Fish: Byron Jones likely gets squeezed out

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't get this line of thought.

He's universally viewed as one of the best in the league at his position and in a passing league he does an incredible job at stopping the other teams go to guy when they are lined up on him.

Jaylon Ramsey had 3 picks last year.. So being elite without the 3 picks is still a great thing.
Universally? Just curious, where'd you get that info?

erod

Reaction score
He should be at the bottom of the list. Late in the year, Awuzie was the corner making plays. Not him.
Awuzie got better and better as the season went along. He's going to be a star.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Would NOT give him elite corner money. Let him walk after this year and sign big elsewhere. Take the comp pick and be happy.

erod

Reaction score
Lol I'll bite, you're saying you think Awuzie was better than Byron last year?
Yes, at the end he absolutely was.

Awuzie can flat cover, but early he wasn't making the play on the ball. As the season went along, he was just getting better and better.

Watch this year. He might be the best player on the defense.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yes, at the end he absolutely was.

Awuzie can flat cover, but early he wasn't making the play on the ball. As the season went along, he was just getting better and better.

Watch this year. He might be the best player on the defense.
I didnt ask if he was better for the last two games of the regular season, I said for the year.

Byron can flat out cover, so what's your point?

And it's funny you bring up the Rams and Seahawks games for Byron every chance you get, yet Chido allowed more receptions and yards than Byron in the Rams game. Kinda weird.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Awuzie got better and better as the season went along. He's going to be a star.
no argument that he improved. which you would expect from a player in his second season. I think he is an adequate corner at this point. However, I have pondered if he is going to be anything more than a good\adequate corner. If Richard found a longer corner, is there thinking that Awuzie might be candidate for the safety we have been looking for?

Just random musings about roster flexibility.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pro Football Focus ranked Jones the no. 5 cornerback. Awuzie wasn't rated in the top 25.

But the NFL website didn't list Jones in the top 10.

Teamrankings. com put Jones tied for 7th for passes defended, by their computation.

It depends on who you ask, but to me Jones is no worse than a top 10 cornerback. Considering his age, position versatility and stats, I'd not want to let him go unless he prices himself out of reach...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Did you watch the Seattle and LA Rams games? He was easy pickings.

He's not elite.

They all have bad games at that position.

The NFL puts them at a huge disadvantage with all of the rules. A top 5 corner in todays NFL is going to have some bad days. That's just how it is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's the one on my list as well.

Can't pay everybody and I think he's at the bottom.

A fine player, but not a 'must have'.

A pro bowl corner is NOT a must have? Since when?

But we need to spend 15 million and a 4th pick in the draft on a RB? Senseless.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pro Football Focus ranked Jones the no. 5 cornerback. Awuzie wasn't rated in the top 25.

But the NFL website didn't list Jones in the top 10.

Teamrankings. com put Jones tied for 7th for passes defended, by their computation.

It depends on who you ask, but to me Jones is no worse than a top 10 cornerback. Considering his age, position versatility and stats, I'd not want to let him go unless he prices himself out of reach...

Position versatility? What others positions can he play? He was terrible at safety. The guy has had ONE good season in the NFL. ZERO picks. And kinda got torched the last quarter of the season.

THIS is a guy that needs another "prove it" season. And can we hope for at least ONE pick?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
They all have bad games at that position.

The NFL puts them at a huge disadvantage with all of the rules. A top 5 corner in todays NFL is going to have some bad days. That's just how it is.

Yep.

Awuzie gave up 138 yards on 11 receptions in one game last year.
Byron gave up 481 on 37 receptions all season long.

Yet Awuzie can just flat out cover, while Byron gets picked on according to him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A pro bowl corner is NOT a must have? Since when?

But we need to spend 15 million and a 4th pick in the draft on a RB? Senseless.

He sure didn't look "Pro Bowl" down the stretch, when he was getting beat by fourth-string Giants. Good thing the voting was already over!

And when did "Pro Bowl" corners end the year with the same number of interceptions as I had last year?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To those that feel Awuzie and Lewis are better, it won't matter. They picked up some DB's in one draft for a reason. Did the same with Charleton, thinking they wouldn't have to re-sign Lawrence.

I don't know how Lord Byron fits under the cap now but add Thomas at 11-13M and I'd say he's a goner.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He sure didn't look "Pro Bowl" down the stretch, when he was getting beat by fourth-string Giants. Good thing the voting was already over!

And when did "Pro Bowl" corners end the year with the same number of interceptions as I had last year?

I agree on all that.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

He had a post route where the ball went above his head (actually had good coverage) and gave up a TD. I keep hearing he got beat a ton down the stretch, is there even any stats on this?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Position versatility? What others positions can he play? He was terrible at safety. The guy has had ONE good season in the NFL. ZERO picks. And kinda got torched the last quarter of the season.

THIS is a guy that needs another "prove it" season. And can we hope for at least ONE pick?

He wasn't "terrible" at safety. Not top of the league, but to say he was terrible is just wrong. In early fall 2018 no other than Darren Woodson said Jones was "a very good safety for the Dallas Cowboys"

Plainly no matter what Jones did, or does, your view is that he's a terrible DB.

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is - your opinion, same as everybody else here...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had a post route where the ball went above his head (actually had good coverage) and gave up a TD. I keep hearing he got beat a ton down the stretch, is there even any stats on this?

Not ones that are readily available but I'll try to dig something up.