Fire Jason Garrett? Then You Would Have Fired Tom Landry

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I kwow who Tom Landry is.I know what he did. I saw every single Dallas Cowboy game he coached from game #3 in 1970 to his very last one in 1988.

Tom Landry is my hero.He was a true hero before he ever played a single down of college football, I have studied his life, I worshiped the man. There will never be another Tom Landry but THAT IS NOT THE WAY HE WAS THOUGHT OF IN HIS EARLY YEARS AND THAT IS THE LESSON!

You are all talking about things that Tom Landry did beyond a point in his career that Jason Garrett has not reached and that is blatantly unfair.But if you have a fixed agenda, an unmovable opinion that Jason should be fired then all you can do is compare Tom Landry's entire 29 year career to Garrett's 8. I can't force you to be fair.

However, understand:

Everything you are saying about Garrett was being said about Landry at that point in his career. They were calling for his head long before that.

After ten seasons under Tom Landry, the Dallas Cowboys were 1-4 in the playoffs.

He was so sure that he was going to be fired after his 5th season that he said goodbye to the team and was in tears. He was being roasted by the Dallas media and by fans. So remember that.
kittylaugh.jpg

Section446

Reaction score
If you include Jason Garrett's term as interum Head Coach then he has eight seasons under his belt.

Garrett's playoff record is 1-2. Both losses came in the final minute against Green Bay.

Let's take a look at Tom Landry's first eight seasons....

Landry's playoff record was 1-2. Both losses came in the final minute against Green Bay.

If you believe that Jason Garrett should be fired then it would be hypocritical to insist you would have not felt the same about Tom Landry after his first eight seasons.

Tom Landry took the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl in his tenth season as their Head Coach. Over the next ten seasons they went to 4 more Super Bowls and 7 conference championships.

This current team is built. They will see vast improvement in the secondary, they have their pass rushers. They will get a full season from Elliott, Prescott can forget his sophomore season, the offensive line remains elite.

If you remain committed to the firing of Garrett, prepare to accept the consequences of your opinion.

The Cowboys will go the Super Bowl next season and it will become a habit.
Not sure if trolling.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Tom Laundry were given the team Garrett was given, Tom would have 2 Super Bowl appearances by now and probably 1 victory. You can't discount a brilliant mind, no matter what era.
100% agree. GREAT coaches win anywhere, any era.

A quick story on the great Vince Lombardi. His first coaching job was at a Catholic HS in New York. Even though he had never played or coached basketball, when the original basketball head coach at that high school left the school at the beginning of basketball season, Lombardi was pressed into duty as the basketball coach. He read books, consulted with other BB coaches....and his team won the state championship....in basketball!!!

Great coaches can always coach. Anywhere.

If Tom Landry were coaching today, he would be light years ahead of most other coaches in this league. He had a degree in Civil Engineering and his mind was meticulously organized. He was an innovator then, and would be today in in a completely different era.

I don’t hate Jason Garrett. And I hope he succeeds here because I love the cowboys. But he’s not that great as a head coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
Landry coached the Cowboys to a NFL Champ game appearance in his 7th season.

What did Garrett do in his 7th full season?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Landry coached the Cowboys to a NFL Champ game appearance in his 7th season.

What did Garrett do in his 7th full season?
Well, Garrett would have had that.

The crooked refs and the Dez Bryant no catch took care of that. Duh!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I kwow who Tom Landry is.I know what he did. I saw every single Dallas Cowboy game he coached from game #3 in 1970 to his very last one in 1988.

Tom Landry is my hero.He was a true hero before he ever played a single down of college football, I have studied his life, I worshiped the man. There will never be another Tom Landry but THAT IS NOT THE WAY HE WAS THOUGHT OF IN HIS EARLY YEARS AND THAT IS THE LESSON!

You are all talking about things that Tom Landry did beyond a point in his career that Jason Garrett has not reached and that is blatantly unfair.But if you have a fixed agenda, an unmovable opinion that Jason should be fired then all you can do is compare Tom Landry's entire 29 year career to Garrett's 8. I can't force you to be fair.

