Twitter: Fischer DC update

ESisback

Reaction score
Wow, I'm actually kind of shocked about this one.
I know Clemson had a pretty good defense, but did some of that have to do with a pretty good offense? The schedule as well. Got an opinion on Venables? Who do you like?

conner01

Reaction score
What a big bag of nothing.

Whitt - never been a coordinator, Secondary coach for 3 different and really bad teams the last 3 years.
Quinn - Another Garrett. Likeable guy who can't coach.
Marvin Lewis - 0-7 playoff record with Bengals. He was the DC for the Super Bowl winning Ravens 20 years ago. This is Kiffin & Marinelli all over again.
George Edwards - They "respect Zimmer" and they promote the guy Zimmer just fired? makes no sense.

Stop hiring guys who can't get it done.

Every chance this franchise has to get better they mess it up. Go get better.
And your options?

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Whoever it is has to start with basic tackling fundamentals and then build toughness. The Dallas front seven had their share of being out of position or blocked well but there were many times where the Dallas defender was at the right place at the right time and could not make the stop; they were pushed or carried for another 2-4 yards. Sometimes several players getting pushed around.

Another fundamental missing was just not being cognizant of where the first down marker was to make the stop beforehand.

I think I like Patricia for the role taking into account getting both fundamentals and trying to ensure smart football.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Just stop giving your friends and family jobs on our team.

Please hire the best candidate that gives us a chance to win.

Diagnostic nepotism is certainly bad. On the other hand these guys have to work together 6-7 days a week 10-12 hours a day. the working relationship between the coaches on the coaching staff is as important as their schematic ability is as important as their ability to relate to the players.

If you know you can get along with somebody that does have meaning it just should not be the only consideration.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I know Clemson had a pretty good defense, but did some of that have to do with a pretty good offense? The schedule as well. Got an opinion on Venables? Who do you like?

Venables is a decent DC option but I don't think he's coming to Dallas. I know Venables from his days at KState and OU. The problem I have with Venables is that I kinda think he's a College Coach and not necessarily an NFL Coach. Some Coaches are like that. Some are made to be in the College Ranks and some in the Pros.

I think you have to look at this thing from the stand point of what you want out of your Defense. Do you want to be a team that wins games with your Defense or are you looking to be a team that scores points and asks it's defense to just come in and make stops at critical times in games? Two very different styles, very different mindsets. I tend to think that we are the later. So what you want in that situation is a Coach who can dial up plays at critical times and get impact, not necessarily guys who want to build a defense that just flat shuts you down. I'd probably look at a guy like Jim Schwartz. He knows the division, he's a guy who knows how to scheme pressure as well as anybody in the league and he's available. As I said earlier, I like Pittsburgh's Keith Butler and Iike Baltimore's Don Martindale. Both are DCs already and they would be tough gets, it's likely that Jerry would have to sweeten the deal by offering the Assistant HC title or something of that nature but if you look at either of these guys, what you see is consistency in the product they provide. Look at the last five years or so of Defensive rankings and you will find each of their teams in the top 5 every year. Those guys understand how to run a Defense and make them work. If you want to look at a College Coach, then Ash, to me is a better fit for the Pro Game. He's one of the top DCs in College Football and I had a chance to watch him work the Defense at Texas this season. They were flat terrible at the first of the year and towards the end of the season, I'd say the Defense carried the the team in maybe the last 5 games. He did a hell of a job in just a single year there with players that were not his guys. That's a good job of coaching, to me.

So those are they guys I might look at if it were up to me.

DAL1180

Reaction score
Wow, I'm actually kind of shocked about this one.
No thanks to Venables. Both LSU and Ohio State are still scoring at will against his defenses. And other than the NFC East there aren't enough ACC teams on our schedule for him to excel.

ESisback

Reaction score
Venables is a decent DC option but I don't think he's coming to Dallas. I know Venables from his days at KState and OU. The problem I have with Venables is that I kinda think he's a College Coach and not necessarily an NFL Coach. Some Coaches are like that. Some are made to be in the College Ranks and some in the Pros.

I think you have to look at this thing from the stand point of what you want out of your Defense. Do you want to be a team that wins games with your Defense or are you looking to be a team that scores points and asks it's defense to just come in and make stops at critical times in games? Two very different styles, very different mindsets. I tend to think that we are the later. So what you want in that situation is a Coach who can dial up plays at critical times and get impact, not necessarily guys who want to build a defense that just flat shuts you down. I'd probably look at a guy like Jim Schwartz. He knows the division, he's a guy who knows how to scheme pressure as well as anybody in the league and he's available. As I said earlier, I like Pittsburgh's Keith Butler and Iike Baltimore's Don Martindale. Both are DCs already and they would be tough gets, it's likely that Jerry would have to sweeten the deal by offering the Assistant HC title or something of that nature but if you look at either of these guys, what you see is consistency in the product they provide. Look at the last five years or so of Defensive rankings and you will find each of their teams in the top 5 every year. Those guys understand how to run a Defense and make them work. If you want to look at a College Coach, then Ash, to me is a better fit for the Pro Game. He's one of the top DCs in College Football and I had a chance to watch him work the Defense at Texas this season. They were flat terrible at the first of the year and towards the end of the season, I'd say the Defense carried the the team in maybe the last 5 games. He did a hell of a job in just a single year there with players that were not his guys. That's a good job of coaching, to me.

So those are they guys I might look at if it were up to me.

Good analysis! Thanks! I’m not as guru-oriented as you. I’m just a smartassy goofball who likes to watch the games!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Its not just a Cowboys thing, this is very prevalent throughout the NFL. I am just guessing here, but the failure rate amongst first time college coaches becoming NFL coaches is so much higher than the failure rate of retreads that they keep going with the retreads.

