Twitter: First player to speak on Zeke

superonyx

Reaction score
Thats fair. The difference though, I never had the impression we were going to re sign Demarco. Jerry has said all along Zeke is going to get paid.

That said, words and actions are two different things. Had Zeke waited one more year Id be on his side. This only bothers me because off the field he continues to put in self in bad situations. That and having two years left under contract. Ultimately I think we re sign him.
I agree that we will resign him.
I would also imagine that Zeke knows in 2 years they will come to him saying, "well Zeke we don't pay you for what you did, we pay you for what you will do and studies show RB's decline after carrying the ball as much as you have" and "well Zeke we just had to pay Dak and Cooper huge deals so we can't spend as much on a rb as you are asking".

If the team wants Zeke for 4 or 5 more years this is the time to sign him. A 5 year deal is only a 3 year extension. Most would agree that this window of prime RB days will carry us through the next 4-5 years. Waiting until 2 years from now and giving him a 5 year deal is more risky.

The timing also gives Zeke more leverage because we have to wait an entire offseason now to replace him or draft another 1st rd RB.

Reactions: CWR

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nothing is bigger than the Cowboys...

Zeke is doing nothing but hurting the team and the fans.

He’s a selfish POS, and I hope he does get run into the ground with nothing to show for it...
I hope you get laid off with no severance and can't find work again.

That's what you just said lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He does which is why he's holding out. He's doing it for those after him just like LEveon Bell before him. Something has to change.

nothing is going to change.
rb is a position that has been losing cache and if anything will become even less coveted.
kickers and punters aren't suddenly getting QB rich either.

Zeke is special and will get paid but flexing 2 years out on a contract isnt going to help him in any meaningful way.

he has no leverage. DAL doesn't want him taking any abuse or wear and tear anyway.
him being out just makes it more clear it's Dak's team and the focus shifts to the passing game for TC and pre-season.

we saw how well the leveon bell hold out worked.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya pushing security guards down..shows leadership..Zeke is a great player but even his own father didnt trust him..why he moved to Ohio State to watch bbn over Zeke

Actually he probably moved there so it was easier to get to go watch his son play.
And the security guard took a flop.

Just offering a different opinion and viewpoint.

kskboys

Reaction score
What I'd really like is to see EZ sign a contract w/ less money, but more guaranteed. That would put a bunch more in his pocket, as these players are never seeing the last couple or so years of their contracts anyway.

Reaction score
Well, I can agree with that. Except the people behind him will benefit. Depends on what you are saying. No one will benefit from him holding out. And unless he gets some monster deal it won't help anyone.

If Zeke signed tomorrow for Gurley money or even a bit north, It won't help Gordon sign any quicker and for any more money. RB isn't like other positions where lesser players set market over better players.

As a 45 yr old man that loves defensive games and the run game, I hate that it's going in the direction it's going but rbs just aren't as important as they once were. And it's not going to get any better. Go to a local pee wee game, jr high game and even more a high school game. It's a passing game now. I live in a small east Texas town so in our district we actually still have running teams. We have one that runs the old wing T and triple option. It's great to watch and hard to stop because teams don't see it much. Being a small school you don't have a lot of kids in the program so you don't always have the athlete's to run the new style offenses. But once you get up to 5A and 6A, and even 4A, it's mostly all spread, no huddle.
I only have a slight disagreement with this. The running back position is not becoming less important. It is evolving. Gone are the Adrian Peterson days where you just hand him the ball, but he can't catch.

RB's today have to catch the ball out of the backfield. Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamara are still very important RB's today because they are also great receivers. Zeke is in this group too.

I would like to see Zeke get less carries but 90-100 receptions a year. I think he got 77 catches last year, so he is getting there. McCaffrey was over 100 catches last year. This is where the RB position is headed. Luckily Zeke has that skillset. So I'm not opposed to him getting paid. But it has to be within a team structure given we have a QB, a WR, a CB and a bunch of o-lineman getting or are about to get top dollars.

kskboys

Reaction score
I only have a slight disagreement with this. The running back position is not becoming less important. It is evolving. Gone are the Adrian Peterson days where you just hand him the ball, but he can't catch.

RB's today have to catch the ball out of the backfield. Christian McCaffrey and Alvin Kamara are still very important RB's today because they are also great receivers. Zeke is in this group too.

I would like to see Zeke get less carries but 90-100 receptions a year. I think he got 77 catches last year, so he is getting there. McCaffrey was over 100 catches last year. This is where the RB position is headed. Luckily Zeke has that skillset. So I'm not opposed to him getting paid. But it has to be within a team structure given we have a QB, a WR, a CB and a bunch of o-lineman getting or are about to get top dollars.
Nicely done.

I'd like to see him renegotiate for around 5 yrs/50 mil. That makes him very rich, and we get a great RB.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ezekiel Elliott is a beast of a running back. I think you could be the best in the league. But right now the best running back all around in the league is Shaquan Barkley of the New York Giants. If only Elliott could stay focused. He's more interested in eating. LOL I don't know what his problem is but he's not 100%

Tussinman

Reaction score
Zeke has no leverage. Players for the most part hold out for two reasons

1. There playing way under market value
and
2. They have no future protection money wise (usually goes hand in hand with #1).

