Recommended First cuts are out. Cowboys waive 5

Carson

Reaction score
So our free agent signings

Dante Fowler
James Washington
Ryan Nall [Released]
Anthony Barr [PUP]

Nall is gone, Washington may not make the 53. Knocked it out of the park.

Fowler looks good and Barr is an excellent player. So they likely nailed those two.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
But Nalls was one of Little Enos’ big free agent signings!

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Guess we will be going without a fullback. McGovern better get his jumbo ready.
il_fullxfull.3504677130_ieit.jpg

Jarntt

Reaction score
Cowboys dedicating to the run this year. Now let's cut that FB...

I know he is hurt but I thought he was supposed to be back before week 1. Plus he plays STs well I thought. I suspect we bring in another FB even if just to cut them again later or resign Nall once healthy. Our TEs can't block well enough to play FB or even HB and McGovern can only be used on certain plays due to his lack of mobility. With all the crap on this team this was the solution? Had to be because of injury

Carson

Reaction score
Cowboys dedicating to the run this year. Now let's cut that FB...

I know he is hurt but I thought he was supposed to be back before week 1. Plus he plays STs well I thought. I suspect we bring in another FB even if just to cut them again later or resign Nall once healthy. Our TEs can't block well enough to play FB or even HB and McGovern can only be used on certain plays due to his lack of mobility. With all the crap on this team this was the solution? Had to be because of injury
In my uneducated opinion, it means they go heavy at TE.
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Sean McKeon
  • Jake Ferguson
  • Jeremy Sprinkle / Jake Hendershot
Hendershot is making a strong case to make the final roster. Ian Bunting is playing well as well. So they go 4 TE and 0 FB as opposed to 3/1.

Or the likely end up keeping an extra RB. Malik Davis or Aaron Shampklin could sneak on to the final roster.

Verdict

Reaction score
I thought we might keep Nall instead of a third running back. He could have served as the emergency RB while handling fullback and special teams duties, but I can't say he would have been a great emergency RB. If the Cowboys want to get the third RB on the field more because Elliott and Pollard will be out there together more then Nall wasn't the back for that.
Cowboys should ideally have a multi purpose RB/WR as the 3rd RB rather than a designated type of RB as the 3rd back.

Even in your third RB becomes your starter due to injury/illlness it would probably only be for one game.

Verdict

Reaction score
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Sean McKeon
  • Jake Ferguson
Hendershot is making a strong case to make the final roster. Ian Bunting is playing well as well. So they go 4 TE and 0 FB as opposed to 3/1
That would make sense, especially if you are not going to use your FB, or use a FB very sparingly.

Carson

Reaction score
That would make sense, especially if you are not going to use your FB, or use a FB very sparingly.
Also, could mean they like Shampklin/Davis.

They keep Zeke, Pollard, Dowdle and Shampklin/Davis make the final roster and the other goes to the practice squad.

They have 5 legit backs right now.

Mr_437

Reaction score
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Sean McKeon
  • Jake Ferguson
Hendershot is making a strong case to make the final roster. Ian Bunting is playing well as well. So they go 4 TE and 0 FB as opposed to 3/1.

Or the likely end up keeping an extra RB. Malik Davis or Aaron Shampklin could sneak on to the final roster.
Bunting just got cut.
I also think their going 4 TEs and possibly 4 RBs, but I think it's more likely 3 RBs with maybe Dowdle losing out to Shampkin.

John813

Reaction score
Clearly preparing a supermax contract to Ralston to make him consider to come back here.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Per Michael Gelkhen @GelkhenNFL:

Cowboys must reduce from 90- to 85-man roster by Tuesday at 3 p.m. CT. They are waive-injuring CB Kyron Brown, FB Ryan Nall, TE Ian Bunting and WR Ty Fryfogle and waiving DL Austin Faoliu, people familiar with decisions said. Players told this morning. Next cut to 80 on Aug. 23.

We will rue the day

Carson

Reaction score
Bunting just got cut.
I also think their going 4 TEs and possibly 4 RBs, but I think it's more likely 3 RBs with maybe Dowdle losing out to Shampkin.
Whoops!! Still my point about Hendershot lol

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Sean McKeon
  • Jake Ferguson

Blah....we don't need both McKeon and Shultz.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can't figure out Fryfogle. He had some tools, but he must have been a tool or something.

That, and Houston flashed in preseason. Looked decent against scrubs for a play or two.

The rest of the cuts sound about right to me.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I've been saying this on several WR threads.

Best for the Cowboys to go without a FB (bye-bye, Nalls) and use a TE like Jake Ferguson or OG Connor McGovern as a FB when needed in order to create an extra 53 man roster spot for KaVontae Turpin on Special Teams so there can be 1 extra spot available to carry 6 more WRs instead of 5 (CeeDee, Gallup, Noah, Tolbert, Fehoko and Vasher).

I suspect Hendershot, if he makes the team, would make a decent option at the H-back/FB/TE spot. He or one of those other guys could play the role. If he could do that and find a role on special teams, you can justify a roster spot for 'ole Hendershot.

• Dalton Schultz
  • Sean McKeon
  • Jake Ferguson

Agree on Hendershot.

Bunting is cut.