Erickson ended up being hired and due to the timing of the hiring, Erickson did not have the time to properly assemble his coaching staff. The 49ers' offense had mostly players who specialized in the West Coast Offense that Mariucci ran. But the aggressive style of offense that Erickson is known for deviated greatly from that scheme and the hybrid scheme that Erickson tried to employ in order to maintain parts of the West Coast Offense and ease the transition to his offense never worked out. After two seasons, Erickson was fired with three years remaining on his contract; he did not coach during the 2005 season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Erickson

Dre11

Reaction score
Again, I ask any of you who defend Garrett. Tell me one game in 2017 that you could directly attribute a win to Garrett.

So let's clear this up,
So you're saying that Garrett was directly attributed t o the loss by passing the ball instead of running, he directly attributed to the loss in Greenbay. But then turn aroun and say he didn't directly attribute to any wins, talk about contradicting...lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
  • Linehan credits Dennis Erickson, his head coach at Idaho (1982–85), as the "biggest influence" on his attack-style offensive philosophies.[26]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Linehan

Dennis Erickson did not run the West Coast offense.

When the 49ers had reportedly named their finalists, three defensive coordinators were named. But the offensive-minded Erickson ended up being hired and due to the timing of the hiring, Erickson did not have the time to properly assemble his coaching staff. The 49ers' offense had mostly players who specialized in the West Coast Offense that Mariucci ran. But the aggressive style of offense that Erickson is known for deviated greatly from that scheme and the hybrid scheme that Erickson tried to employ in order to maintain parts of the West Coast Offense and ease the transition to his offense never worked out. After two seasons, Erickson was fired with three years remaining on his contract; he did not coach during the 2005 season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Erickson

Fair enough.

So let's clear this up,
So you're saying that Garrett was directly attributed t o the loss by passing the ball instead of running, he directly attributed to the loss in Greenbay. But then turn aroun and say he didn't directly attribute to any wins, talk about contradicting...lol

Well, let's look at a different example of a different coach. In the 2014 Super Bowl, Pete Carroll called the pass play that resulted in the Super Bowl. Could you not say that the loss is directly attributed to Pete Carroll?

Dre11

Reaction score
Fair enough.

Well, let's look at a different example of a different coach. In the 2014 Super Bowl, Pete Carroll called the pass play that resulted in the Super Bowl. Could you not say that the loss is directly attributed to Pete Carroll?

If he called it he di, but that's not the point. The point is you can't say Garrett didn't directly attribute to wins, then turn around and say he attributed to losses.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
So the good news is hopefully when Garrett gets fired he will be replaced by a college coach who will rebuild the team and lead them to two consecutive Super Bowls.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If he called it he di, but that's not the point. The point is you can't say Garrett didn't directly attribute to wins, then turn around and say he attributed to losses.

Well, it actually does. Let me explain. If one play call such as that can cause a coach to directly contribute to a loss, then does that not mean that Garrett contributed to the loss in the Packers game with poor playcalling (despite a well played game overall)? And yet, there are games in which one could argue Pete Carroll's coaching directly attributed to Seahawks wins. For example, the playcalling in the Seahawks championship game against SFO in 2013 was well done. Pete Carroll's adjustments that game directly resulted in the win of the game, correct?

Dre11

Reaction score
Well, it actually does. Let me explain. If one play call such as that can cause a coach to directly contribute to a loss, then does that not mean that Garrett contributed to the loss in the Packers game with poor playcalling (despite a well played game overall)? And yet, there are games in which one could argue Pete Carroll's coaching directly attributed to Seahawks wins. For example, the playcalling in the Seahawks championship game against SFO in 2013 was well done. Pete Carroll's adjustments that game directly resulted in the win of the game, correct?

I never said he didn't contribute to a loss, but you're saying he never contribute to a win. The truth is, if you're going to blame the guy, you have to credit him too. Its no way around it. It's a crazy argument.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think a coach like David Shaw or Chris Peterson would do well coaching here.

Why? When very few have succeeded. You're not coaching kids, you don't have the control you do in college.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I never said he didn't contribute to a loss, but you're saying he never contribute to a win. The truth is, if you're going to blame the guy, you have to credit him too. Its no way around it. It's a crazy argument.

Fair enough.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was a huge Landry fan and have been a Cowboy fan since the late 1960's, but I would have fired Landry. I think at the time many or even most Cowboy fans would have. The issue wasn't that Landry was fired, but how he was fired. Jerry bungled it. Should have been handled in a much more respectful way. Jerry should have had a plan for that, including having met with Landry before it became public Jerry was buying the team.
There really is no good way to fire a legend if he’s not ready to step down .

I’ve been a Jerry critic since Day 1 but we all knew why Jerry was selected by Bum because he knew Jerry was bringing in his own coach.

Bum had the Hardon for Tom not Jerry.

It’s not like Landry would have worked with Jerry. It would have been turmoil for Tom.

Once the decision was made to sell to Jerry I’m not really sure how it could have been handled differently since everyone knew Jerry’s intentions. Tom is still my most cherished personal autograph even over Roger but I supported bringing Jimmy in.

My Dad always said legends last forever and new legends are born everyday. I’ve never held Jerry in contempt for Toms firing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There really is no good way to fire a legend if he’s not ready to step down .

I’ve been a Jerry critic since Day 1 but we all knew why Jerry was selected by Bum because he knew Jerry was bringing in his own coach.

Bum had the Hardon for Tom not Jerry.

It’s not like Landry would have worked with Jerry. It would have been turmoil for Tom.

Once the decision was made to sell to Jerry I’m not really sure how it could have been handled differently since everyone knew Jerry’s intentions. Tom is still my most cherished personal autograph even over Roger but I supported bringing Jimmy in.

My Dad always said legends last forever and new legends are born everyday. I’ve never held Jerry in contempt for Toms firing.

No, there isn't a good way to fire a legend, but it's certainly better to have a respectful meeting with the legend rather than for him to find out because Jerry and Jimmy were drunk and spouting off in a restaurant.

diefree666

Reaction score
My standard is to fix the things that are actually broken. I happen to think doing the opposite is what’s pathetic.
just semantics

why not just come out and make it clear you would never fire garrett because you are terrified that the replacement would be worse