Problem with Zeke is

1. Despite his deal being 3 years old he's still top 3 for his position in both fully guranteed and total guranteed money
and
2. Next year is already protected for injury. He gets a career ending injury this year he will of made almost 35 million dollars and only had to play 2 full NFL seasons........

Love Zeke and want him to stay but he literally has Zero leverage for a holdout.

Reactions: CWR

basel90

Reaction score
If Zeke holds out , he proves what is feared all along , that he is a selfish player who turned his back on a team owner who stood By him through his negligence, childish , reckless and legal issues . Heck , Jerry confronted the commissioner for zeke . Zeke better get on with camp and start showing gratitude for a team that stood by him .
And for those who glorify Zeke, please note has not won anything big for the cowboys yet . He has had subpar games as well , so he is a good Rb behind the best OL in the NFL . Many Good RBs would post similar yardage .

CooterBrown

Reaction score
It only becomes an issue if the "holdout" lasts into the regular season. Zeke doesn't need pre-season. He may not play in any of the pre-season games even if he is there. Much ado about nothing at this time.

On another note, these rookie contracts are something that should be negotiated between the NFL and the players union. As it is now, rookies are "slotted" on salaries according to their draft position. There should be some mechanism in the contract for salary correction based on performance after two years in the league. That could benefit both sides: i.e. Zeke, and Taco.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So I guess every father who works hard to provide a college education for his kids is not a real father unless he goes to school with them ?
Is that what I said? What I’m saying is he saw that his son could potentially have some problems out there and he went out there with his son. That’s what a real father does. Let’s not try to make it a negative that he did that for his son.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What has to change is Zeke needs to grow up and learn to be a man. $25 million is enough incentive to go to work.

• 2019 Salary Cap Charge: $7,940,653
  • % of 2019 Team Cap: 3.96%
  • 2019 Cash Payout: $3,853,137
  • % of 2019 Team Cash Spending: 2.08%
  • 2019 Cash to Cap Ratio: 0.49
  • Total Contract Value: $24,956,338
  • Annual Contract Value: $6,239,085
  • Position Ranking: 10/196 at RB
  • Fully Guaranteed Money: $24,956,338
He deserves more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Huh?

Both my daughters moved 2,000 miles away in their early 20's. I never felt the need to follow them and "keep them in check". I worried about them each day and still do, even though both are established and professionals.

That's what a real father does? What a silly statement. A real father teaches their children right from wrong, is there when they need a shoulder to cry on or a big hug for something they accomplished, to let them know how loved they are everyday, to show respect, politeness, manners, etc. I could go on and on. If Zeke;s father felt the need to follow his son and live with him that's cool. But to say that makes him a real father? Far from it..
That’s stupid to assume he didn’t teach his child right from wrong. If you don’t feel like your child can handle living non his own then yeah a real father makes sure his son is on the right path. That’s a real father. Quit comparing him as a father to what you did. That doesn’t mean you weren’t a good father but your daughters ain’t Zeke. Different circumstances.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
nothing is going to change.
rb is a position that has been losing cache and if anything will become even less coveted.
kickers and punters aren't suddenly getting QB rich either.

Zeke is special and will get paid but flexing 2 years out on a contract isnt going to help him in any meaningful way.

he has no leverage. DAL doesn't want him taking any abuse or wear and tear anyway.
him being out just makes it more clear it's Dak's team and the focus shifts to the passing game for TC and pre-season.

we saw how well the leveon bell hold out worked.
Well when fighting for change you can’t go I’m defeated saying nothing will change. That’s not how it works.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It is amazing to me that some people think Zeke should give a crap about his teammates. Seriously. In your profession, would you voluntarily put yourself in a bad position, and elect to be underpaid, because it might help the people you work with?

Hell no. The reason we work is to make money for ourselves and establish or maintain financial security for ourselves. Just cause Zeke plays a sport, doesn't mean his job isn't a job. Like any of us, he is absolutely right to demand what he's worth--it's his future, his family, his life on the line.

Right? Capitalism is great until someone you try to look down on makes way more than you do. Then it's "too much" and the begrudging starts. Very convenient that owners are like Teflon Dons. No one begrudges them. Funny.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well when fighting for change you can’t go I’m defeated saying nothing will change. That’s not how it works.
lol... my man you are taking this way too seriously and tilting at windmills.
zeke is trying to get paid for himself... this isn't some grand mission that effects anyone else.

read the sturm piece in the the athletic.
RBs aren't about get paid big money.

zeke is already paid as the 5th highest RB(this year's cap hit) in football before the extension.
he is not the guy to feel sorry for nor the one to make change happen for the position.
he is a great player who will make even greater money than he already is.

he can miss all camp and all pre-season and it's no big deal.
if he wants to go to mattresses over a new deal he is the one with the most to lose.
every RB in football wants to run behind this DAL OL.
the joneses have zero reason to flinch here.