I can understand HC, but this is a position coach.

quickccc

Reaction score
Out of this list of DC's, it's Marvin Lewis and it's not close:

-I don't care if he hasn't been a DC in years, ever stop was a successful one. It's not like he's been sitting home, he's been apart of the game.
-Many forget that the Bengals don't have a scouting department, it was Lewis picking the players. He built that defense from the ground up.
-He has experience in coaching all schemes.
-Say what you want about the Bengals, playoff failures. Carson Palmer would of won several if the Steelers didn't take that dirty low hit on his knee.

-Quinn/Whitt both just got fired cause Atlanta's Defense was as bad as the Cowboys. It makes zero sense to hire either one of them. Yes, Quinn has a Super Bowl ring, but he never built that defense, he took over when the defense was already built for success.

-George Edwards worked under Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer. His main responsibility was helping with the game plan, not making the defensive in game calls. He was here last year and was apart of the problem as the linebacker unit was among the least productive on the entire team.

- With Cincy you're talking Lewis as a HC,..not a DC.
And he suffered many years in that area until he found Mike Zimmer who built the defense back to respectability.

- Quinn HC stint crumbled since the SB appearance and a lot had to do with ATL building up big leads and then opposing teams come back to win.
but i'm not interested in Quinn as a HC, ..but as a DC.

- With Edwards you have to ask how much was he involved with the game plan with the LBs, and having to buy into Nolan's instructions in the scheme.
My question goes back to Edwards in full control of the defense ala Wash- Buff and he faired and didnt fair well - even if he's operated in 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. And i've seen some 5-2 fronts in Vikes land. So he's been an experience at different looks in DL but again how will he fair in a defefnse
he has full control over ..as Vikes defense was really Zimmer's ....

Daillest88

Reaction score
And he suffered many years in that area until he found Mike Zimmer who built the defense back to respectability.

- Quinn HC stint crumbled since the SB appearance and a lot had to do with ATL building up big leads and then opposing teams come back to win.

- With Edwards you have to ask how much was he involved with the game plan with the LBs, and having to buy into Nolan's instructions in the scheme.
My question goes back to Edwards in full control of the defense ala Wash- Buff and he faired and didnt fair well - even if he's operated in 4-3 and 3-4 schemes. And i've seen some 5-2 fronts in Vikes land. So he's been an experience at different looks in DL but again how will he fair in a defefnse
Thank you!!

I want Quinn as DC not head coach. Some head coaches are just way better as coordinators. We would be much better in his scheme

quickccc

Reaction score
What a big bag of nothing.

Whitt - never been a coordinator, Secondary coach for 3 different and really bad teams the last 3 years.
Quinn - Another Garrett. Likeable guy who can't coach.
Marvin Lewis - 0-7 playoff record with Bengals. He was the DC for the Super Bowl winning Ravens 20 years ago. This is Kiffin & Marinelli all over again.
George Edwards - They "respect Zimmer" and they promote the guy Zimmer just fired? makes no sense.

Stop hiring guys who can't get it done.

Every chance this franchise has to get better they mess it up. Go get better.

- i totatlly agree with team's puzzling interest in Whiit- that's another Nolan crisis coming ..and that's clearly about buddy system and not qualifications
who else is knocking on the door to hire Whitt around the NFL ?

- With Quinn, are you basing him on his Falcons HC stint .. or Seahawk DC ? Because his SB defense with Seahawks
was tops vs points, yards and No.1 in takeaways.

- with Marvin Lewis and his 0-7 playoff record, i'm not interested in Lewis as a HC, but DC,.. but 20 years away from NFL level is a concern to me,
and it's puzzling that he is not the sole DC at Arizona state but a Co- DC ?

- Coincidentally the vibes i'm getting from reading the latest on Marvin is teams are interest in hiring him as an HC

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
My two initial question for any DC interview:
1) What's your defensive philosophy?

2) Scenario....It's 3rd and 1, critical moment in the game. After tackling a guy 4 yards past the 1st down marker, Jaylon Smith celebrates the tackle. What do you do?

Unfortunately, here are the actual two questions this Front Office is asking:

1) Jaylon Smith was 2nd in the league in tackles. How goooood is Jaylon?

2) How long have you known Mike?

Cowboyny

Reaction score

-Marvin Lewis may not of been the DC, but he was the GM picking the players. I hear he could be in line for the Lions HC job and most likely won't take anything less then a HC Position. I think we can cross his name off the list.

-Quinn had several years with Atlanta to make his imprint on their defense, as their offense was pretty set when he arrived. The Defense never became much of anything during his year's with the franchise. The same could be said about Matt Patrcia, both Defensive HC's didn't really improve their defensive units under their watch.

-Edwards still remains the most likely candidate, due to him already being on the staff and the firmiliarity with the Jones family. I think he will get a good reference from Zimmer, but not sure MM wants to risk his job on a coach who may have a different vision.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Thank you!!

I want Quinn as DC not head coach. Some head coaches are just way better as coordinators. We would be much better in his scheme
His defenses have been terrible the last 3 years in Atlanta. As in bottom 7 in opponent passer rating. And the year before that he was 19th. He lived off a rarity in 4 great secondary players like Richard did.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-average-team-passer-rating

Head coach or DC, you don’t get a pass for being that bad 4 years in a row. Matt Nagy is thought to be a good offensive mind, but does he get a pass for Chicago being so terrible on offense since he’s been there?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have heard there are some defensive coaches cowboys will be talking with as teams are eliminated from post season.