Fire Jason Garrett? Then You Would Have Fired Tom Landry

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yes, by all means, lets compare a coach who inherited a franchise QB and a draft eligible team to a coach who took over a new franchise without the benefit of a draft and had to build it from scratch.

He had the benefit of picking players off teams. Not the same but don't make out he had no picks. There were three to five good starters picked including a pretty good QB.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
To say Landry and Garrett are equal is like saying a Susan B. Anthony dollar has the same value as a 1792 gold George Washington President coin because they both say one dollar on the face.

I don't see him saying that. If you were around back then you'd remember the venom sent toward Landry. Most wanted him gone. Instead he got a long contract extension. Landry was a genius. Name someone capable of running the offense and defense like he did. But his results the first decade weren't so much and that's a fact. I will say this. No one seeing those teams and these would be confused about the talent and depth.

cern

Reaction score
Landry coached beyond his time. But during his best years He was among the nfl's best. Garrett has (is) coached beyond his time and has never accomplished anything. Nothing innovative about his style.

Dodger12

Reaction score
He had the benefit of picking players off teams. Not the same but don't make out he had no picks. There were three to five good starters picked including a pretty good QB.

Please don't tell me they had a "benefit" of picking unprotected players from other teams as if it compares to having a draft. They traded their draft picks, including their first in the 1961 draft, for LeBaron, Meredith wasn't acquired from another team which I know you know. Sp please don't make it sound like they plucked a QB off another team in this great player acquisition system they were "gifted" in 1960. I don't think any other expansion team had to start with less. The lengths folks go to defend Garrett is shameless.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Comparing Jason Jones Garrett to Tom Landry is a DISGRACE to Tom Landry's legacy. Landry accomplished more before the Cowboys than Jason Garrett has...accomplished in football.

For the 1954 football season, Landry became the defensive coordinator for the Giants, opposite Vince Lombardi, who was the offensive coordinator. Landry led one of the best defensive teams in the league from 1956 to 1959. The two coaches created a fanatical loyalty within the unit they coached that drove the Giants to three appearances in the NFL championship game in four years. The Giants beat the George Halas-led Chicago Bears 47–7 in 1956, but lost to the Baltimore Colts in 1958 and 1959.

Landry was a Head Coach... Jason Jones Garrett is Jerry Jones puppet.

This, much rather have Tom coaching from his grave than red from the sidelines.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Comparing Jason Jones Garrett to Tom Landry is a DISGRACE to Tom Landry's legacy. Landry accomplished more before the Cowboys than Jason Garrett has...accomplished in football.

For the 1954 football season, Landry became the defensive coordinator for the Giants, opposite Vince Lombardi, who was the offensive coordinator. Landry led one of the best defensive teams in the league from 1956 to 1959. The two coaches created a fanatical loyalty within the unit they coached that drove the Giants to three appearances in the NFL championship game in four years. The Giants beat the George Halas-led Chicago Bears 47–7 in 1956, but lost to the Baltimore Colts in 1958 and 1959.

Landry was a Head Coach... Jason Jones Garrett is Jerry Jones puppet.
Ouch. Thats gonna leave a mark !!@

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Please don't tell me they had a "benefit" of picking unprotected players from other teams as if it compares to having a draft. They traded their draft picks, including their first in the 1961 draft, for LeBaron, Meredith wasn't acquired from another team which I know you know. Sp please don't make it sound like they plucked a QB off another team in this great player acquisition system they were "gifted" in 1960. I don't think any other expansion team had to start with less. The lengths folks go to defend Garrett is shameless.
It was the same as a draft but he got to chose veterans

plasticman

Reaction score
Lol,

"Different times...."

So, winning feels different now?

"How dare you compare the two men".....

Never did. Compared their results over the same length of experience. This is a results based league.

"Tom Landry was......"

