Recommended First cuts are out. Cowboys waive 5

Toro9

Reaction score
Why do they even sign guys to play fullback? Just for OTAs?? They never keep em. Last one I remember at all was Keith Smith, who they should've kept imo.

RonWashington

Reaction score
:espn::facepalm:
giphy.gif

:facepalm: :laugh:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Fullback position is basically non-extistent in the 21st century NFL.
Use the roster spot for the OLine.

I think the coaches continue to want a fullback, but to make it, that player has to be able to do multiple tasks. He has to be a core special-teamer, as well as a blocker/runner/receiver who can handle being the third RB adequately. It's hard to find that player.

Carson

Reaction score
I think the coaches continue to want a fullback, but to make it, that player has to be able to do multiple tasks. He has to be a core special-teamer, as well as a blocker/runner/receiver who can handle being the third RB adequately. It's hard to find that player.
Nall also played 577 snaps on special teams in three seasons with the Bears.

Nall fit their bill

gimmesix

Reaction score
Nall also played 577 snaps on special teams in three seasons with the Bears.

Nall fit their bill

I don't think he quite did. He wasn't really a fullback. He was a running back who was big enough to be made into a fullback. Problem is his rushing numbers as a single back aren't very good. So really the only job we know that he excels at is special teams.

Motorola

Reaction score
However - the Cowboys don't fully utilize the SECOND RB adequately.
Pollard's abilities have not been fully utilized for this team's offense since he first arrived three years ago.

As I have stated in previous posts - the present-day NFL offenses have made useless players specifically skilled for the "fullback\ H-back" roles.
The opportunies and plays are so few during the season...I think the odds for them to succeed are slim to none.

Carson

Reaction score
I don't think he quite did. He wasn't really a fullback. He was a running back who was big enough to be made into a fullback. Problem is his rushing numbers as a single back aren't very good. So really the only job we know that he excels at is special teams.
Correct. Not many 3rd backs are going to offer much more upside than a guy like Nall or Clement. Nall just happened to have their favorite mantra of position flex lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm not mistaken the waived-injured players will revert to the injured reserve list if no team claims them for 24 hours. Having said that, Nall won't be eligible to come off injured reserve since he will be on the list prior to week one; so I expect all these guys to get cut with a settlement at some point.

I think the Cowboys are keeping Peyton Hendershot as a fourth tight end this year so they already made room by having no fullback.
No, they can return because they were not protected from waivers. The team can give them an injury settlement. If the settlement is based on a projected 5 week injury, then they can return after 5 weeks.

Players put on IR on the cut to 53 day cannot return if the team protects them without counting them against the 53.

If players are on the 53 on cut day, then moved to IR the next day, they are protected but can return after 4 games.

gimmesix

Reaction score
However - the Cowboys don't fully utilize the SECOND RB adequately.
Pollard's abilities have not been fully utilized for this team's offense since he first arrived three years ago.

As I have stated in previous posts - the present-day NFL offenses have made useless players specifically skilled for the "fullback\ H-back" roles.
The opportunies and plays are so few during the season...I think the odds for them to succeed are slim to none.

I won't argue with that. Hopefully, this year, we see them utilize Pollard better. I think the receiver situation is going to force it.

dogberry

Reaction score
Is an injury settlement half pay? Does medical care continue till recovery?