Fish 247: What does Cowboy trade pursuit of Quinn have to do with Tank?

blueblood70

Reaction score
With our FO it's all about the $$$....talent be damned.
sure we suk so hard being top 6 in wins the last 10yrs they sure like to just play bad players with bad coaching and somehow win 3 of the last 5 divisions.. bad talent huh..outsiders say otherwise that young draft picks and frugal FA has been very good to date.. how can we have such suk players and coaches a senile GM and greedy owners and somehow have a very good winning record? right here comes the BUT we havent been to a SB since 1996 but that doesnt ]mean we dont have talent..

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you trade for and extended Quinn, that pretty slams the door shut on Charlton being a starter during his rookie contract.

In that case, do you shop Charlton for a mid round pick or a player on a rookie scale mid round contract? Do you want to pay a first round salary to a sub?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Also, Taco is coming off surgery. People tend to forget that.

If Taco is penciled in as your starter and can’t go? You’re forced to start Armstrong
what surgery? brain? I dont think he was hurt..tank needs surgery

Verdict

Reaction score
chance favors the prepared mind. a plan "b" is definitely needed here. tank will be a tough signing. we've been trying to get the deal done for 2 years.

Yeah, but some people on this board are revising history and saying that we didn't actually try to sign Tank. That's obviously revisionist history.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They have some of the dumbest SOB's writing for them... literally elementary school level writing. Patrik Walker being one of the worst offenders.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
They had one staring them in the face in TJ Watt and the idiots passed. And now, here we are...
:banghead:
Agreed, bro. They did the same thing passing up on JJ Watt many years ago as well. I like Tyron Smith, but JJ Watt was a once in a generation player. I guess they don't like Watts?

Last edited:

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Haven’t read the thread, but off the title just mean that’s if we land him with Hyder and Quinn we’d have better rotational backups then we did last year.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Think it's more about the bust that is Taco. Even if we keep Tank, he ain't doing it by himself. He only did it for 8 games last season, anyway.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They have some of the dumbest SOB's writing for them... literally elementary school level writing. Patrik Walker being one of the worst offenders.
Fish isnt much better. Especially for a guy who (according to him) was a journalism professor.

Maybe you have to pay $9.99 for grammer too

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hear that younger Watt brother was alright...

And before someone hits me with the hindsight is 20/20, there were a bunch of people in the draftzone wanting him.

A few in the Draft Room at the Mother Ship as well.

sbark

Reaction score
Just me, I see a Quinn trade as protection

***if they can't reach long-deal with Tank
*** how Tank deals with the shoulder issue
*** Possible pre-draft trade offer too good to pass
Yup, they don't want to be held hostage by d.law either
Chess

Carson

Reaction score
what surgery? brain? I dont think he was hurt..tank needs surgery

Shoulder

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...y-for-injury-that-ailed-him-during-the-season

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/co...s-cowboys-taco-charlton-shoulder-surgery/amp/

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If you trade for and extended Quinn, that pretty slams the door shut on Charlton being a starter during his rookie contract.

In that case, do you shop Charlton for a mid round pick or a player on a rookie scale mid round contract? Do you want to pay a first round salary to a sub?
A change of scenery might be what he needs.......the problem mainly is a FO that has a terrible history of making trades that we very seldom come out on top.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think I remember reading the scouts wanted Watt and Marinelli wanted Taco, but I could be wrong. I tried to forget about it lol

We were having this discussion earlier. Scouts and position coaches, I believe, were on board for Watt while Garrett and perhaps Marinelli (I am not sure exactly) were looking DE and Taco. I don't blame you for trying to forget, BTW.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
the Quinn trade - if it happens, would provide a cover for Gregory. If DLaw does not get a contract till the deadline in July - and then has to have surgery, he's out for the next 2-3 months. Move Taco over to DLaw's spot on the left side, Quinn starts on the right with Armstrong and Hyder as main backups.
This is Tacos last chance, he's cleaned up the shoulder, he knows what is thought of him, at least in the media. He will have a chance to start at either left or right DE - depending how DLaw's contract goes. IF. I say IF we get DLaw in early we would have good depth both sides. If not, with Quinn in house we would at least be covered for awhile.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
the Quinn trade - if it happens, would provide a cover for Gregory. If DLaw does not get a contract till the deadline in July - and then has to have surgery, he's out for the next 2-3 months. Move Taco over to DLaw's spot on the left side, Quinn starts on the right with Armstrong and Hyder as main backups.
This is Tacos last chance, he's cleaned up the shoulder, he knows what is thought of him, at least in the media. He will have a chance to start at either left or right DE - depending how DLaw's contract goes. IF. I say IF we get DLaw in early we would have good depth both sides. If not, with Quinn in house we would at least be covered for awhile.

No, yeah, you don't move Quinn to the other side. He would get ate up IMO. He's a RDE. If DLaw is not around, we will either have to go with what we have or go get somebody else IMO.

I agree.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We were having this discussion earlier. Scouts and position coaches, I believe, were on board for Watt while Garrett and perhaps Marinelli (I am not sure exactly) were looking DE and Taco. I don't blame you for trying to forget, BTW.
The claim was on Watt is that all his tape was as a standup rusher. That they had no tape with his hand on the ground. That scouts thought he could do it but they didn't have the tape. Marinell was supposedly concerned about it. Then Garrett was quoted as the deciding factor with, "I want the warrior" which doesn't really sound like Taco in the first place other than he's a big guy but it is what he was sold on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The claim was on Watt is that all his tape was as a standup rusher. That they had no tape with his hand on the ground. That scouts thought he could do it but they didn't have the tape. Marinell was supposedly concerned about it. Then Garrett was quoted as the deciding factor with, "I want the warrior" which doesn't really sound like Taco in the first place other than he's a big guy but it is what he was sold on.

I thought that it was Garrett as well but I could not find any info from that. Doesn't really matter, I thought it was stupid then and looking back, it looks even more stupid now.