First chosen coach to jump wins?

Bigdog

Reaction score
The crazy thing about being a Cowboys fan in the Jones era is we are supposed to somehow make sense out of their nonsense.
We are all couch psychologists trying to figure them out

erod

Reaction score
Do you have proof that Riley is talking to Jones? Because I'm not sure I believe that. He is VERY happy at Oklahoma .

It's been widely reported in Dallas. Not that they are talking about the job, per se, but that they've socially become friendly and talk fairly often.

I'm an OU fan, so I hope he's there for a long time, but if he wants to go pro like most eventually do, I hope it's here.

erod

Reaction score
The answer to that was having his play-calling duties taken away from him and one foot out the door in NY.

Exactly. Offensive coaches are typically only as good as their quarterbacks make them look.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Erod, both of your coaches would fit in Boogerworld. Neither is a spotlight seeker but I do think Payton would want to fulfill the role of the HC and stop Booger from making player announcements. I also do not think Payton would be OK with the Joneses making all of the coaching hire/fire decisions.

Like Parcells coming in with skins on the wall, Payton would be in a better position to make some "demands".

The question in my mind is after this snafu with Linehan and Garrett last week and the embarrassment of Garrett's "collaboration" defense on crawfishing, how does this job look to a coach with multiple opportunities? If the Rams win it all, Riley's stock will rise quickly and he will be a hot commodity. He may be ready to move before Booger is ready.

Riley has openly admitted the NFL does hold interest for him so I think he eventually takes the leap with a great safety net, he can always come back to college. That's the beauty of coaching, failing means never having to apologize.

And on the reverse of this embarrassment last week, if Garrett should want to leave or get fired, does this proof of the control of the Joneses make his chances better or worse? I do not think that was a surprise to any of the other owners or GMs as I think Booger's ego makes him let it be known to all he's the HMFIC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been widely reported in Dallas. Not that they are talking about the job, per se, but that they've socially become friendly and talk fairly often.

I'm an OU fan, so I hope he's there for a long time, but if he wants to go pro like most eventually do, I hope it's here.
Won't matter, OU is one of the plum jobs with perpetual recruiting built in so they'd land a heavy hitter. Hell, time has passed, most would welcome Stoops back. Word was it was really one person on the Board that had it in for him after that Mixon BS.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think it's clear where Jerry and Stephen are going with this, and it makes perfect sense.

They are not going to extend Jason Garrett this offseason. That's smart.

That makes it nearly impossible to attract a sought-after offensive coordinator, and even harder to construct a coaching staff around a new scheme on such a short leash.

So, Garrett reclaims the play-calling duties with the young mind of Kellen Moore, whom Dak really likes and trusts, stepping into a pseudo offensive coordinator role. Garrett gets one more chance to earn his spot. It's pretty much Super Bowl or bust, or very close to that. He hopes.

Meanwhile, Jerry and Stephen wait.

Sean Payton has sons in Dallas and a history with the team. He remains close with the Joneses. The timing has never lined up, but the mutual interest seems logical and apparent.

Lincoln Riley resides up north and also converses with Jerry on a semi-regular basis. That relationship is blooming quickly.

The moment Brees retires, Payton will quit shortly after. If not for a horrible no-call yesterday, that Super Bowl might have been the swan song for both. Now, it's up in the air. Emotions are fresh.

Up north, Riley loves his current gig, which is a great one. Paved for him. However, the temptation of the NFL is strong and will likely overcome him sooner or later. That's the true proving ground.

So, there's a semi-standing offer for both Payton and Riley. It's dangling in front of both like a $10 million carrot.

Perhaps all they need to do is ask. First one to jump wins.

