Fish: Byron Jones likely gets squeezed out

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm not even convinced we are keeping Dlaw,much less Byron. Those 2 are not a given by any stretch. The only to locks are Dak and Amari,PERIOD.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We actually can pay all our own dudes. I know, it's hard to imagine. First time in a while we can say that, but we can do it and we don't need any fancing cap accounting structures either.

We could pay Dak, Amari, DLaw, and Byron $30million/year and still be under the cap in 2020. Haha.

Because, Byron's deal wouldn't hit the cap until next year.

Just for example, if we paid (in 2020)

Dak: 30mill
DLaw: 25mill
Amari: 20mill
Byron: 20 mill

We'd still be about $30mill under in 2020 with no other cuts, releases, etc.

Byron won't get more than $15mill a year, so it's a no brainer really. I'm not sure what this "squeezing" is all about.

I see what you saying but there's still Zeke and Jaylon Smith. I can see them spending to retain top player from the front 7 and recycle the secondary with draft picks and/or free agents unless they hit on a truly shut-down CB. I mean a Deion clone that will take out other teams best receiver AND good for X number of interceptions. Remember this FO been preaching turnovers since Rob Ryan days.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Imagine thinking Byron Jones (a freakin cornerback that doesnt get ints) is more important to this team than Ezekiel Elliott
that's why I think we let him walk. In my humble opinion, I like Jourdain Lewis' coverage better and he seems to get to the ball and makes timely int's in limited action. Lets allow him a chance to start. HE CAN BE VERY GOOD.

Rayman70

Reaction score
125 million cap space in 2020...sure we can. And add more
NOT happening my friend. Its delusional to think each and every guy we have with expiring deals will be retained. We just won't,shouldn't, can't do it. You will see. I rather use some of that cap on better players not named Byron Jones.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I agree.....probably out of our price range. Don't be surprised to see CB with one of our top 3 picks.

Im not one bit angry about this. He;s nothing special. He provides zero in turnovers and getting off the field on third downs. If he can get turnovers in 2019 pay the guy but if he plays the same way he did in 2019 he;s a 6-8mil range CB. Let somebody else pay that 14mil. He plays ok, but has anybody ever seen him make a big play? Ive just seen him give up big plays in big moments. The biggest was the catch to cook.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
NOT happening my friend. Its delusional to think each and every guy we have with expiring deals will be retained. We just won't,shouldn't, can't do it. You will see. I rather use some of that cap on better players not named Byron Jones.

It not happening and say that we can’t do it are two different things.

Financially we most certainly can.
Will we, most likely not.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Squeezed out? There is no squeezing. The cap is fine with Byron's money.

And if we let a true #1 go, who's an ironman and 99% percentile athlete at the position while never missing games, for $14million, we'd be stupid. Really stupid.
We may be fine under the cap short term, but are longer term? After all, the signings don’t stop after that, and the longer term implications of signings have to be considered.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
We can’t make everyone the top paid player at their position.

I hope we spend money on building an elite defense but I’m afraid we are going to overpay at QB and WR.