Forgive me if I'm not impressed with some of you guy's ability to travel back to 1967 and predict Landry's future success. What he was in 1967 was the "Coach Who Can't win the Big One"

"Compare Garrett to current Super Bowl champion Coaches instead"

Compare Tom Landry's first 8 seasons to the championship coaches of the 60's. Again, same results for both.

But the most interesting aspect is so many attempts to deviate from the actual issue, the topic in thiis thread.

Tell me why you wouldn't fire Tom Landry in 1967 but you would fire Garrett despite having the exact same playoft record and close losses. Pretend that you are not an oracle and examine Landry only up to 1967. I already know that Landry was more successful in his 9th to his 29th year career compared to Garrett's non existent 9th to 29th years.

You could continue your feeble accusations of blasphemy and evasive insults or you could join the debate and make a meaningful rebuttal with actual facts of your own. Some of you have and I appreciate and respect you for it.

RS12

Reaction score
You jumped over the whole pedigree part. Landry was D Coordinator for NYG 1950's where they won a championship before he became a HC here, and coached in two championship losses to the Colts. Ginger OTOH clapped in Miami and here. Just a slight difference.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
There is nothing to believe, I am not expressing an opinion.I am stating a fact.

Since you are stating "facts" and not simply your opinion, and you stated that the Cowboys will go to the SuperBowl next season. Then lets bet.

Since you know "for a fact" the Cowboys will go to the SB next season, its a given I am going to lose. So its simple, if you are proven correct and the Cowboys go to the SB, I will take a 3 month vacation and not even log onto the site.

However, if it is proven you are blowing smoke and end up being a fraud like your boy Garrett is and the Cowboys do not go to the SuperBowl, then you take a three month vacation and don't log onto the site.

So you got the balls to back up your proclamation.............I dam sure do............or are you going to chicken out and tuck your tail and run away?

rpntex

Reaction score
Yes, by all means, lets compare a coach who inherited a franchise QB and a draft eligible team to a coach who took over a new franchise without the benefit of a draft and had to build it from scratch.

The “expansion franchise” crap don’t wash after the first few years. It still took Landry 11 seasons to win his SECOND playoff game.

rpntex

Reaction score
Of course it’s ludicrous to compare Garrett to Landry, knowing what we know NOW. But, back during those first 10 seasons of his tenure, Landry would have been burned at the proverbial stake on this board. All we would have read was “10seasons at the helm and he’s only won ONE lousy playoff game”.

As ridiculous as it sounds, when you look at it in context - without the benefit of hindsight - the OP is right. Landry would have never received the opportunity to stick around and become the great coach we knew him to be.

Lutonio

Reaction score

Owned.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Garrett losing to Aaron Rodgers once is bad enough but losing twice with the second loss throwing the ball on the 8 yard line when they should of been running the ball to burn up clock is complete stupidity! But thats just part of the reason Garrett needs to be let go. This team has become so predictable and is refusing to do anything new offensively it has become a joke. Even Chris Carter the Cowboy hater said the Cowboys have become too reliant on their oline and Zeke and they dont get the ball outside to their WRs or RBs. Defenses have clogged the middle and Dallas has become a battering ram and you cant play 60 min of that style of play. He said there is no creativity to the offense and that they dont make big plays down field and its just too hard to constantly put together 15 play scoring drives. He said they have no speed on offense and Jason Witten is a player who can contribute but doesnt have enough speed to be anymore than a role player. He said Dez doesnt get separation and that all out WRs pretty much get tackled right when they catch the ball. He said its all a combination of Garretts scheme and also needing better play and speed at the WR and TE position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Another pathetic thread comparing Garret to Landry. Can we make a rule that if you aren't old enough to have witnessed the 70's that you can't comment on Landry.? I'm 215 lbs. That doesn't make me emmit smith.
Yep . Those that didn’t experience the Landry era probably aren’t qualified to use as comparison except in a historical perspective.

I studied history and wrote a paper on the Great Depression but I could never feel the pain and suffering my parents and grandparents lived thru that era.