^^^^this.....like I said in another thread. With most coaches contracts expiring after next season, I'm guessing they're setting this up for major house cleaning on both sides of the ball.

cern

Reaction score
^^^^this.....like I said in another thread. With most coaches contracts expiring after next season, I'm guessing they're setting this up for major house cleaning on both sides of the ball.
in the last two years we've made a lot of coaching moves. new wr coach, new te coach, new lb coach, new backfield coach (and de facto dc) and firing oline coach and replacing him with columbo.. now we rid ourselves of linehan. no replacement yet, but we seem to be getting better with coaches. just leaves one major change.

Fire407

Reaction score
They sure didn't care about embarrassing him last week. If I was Garrett, I'd be the one moving on.
To where? I don't believe any of the reports last week that other NFL teams would be interested in him as HC. Maybe an OC job in pros or college, but that's it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then where is Garrett's extension? He'd accept pretty much anything Jerry offered in a five-minute meeting.

I don’t know if they are planning an extension or not, but I’m confident if they are the idea isn’t to time it to answer the questions of internet posters

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To where? I don't believe any of the reports last week that other NFL teams would be interested in him as HC. Maybe an OC job in pros or college, but that's it.
Too much recycling in the NFL and since it's the Cowboys and these other owners and GMs are familiar with the Joneses, I think he would land another job easily. He knows all the players in the NFL circle and while a lot on this site do not like him, that is not the majority of fans because of the image he projects is liked by a lot of fans.

GenoT

Reaction score
SMH at people who still believe Garrett’s job is in any real danger. Obviously, some folks need to carefully revisit Cowboys 2007-present to understand the complete man-crush Jerry has on Jason. Unless this team completely screws the pooch, JG ain’t going nowhere.

Also...please realize that, if Jones promotes Kellen Moore to OC, he will then have “conveniently” given Garrett another 3-5 years while KM learns how to be an NFL OC.

And if Moore fails...? He gets fired, Garrett stays, another sacrificial OC gets hired and The Process continues.

Pants

Reaction score
I'd honestly rather have Riley. He's done it twice in two years with two different quarterbacks.

What is Sean Payton without Drew Brees?

I'd wouldn't mind finding out

erod

Reaction score
in the last two years we've made a lot of coaching moves. new wr coach, new te coach, new lb coach, new backfield coach (and de facto dc) and firing oline coach and replacing him with columbo.. now we rid ourselves of linehan. no replacement yet, but we seem to be getting better with coaches. just leaves one major change.
But the entirety of it all is a cluster mess.

You hire a head coach, then he oversees the hiring of the rest of the staff.

Jerry castrated Wade by hiring Garrett and paying him the same amount of money. Now, he's castrated Garrett by stripping play-calling duties and dictating staff changes.

Eunuchs don't make good head coaches.

Batman1980

Reaction score
But the entirety of it all is a cluster mess.

You hire a head coach, then he oversees the hiring of the rest of the staff.

Jerry castrated Wade by hiring Garrett and paying him the same amount of money. Now, he's castrated Garrett by stripping play-calling duties and dictating staff changes.

Unics don't make good head coaches.

I think you mean ginger clapping eunuchs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Every year with a young Ezekiel Elliot is precious

And with the oline. And with a QB who costs nothing and can run. A lot of key guys still on their rookie contracts. Next year should have been the year. In 2020, those guys hit free agency and we're going to lose quality when their costs jump.

I was more hopeful about the team for 2019 in preseason this year. The dline looked like a big strength. Turns out, no David Irving, Taco still a dud, Lawrence pretty good but not elite, Gregory ok but not living up to his presumed top 10 skills. And the dline laid an egg in 2 playoff games. LVE, Jaylon, and Byron make up for some of that, but I'd really much rather have dominant play in the front 4 than the back 7. We're not making a run with a dline that plays like ours did in the playoffs. Not even close.

But the oline is really looking good for next year. Fredbeard back. Tyron was injured this year, but it didn't seem like the back was the issue. Maybe he's turned the corner on the back. Tons of good depth in the interior, and next year we've got a beefed up Williams. That's an oline to make a run with.

We could do a hell of a lot with the offense next year if we let Dak be Dak.