Fish: Byron Jones likely gets squeezed out

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Dak, Cooper, M Collins, Jaylon, Brown, Jones, Heath, L Collins, and Lee are the top free agents next year. They have 124 million in cap space in 2020, but presuming they sign Lawrence, Dak and Cooper it'll likely be closer to 70 million. Plus you have Zeke too that may want a new contract at that time.

It will be be near impossible to retain all of the rest, but they'll likely prioritize Jaylon if he continues his play in 2019. They'll likely be choosing between Jones and Brown at corner. I expect L Collins to command too much money for his level of play and is someone we don't end up retaining. Heath could be the new Bill Bates and comes back on a team friendly deal that few can hate on as a 3rd safety. M. Collins will be interesting. I believe he's underrated and could be a breakout player this year. If that happens he's another guy aside from Jones or Brown the Cowboys lose.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn’t win with the above 4 in 2018, what makes everyone think that we will win with those 4 in 2019, Bigger contracts will make them more clutch?
So, your belief is signing these players means the team prevents the team from draft players that can help and it prohibits any other change or addition that could help ... and you also believe the team would be more competitive if it let the best players go and kept all the second and third tier players that were also on the team in 2018?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This front office needs to figure it out coz two types teams generally have cap problems.......

*****teams that don't draft well but take high risk with free agents
*****teams that draft well but struggle to fit all their ascending payers under the cap

Like I said in another thread, I can't remember the last ( if ever) the FO was faced with this many originally drafted elite/blue chipper players up for 2nd contracts over next 2-3 years. You can make a case of us have at least one at every position. OL already taken care Martin, QB=Dak, RB=Zeke, WR=Coop ( not originally drafted ), DL=DLaw, LB = Jaylon Smith, Secondary = B Jones.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I see what you saying but there's still Zeke and Jaylon Smith. I can see them spending to retain top player from the front 7 and recycle the secondary with draft picks and/or free agents unless they hit on a truly shut-down CB. I mean a Deion clone that will take out other teams best receiver AND good for X number of interceptions. Remember this FO been preaching turnovers since Rob Ryan days.

Jaylon Smith should be a RFA in 2020. If we re-sign Zeke, his new deal would actually give us more space in 2020, otherwise he'll be under his 5th year option which would be fine.

So, the cap is good. This isn't one of those "oh we can do restructures like this, and then do that" cap situations.

We don't have to do a damn thing and the cap will be completely fine. Re-signing Dak, DLaw, Amari, Zeke, Byron, and we'd fine in 2021 too.

Pass defense is critical. You have more secondary on the field than DL the majority of the time. The Patriots always go pay a top CB in FA, even with the amount of picks they spend on secondary.

If there's an upgrade available or some guy comes out of nowhere for us, by all means don't re-sign him. Otherwise, the "money" argument isn't just weak, it's wrong.

RS12

Reaction score
Another guy I dont wanna pay. Regardless if the D Line doesnt get straightened out, the back end wont matter.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let’s see him do it another full season.

Frozen700

Reaction score
You don't throw that type of money at a corner, unless he's a true game changer. Like Ramsey

Byron was good, but I don't think he's worth what he will command. He still seems shaky to me

Mr_437

Reaction score
We'll see... don't put much into Fish reporting before the fact. Trust him more with Mavs scoops.

This would be the time to trade BJ up to the draft, but it's not much to talk about either way.

rags747

Reaction score
So, your belief is signing these players means the team prevents the team from draft players that can help and it prohibits any other change or addition that could help ... and you also believe the team would be more competitive if it let the best players go and kept all the second and third tier players that were also on the team in 2018?
My belief is that I do not see the Patriots paying out these huge contracts and they continue to be fine.
We plan to pay Dak close to $30m from all reports, is he really that dynamic a player to pay that type of money to, that’s a hell of a lot more than Brady who has how many SB rings now? Same thing with Lawrence, the Patriots paying anyone along the lines of what Lawrence’s contract will end up being?