First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The problem is that he's making mistakes that have nothing to do with his OL or who his WRs are.

Like when he throws into double coverage Monday night and gets intercepted when there were TWO WIDE OPEN WRs, one in his line of vision. That's not the OLs fault or whoever is playing WR's fault. That's his. Or when he willingly runs out of bounds TWICE to take a sack when all he had to do was just shot put the ball out of bounds. That's not the OL's fault. That's his only fault.

In other words, I think people are fooling themselves thinking that if you give him a great OL and great WRs he's going to look like a stud out there.

You are precisely the guy I would expect that will always think Dak was great just only to be let down by everyone around him. You don't seem capable of being a critical thinker.

It's funny how in 2016 when he did have a great line and he was a rookie he WAS offensive rookie of the year, set NFL record for fewest picks for a rookie season of any rookie QB ever, set NFL record for most attempts before throwing his first pick in NFL history.

There's a difference between being a "critical" thinker and people that don't apply the same things ALL QB's have done but only think Prescott has done them. There has never been a QB, including QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Brees or any other QB you want to name that hasn't missed seeing open receivers and thrown into double coverage. Oh and both times Prescott did run of of bounds instead throwing the ball out of bounds he lost a total of 3 yards, 1 yard one time and 2 yards the other and those 3 yards had nothing to do with the loss the Cowboys suffered. That's only a big deal for Prescott haters because according to you he's he only one that's ever done that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes they are, because the Houston game was week 5 and the Giants game week 7 and that first pass in the Giants game, if I remember correctly was a miscue with him and Crayton and they still looked better in that disastrous season in Romo’s first start than with Bledsoe in.

Romo saved that season and in particular Parcell’s reputation.

To be fair. Parcells does deserve credit for getting us Romo.

Parcells chose to keep Romo on the roster, developing.

And Parcells hired legitimate coaches like Sean Payton and David Lee that could actually develop a young, raw QB.

As good as Romo ended up being, it would be interesting to see how his career trajectory would have ended up, with a team that didn’t show as much patience as Parcells and his crew did, in developing him properly.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yes they are, because the Houston game was week 5 and the Giants game week 7 and that first pass in the Giants game, if I remember correctly was a miscue with him and Crayton and they still looked better in that disastrous season in Romo’s first start than with Bledsoe in.

Romo saved that season and in particular Parcell’s reputation.

First off Romo went in to start the second half of a giants game where Bledsoe had the Cowboys around the giants 10 yard line and threw a pick just before halftime. Romo came out to start the 2nd half and the very first play his pass was tipped and picked off. He started 0 -1 with 1 pick.. Later he threw a second pick. The Cowboys lost that game but Romo became the starter from then on.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Dak is a victim of his early success... he benefited from being in a great situation, and he stepped up, played within himself and delivered a spectacular rookie year.

Now— expectations have been set, his surrounding cast is not as good as 2016– defenses have adjusted— and Dak looks much more mortal.

IMO— Dak is not as good as his rookie year, nor is he as bad as his last 16 games. He is still developing, but the next 9 games will reveal a lot about which direction his arrow is pointing.

Romo and Dak are different types of QBs— but one fact is indisputable— Romo had the benefit of several years of learning before being the starter while Dak has not.

Nice to see a logical, sane post for once in this place.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Nice to see a logical, sane post for once in this place.

giphy.gif

khiladi

Reaction score
First off Romo went in to start the second half of a giants game where Bledsoe had the Cowboys around the giants 10 yard line and threw a pick just before halftime. Romo came out to start the 2nd half and the very first play his pass was tipped and picked off. He started 0 -1 with 1 pick.. Later he threw a second pick. The Cowboys lost that game but Romo became the starter from then on.

First off, you were wrong, that Romo’s first pass was an INT. It was a 30 plus yard strike to Hurd.

Second, Romo saved that trash offense, while Dak came into an offense with everything going right, including an all-pro line. Like I said, even in that game, with a Romo in, the offense looked light years better than with Bledsoe who had more INTs than TDS and under 60% completions percentage,

Not sure what your point is. Dak in that offense would have been worse than Bledsoe.

khiladi

Reaction score
To be fair. Parcells does deserve credit for getting us Romo.

