Fire Jason Garrett? Then You Would Have Fired Tom Landry

ShiningStar

Reaction score
My guess is Garrett’s avid defenders will be overly critical of the new coach, sort of how Dak was criticized from day 1 by a portion of the fanbase when he began getting accolades from Romo haters.

sadly you are right. I didnt factor that. harder when one is in NJ

diefree666

Reaction score
Landry was an innovator before he ever became coach of the Cowboys ; and when he assumed the mantle of head coach the "talent pool" in Dallas resembled a drop of bug urine...........What part of that do you not understand ?

It took half a decade for the team to acquire players who actually belonged in the NFL as opposed to that rag-tag group that entered the league ; and starting in 1965 it took 21 years before Landry ever had a losing season again.When Romo got hurt , the team collapsed with Garrett at the helm.

Landry started with the longest possible road; no expansion team in the history of the NFL started off with so little. Remember when expansion teams got the top pick in each rd?
Dallas had none the first year.
as regards available talent: this was the same year the AFL began; so there were teams willing to spend money to get vets; much more than Dallas was willing to spend.
And Dallas had to compete with the AFL each year. Since the AFL drafted from the same pool as the NFL was drafting.
And yet in spite of all that the Cowboys steadily improved each year. THAT was why Stram gave him that extension- he could see what was being built. One of the Greatest Dynasty's in the history of the NFL.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Cant argue this. Tho i feel once Garrett is replaced, no one will mind and just move on as if it never happened.
If they did otherwise, I would really question their sanity. Some might pretend that they were actually critical all along, but we know who they are.

Alexander

Reaction score
8 sacks against Atlanta with no adjustments. Landryesque. Lordy.
It is not even that.

Landry was an innovator. He designed a defense and an offense. He owned the flex and re-introduced the shotgun offense.

Garrett? He basically re-introduced the Sid Gillman/Don Coryell offense to the league.

Not quite the same thing.

The sad part about Garrett is that I really can't say what he does other than stick to what he knows.

He is not an innovator. He is not an X and O coach.

What the hell is he other than an administrator, clapping rah rah machine and PR face?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is not even that.

Landry was an innovator. He designed a defense and an offense. He owned the flex and re-introduced the shotgun offense.

Garrett? He basically re-introduced the Sid Gillman/Don Coryell offense to the league.

Not quite the same thing.

The sad part about Garrett is that I really can't say what he does other than stick to what he knows.

He is not an innovator. He is not an X and O coach.

What the hell is he other than an administrator, clapping rah rah machine and PR face?
Great questions ...

I see Garrett as the one whos left trying to hold together all of the distractions and the dysfunction Jerry’s created.

Alexander

Reaction score
Great questions ...

I see Garrett as the one whos left trying to hold together the mess Jerry’s created.

Blaming Jones is the easy way out. And I understand.

Few coaches could succeed operating under the method Jerry Jones employs.

But the technical side is what Garrett can control. He can't control the Jerry Jones impulses, but he can control the on-field product. Garrett has been content to deliberately drop his own silly and personal velvet hammer, but the big time decisions are not going to come from him. He is a subservient employee to the core.

Parcells did that. He established a culture and while it made Jones uncomfortable, it moved the franchise forward.

Garrett has not done anything, honestly. I fail to see that if he were fired tomorrow that you could point to one thing he did that moved the franchise forward.

If he was so "Ivy League smart" where is the proof? The only thing I see is that he is a pretty damn good politician.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Great questions ...

I see Garrett as the one whos left trying to hold together all of the distractions and the dysfunction Jerry’s created.

Garrett signed up for the job, at lot this was not hidden as everyone knew why Jimmy left. This is not Buffalo or another organization. this is the Dallas Cowboys where Jerry will ruin it as long as he can.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Blaming Jones is the easy way out. And I understand.

Few coaches could succeed operating under the method Jerry Jones employs.

But the technical side is what Garrett can control. He can't control the Jerry Jones impulses, but he can control the on-field product. Garrett has been content to deliberately drop his own silly and personal velvet hammer, but the big time decisions are not going to come from him. He is a subservient employee to the core.

Parcells did that. He established a culture and while it made Jones uncomfortable, it moved the franchise forward.

Garrett has not done anything, honestly. I fail to see that if he were fired tomorrow that you could point to one thing he did that moved the franchise forward.

If he was so "Ivy League smart" where is the proof? The only thing I see is that he is a pretty damn good politician.
Being a good politician or puppet is a big part of the battle here.

He holds the team together. HC for the Cowboys under Jerry is unlike any other.

We could argue Garrett has influenced a culture here as well trying to hold it together . That’s the biggest job under Jerry... preventing it all from a total collapse .

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If you include Jason Garrett's term as interum Head Coach then he has eight seasons under his belt.

Garrett's playoff record is 1-2. Both losses came in the final minute against Green Bay.

Let's take a look at Tom Landry's first eight seasons....

Landry's playoff record was 1-2. Both losses came in the final minute against Green Bay.

If you believe that Jason Garrett should be fired then it would be hypocritical to insist you would have not felt the same about Tom Landry after his first eight seasons.

Tom Landry took the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl in his tenth season as their Head Coach. Over the next ten seasons they went to 4 more Super Bowls and 7 conference championships.

This current team is built. They will see vast improvement in the secondary, they have their pass rushers. They will get a full season from Elliott, Prescott can forget his sophomore season, the offensive line remains elite.

If you remain committed to the firing of Garrett, prepare to accept the consequences of your opinion.

The Cowboys will go the Super Bowl next season and it will become a habit.

Yea, the league is exactly like it was in 1960.......................its called CONTEXT!!!

I seriously don't know how you Garrett jock riders can type crap like this with a straight face.

And I will bet my account on this site the Cowboys DO NOT go to the Super Bowl next season.........if you are so confident they will, you betting yours?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We aren’t going to have a normal situation here with Jerry. So our expectations are going to be different from comparing to other organizations.

And we can’t expect to attract normal coaches unless they can’t land a HC job elsewhere .

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The OP's attempt at trying to treat Landry and Garrett as one in the same because of a 1-2 playoff record is hilarious.

This no different than folks trippin out on the eerie similarities between JFK and Lincoln's assassinations or whatever.

Landry and Garrett share nothing but coincidence.

Last edited:

Alexander

Reaction score
The OP's attempt at trying to treat Landry and Garrett as one in the same because of a 1-2 playoff record is hilarious.

This no different than folks trippin out on the eery similarities between JFK and Lincoln's assassinations or whatever.

Landry and Garrett share nothing but coincidence.
Actually the parallels between the Kennedy and Lincoln assassinations are stronger than what was presented here.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Even if I shut down every neuron I have and pretend that Garrett and Landry are on the same trajectory, it still does not add up.

Landry took the Cowboys to the NFL Title game (the equivalent of the SB today) at the end of his seventh season, which ironically Garrett just finished his seventh full season, and he didn't even make the playoffs.

I am just going to pretend that this is a joke thread, nobody can be this stupid.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I guess that's why Hostile left? Bwahahahaha..

Hostile also proclaimed Garrett to be the next Tom Landry..................I laughed in his face and said his boy Garrett was a joke and we would not win a dam thing with him as HC.

I challenged him to so many bets, he would say the Cowboys would make the playoffs and I would laugh and say 8-8 tops, then we go 8-8 three years in a row.......LOL

I won so many bets against Hostile, I lost count.................So far I have been proven right, 8 years later and just a single Wildcard win. I guess that is why he is gone and I am still here.;)