Twitter: Fischer DC update

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I will add..no cronyism.

Mike likes to hire his buddies.

we want coaches who are elite and proven winners.
I agree there too. It would be different if he had some good buddies but damn his list of friendships.......yeah lol. Probably telling the best coach on his staff wasn't a buddy it was someone who was here before him in Kellen Moore lol.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why can’t we bring in someone the NFL hasn’t seen before? Why the retreads? Enough with giving these coaches from the past chances. Be proactive for once.

I wouldn’t mind hiring a DC from the college ranks. Or go after Spags or Martindale. Those are the only 2 people in the NFL I’d want.

ESisback

Reaction score
I want someone with a more recent history of coordinating/coaching high-performing defenses.

I want someone who isn't just happy to be employed and will let Jerry tamper with the accountability that the coach must have over the defensive players.

I want someone who calls an aggressive defense, and not a reactionary one.

I want someone who isn't just necessarily friends with Mike McCarthy. I don't need comfortable or obligated guys.

I'd call Brent Venables first. If he isn't interested in making the jump to the NFL, I'm hiring Gus Bradley.

If Seattle outbids me for Bradley, my aim would be Jim Leonhard and Orlondo Steinauer. If I can't get tough and proven, give me innovative and hungry.

Thanks. I appreciate the names, although I’m not very familiar with Venables. Time to read up!

lwehlers

Reaction score
i am not thrilled about any of those guys but i would go with quinn. i know his defenses in atlanta were not great but his seahawks defenses were really productive. lewis is a marinelli clone the nfl has passed him by.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
McCarthy hires Winn, The Cowboys D continues to under perform and miss the playoffs, Jerry fires everyone.

Seth5545

Reaction score
Out of this list of DC's, it's Marvin Lewis and it's not close:

-I don't care if he hasn't been a DC in years, ever stop was a successful one. It's not like he's been sitting home, he's been apart of the game.
-Many forget that the Bengals don't have a scouting department, it was Lewis picking the players. He built that defense from the ground up.
-He has experience in coaching all schemes.
-Say what you want about the Bengals, playoff failures. Carson Palmer would of won several if the Steelers didn't take that dirty low hit on his knee.

-Quinn/Whitt both just got fired cause Atlanta's Defense was as bad as the Cowboys. It makes zero sense to hire either one of them. Yes, Quinn has a Super Bowl ring, but he never built that defense, he took over when the defense was already built for success.

-George Edwards worked under Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer. His main responsibility was helping with the game plan, not making the defensive in game calls. He was here last year and was apart of the problem as the linebacker unit was among the least productive on the entire team.

Is that odd for a team? I always thought every team had a scouting department.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Anyone of these mentions will get us another seat at the BOTTOM FEEDER'S table when the 2022 NFL Draft rolls around.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Aren't there any good DC's, in the college ranks? Why keep going through retreads?
Its not just a Cowboys thing, this is very prevalent throughout the NFL. I am just guessing here, but the failure rate amongst first time college coaches becoming NFL coaches is so much higher than the failure rate of retreads that they keep going with the retreads.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Louis Edwards or Patricia all work for me. I'm not going to pick a favorite because they all have pros and cons even if more pros in my opinion.

Lewis has the most experience and success as defensive coordinator but he is a 3-4 guy. In order to get him I imagine that the Cowboys brass would have to promise to completely revamp the personnel.

Edwards has quite a bit of success at the defensive coordinator position and is a 4-3 guy from Minnesota. He would be able to build on what we had and reports are that Nolan and he did not see eye to eye but he was still part of that train wreck this past season.

Patricia again has a lot of success as a defensive coordinator. He's a disciple of Bill belichick and Shirley knows the multiple fronts scheme which is a plus. The minuses is that he is a Bill belichick disciple. Those guys never seem to work out when they leave New England.

The other guys are non-starters for me Quinn and whitt are retread scrubs to use the vernacular of this place.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What a big bag of nothing.

Whitt - never been a coordinator, Secondary coach for 3 different and really bad teams the last 3 years.
Quinn - Another Garrett. Likeable guy who can't coach.
Marvin Lewis - 0-7 playoff record with Bengals. He was the DC for the Super Bowl winning Ravens 20 years ago. This is Kiffin & Marinelli all over again.
George Edwards - They "respect Zimmer" and they promote the guy Zimmer just fired? makes no sense.

Stop hiring guys who can't get it done.

Every chance this franchise has to get better they mess it up. Go get better.
they have not hired ANYONE YET..save the whinefest for after..smh:facepalm:

Majic

Reaction score
Edwards ran a 3-4 in Buffalo. Would MM accept him as the DC with the promise to carry on the hybrid looks?

blueblood70

Reaction score
it sates right in the interview MM will not have 100% power to hire anyone, they will have group in the interviews and this wont be just MM hire..