Parcells chose to keep Romo on the roster, developing.

And Parcells hired legitimate coaches like Sean Payton and David Lee that could actually develop a young, raw QB.

As good as Romo ended up being, it would be interesting to see how his career trajectory would have ended up, with a team that didn’t show as much patience as Parcells and his crew did, in developing him properly.

Actually, Sean Payton is the guy that got us Romo and he was really his pet project. They went to the same school and Romo broke Payton’s record and he was supposedly on the table begging we take him. Stephen Jones, not sure if he’s speaking out of bias, basically says that it really all came down to Payton.

Shanahan was also trying to get him in Denver.

Even Darren Woodson is quoted as telling Romo that he was the best QB by far on the roster.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...mo-dallas-cowboys-became-starting-quarterback

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
First off, you were wrong, that Romo’s first pass was an INT. It was a 30 plus yard strike to Hurd.

Second, Romo saved that trash offense, while Dak came into an offense with everything going right, including an all-pro line. Like I said, even in that game, with a Romo in, the offense looked light years better than with Bledsoe who had more INTs than TDS and under 60% completions percentage,

Not sure what your point is. Dak in that offense would have been worse than Bledsoe.

My point with you is when Romo went in for Bledsoe in the giants game Romo's 1st pass was a pick and no matter what you say or think, history and facts show Romo's 1st pass was a pick.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/10/24/bledsoe_benched_but_romo_no_help/

Make sure you read the 1st paragraph, twice if it takes you that long to sink in.

khiladi

Reaction score
My point with you is when Romo went in for Bledsoe in the giants game Romo's 1st pass was a pick and no matter what you say or think, history and facts show Romo's 1st pass was a pick.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/10/24/bledsoe_benched_but_romo_no_help/

Make sure you read the 1st paragraph, twice if it takes you that long to sink in.

No your point was the “first throw” of Romo was a pick. That wasn’t his first throw because his first throw was against the Texans, which was actually a week prior to the Giants game.

And how YEARS of experience did Romo, who I have always really like, had before that great game developing those skills. Again as much as I have always like Romo, his 1st pass was a pick, Prescott not so much.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No your point was the “first throw” of Romo was a pick. That wasn’t his first throw because his first throw was against the Texans.

I believe in one of post I said as a starter and the giants game was the start of him being a starter.

khiladi

Reaction score
I believe in one of post I said as a starter and the giants game was the start of him being a starter.

Not, I quoted what you said. And the Giants game he didn’t start, just like he didn’t start for the Texans. He came in for Bledsoe and threw his first pick against the Giants and he came in nd his first pass in the NFL was a plus 30 yard pass to Hurd against the Texans a year before.

Your argument had nothing to do with him becoming the starter after the Giants game, it was to try and make an absurd analogy that Dak supposedly has some promise and one should continue with him, because unlike Romo, he didn’t throw a pass that was a pick on his first throw (which was wrong anyways and even if he did, it means nothing in reality..)

HungryLion

Reaction score
Actually, Sean Payton is the guy that got us Romo and he was really his pet project. They went to the same school and Romo broke Payton’s record and he was supposedly on the table begging we take him. Stephen Jones, not sure if he’s speaking out of bias, basically says that it really all came down to Payton.

Shanahan was also trying to get him in Denver.

Even Darren Woodson is quoted as telling Romo that he was the best QB by far on the roster.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...mo-dallas-cowboys-became-starting-quarterback

You’re right that Payton gets the most credit.

My point is. Isn’t it a head coaches responsibility to hire assistants that will get the job done?

Parcells hired great assistants. Who did amazing jobs. Like Payton did with acquiring and developing Tony.

Garret hires crap assistants and then uses them as scapegoats so he can hang around longer.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not, I quoted what you said. And the Giants game he didn’t start, just like he didn’t start for the Texans. He came in for Bledsoe and threw his first pick against the Giants and he came in nd his first pass in the NFL was a plus 30 yard pass to Hurd against the Texans a year before.