However, understand:

Everything you are saying about Garrett was being said about Landry at that point in his career. They were calling for his head long before that.

After ten seasons under Tom Landry, the Dallas Cowboys were 1-4 in the playoffs.

He was so sure that he was going to be fired after his 5th season that he said goodbye to the team and was in tears. He was being roasted by the Dallas media and by fans. So remember that.

Instead of looking back at Landry in a different era for pro football, you need to look at Garrett compared to coaches of today. I made a thread a while back showing that most Super Bowl coaches of recent years do so within their first five years with their teams. Garrett can't be compared to Landry, but he can be compared to his contemporaries, and in that comparison, he is woefully lacking.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Cant argue this. Tho i feel once Garrett is replaced, no one will mind and just move on as if it never happened.

I bet if the next coach goes to or wins a SB in the first few years a few will want to credit JG and say the new coach won with JG’s guys.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Yes, by all means, lets compare a coach who inherited a franchise QB and a draft eligible team to a coach who took over a new franchise without the benefit of a draft and had to build it from scratch.
Yes. Not to mention the fact that The Hat had us in the NFL championship game (and knocking on the door of the first two SB’s) in back to back seasons during the same time interval that Red had only booked a wildcard win. Other than that their tenures are totally comparable. Smh.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If you include Jason Garrett's term as interum Head Coach then he has eight seasons under his belt.

Garrett's playoff record is 1-2. Both losses came in the final minute against Green Bay.

Landry's playoff record was 1-2. Both losses came in the final minute against Green Bay.

If you believe that Jason Garrett should be fired then it would be hypocritical to insist you would have not felt the same about Tom Landry after his first eight seasons.

Tom Landry took the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl in his tenth season as their Head Coach. Over the next ten seasons they went to 4 more Super Bowls and 7 conference championships.

This current team is built. They will see vast improvement in the secondary, they have their pass rushers. They will get a full season from Elliott, Prescott can forget his sophomore season, the offensive line remains elite.

If you remain committed to the firing of Garrett, prepare to accept the consequences of your opinion.

Please don't insult Tom Landry. Garrett is not worthy of being even mentioned in the same breath as Tom Landry.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I like your dedication to Garrett, but to even mention his mediocrity in the same breath as Tom Landry is going a might too far.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Bang bang your dead in the water with that thread amigo:muttley:

Mannix

Reaction score
The Clapping Carrot had a few months to prepare for losing a RB and failed....Pederson went to his workshop and in 2 weeks reconstructed his backup QB's game plan and won a SB. I am REALLY beginning to hate EVERYTHING about this organization....starting with that DUMB AZZ stadium!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
If you believe all of these things then basically you are insulting the man by even mentioning a fop like Jason Garrett in the same breath.
There is nothing to believe, I am not expressing an opinion.I am stating a fact. That is why you cannot counter with anything other than some imagined slight against Tom Landry.

I don't know how long you have been a fan but if you were around in 1989 then you know what was being said about Jimmy Johnson, particularly after he traded the team's only Pro Bowler, Herschel Walker. Tom Landry is gone after going 3-13 but this guy goes 1-15?

So many fans and media "experts" claimed he could never have a winning season much less a Super Bowl victory.Nobody imagined for a second that in five years he would bring more championships to the Cowboys than Landry....but it happened.

Does anybody have the capacity to judge Tom Landry only on his first eight seasons? What do you see? How is it any better than Jason Garrett's. Hindsight is convenient, isn't it?

It's the truth, has anybody denied it? if you had no knowledge of Tom Landry's entire career and only knew about his first eight season, WHICH IS ALL WE NOW KNOW ABOUT GARRETT'S, THEN THOSE WHO WOULD FIRE GARRETT NOW WOULD CERTAINLY HAVE FIRED THE NOW REVERED TOM LANDRY.

If not, then please describe what was so different about Tom Landry's circumstances.