Your argument had nothing to do with him becoming the starter after the Giants game, it was to try and make an absurd analogy that Dak supposedly has some promise and one should continue with him, because unlike Romo, he didn’t throw a pass that was a pick on his first throw (which was wrong anyways and even if he did, it means nothing in reality..)

OK, when (which was the game after the giant game) Romo became the starter did Romo and the Cowboys win 13 of his 1st 16 games? Yes I know there's no real way of comparing and yes I've always been a big Romo fan. You can't compare Romo's Cowboys to Prescott's Cowboys but we can see that Prescott's rookie year the Cowboys had a great offensive line and they now have only 40% of that great line just 3 years later. What does that mean? Prescott has little to no time to make his reads. All to often he's had time to read his first receiver before being sacked or force to run for it. This line also hasn't opened the holes for Elliott which also takes pressure of whoever the QB is. It's funny how when Prescott had that 2016 line he set an NFL record for the most attempts without a pick by any rookie QB and very close to setting the record for the highest completion percentage of any rookie QB. Yet you and others want to proclaim how bad Prescott is when he has little to no time to go through his reads and constantly finding himself and the Cowboys in long yardage situations from penalties, sacks and no holes for a running game and it's all because of Prescott. You seem to think that another QB is magically in the same amount of time as Prescott doesn't have this different QB will be able to make all of his reads and then decide where he can throw the ball and all of the holding calls will disappear along with all of the sacks and then all of a sudden there are going to be huge holes for Elliott to run through. The Prescott haters find it just so hard to see that the offense is as bad as it been largely because of the play of the O-line. A 60% change has taken it's toll on this once great line.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

My point is. Isn’t it a head coaches responsibility to hire assistants that will get the job done?

Parcells hired great assistants. Who did amazing jobs. Like Payton did with acquiring and developing Tony.

Garret hires crap assistants and then uses them as scapegoats so he can hang around longer.

Can I remind you that Parcell had a losing record in Dallas. So tell me again about all of the great assistant coaches he hired.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett is a student of Saban , who was a student of belicheat, who himself was a student of bill parcells .

So basically , when we hired Garrett, we went to the lowest possibility .

Hadenough

Reaction score

Garrett hires the most losing guys he can find so that he doesnt bring in a threat to his job!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's funny how in 2016 when he did have a great line and he was a rookie he WAS offensive rookie of the year, set NFL record for fewest picks for a rookie season of any rookie QB ever, set NFL record for most attempts before throwing his first pick in NFL history.

There's a difference between being a "critical" thinker and people that don't apply the same things ALL QB's have done but only think Prescott has done them. There has never been a QB, including QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Brees or any other QB you want to name that hasn't missed seeing open receivers and thrown into double coverage. Oh and both times Prescott did run of of bounds instead throwing the ball out of bounds he lost a total of 3 yards, 1 yard one time and 2 yards the other and those 3 yards had nothing to do with the loss the Cowboys suffered. That's only a big deal for Prescott haters because according to you he's he only one that's ever done that.
no, its not that nobody else has done it...its about doing it consistently good or consistently bad. every player makes bad throws. every player makes good throws. its matter of how often.

even in 2016 he was the bus driver, as he was 19th in the league in passing. he wasn't asked to do anything but be safe and drive the bus..... he was 23rd in total attempts....he was safe with the ball, didn't;'t turn it over, but he didn't have to carry the team....zeke and the OL were the engine.....zeke had almost 2000 yards combined. the offense ranked 5th in the league, which tells me we were run first and run focused. we were 2nd in rushing.....

Dak had flaws in 2016. his fundamentals were bad. He was lucky to have Sanchez and Romo on the sideline coaching him and being in his ear.....he definitely misses them. the winning masked a lot of ugliness....and plus, the DCs didn't have time to study him and react to him. one off season and some film and they figured out how to stop the cowboys offense and force Dak Prescott to beat them....he is not able to...he has not been able to improve his fundamentals, including his footwork, throwing motion, reading defenses before the snap, aligning the players, ability to change plays at the line, adjust WRs routes, etc..... he was a one year wonder.....