Fish: Byron Jones likely gets squeezed out

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
$14 million for CB that didnt get a single pick last season?

How about...……...NO!

Take that $14 million and give it to ET, a dude that actually knows how to catch a ball.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I dont want to see byron get extended until the 4th game at a minimum. He looked very vulnerable at the end of the season and we need to see if this was a fluke or not.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I dont want to see byron get extended until the 4th game at a minimum. He looked very vulnerable at the end of the season and we need to see if this was a fluke or not.

He better turn into freaking Deion Sanders 2.0 if he wants $14 a year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He's the one on my list as well.

Can't pay everybody and I think he's at the bottom.

A fine player, but not a 'must have'.

We finally have a shutdown corner.

I say he stays.

They can always tag him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We finally have a shutdown corner.

Do we? It sure looked like when teams actually started testing him later in the year, they were finding success. And for sure he wasn't picking off passes.

I say he stays.

They can always tag him.

That will depend on whether they have the tag to use on him if they so choose. That tag could be tied up elsewhere.

I think if Jones wants to be here as badly as he says, and gives a discount? Sure, he may stick around. But if he's looking for top money?

Well...bye...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think, hope and believe the FO will find a way to keep Byron Jones in tow.

You simply don't permit one who has proven himself that capable get away.

Jones may not be the cat's meow for picks but his coverage is exceptional.

It should be wise to bear in mind that Byron is still a bit raw at that position.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys are smart they will trade him and get a draft pick out of it.
At this point, its hard for me to see them letting Byron go (assuming his play in 2019 is still at a high level). I do think Richard will be very tempted to take a long corner in this draft & try to mold him. At which point, I could see a member of the secondary being shopped but not Byron.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Actually, we can pay everyone. Not saying we should and Jones would be the one I wouldn't, but we can.

erod

Reaction score
Byron Jones got scorched in the playoffs and end of the season.

The dude just doesn't make plays.

Stop drafting guys who didn't make plays at colleges that don't matter (UConn) just because they win the underwear Olympics at the combine.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
At this point, its hard for me to see them letting Byron go (assuming his play in 2019 is still at a high level). I do think Richard will be very tempted to take a long corner in this draft & try to mold him. At which point, I could see a member of the secondary being shopped but not Byron.

Per Sportrac:

The Cowboys picked up Byron Jones' fifth year option for 2019. The option is worth $6.266 million and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed.

"Getting squeezed out" isn't apparently this year, maybe but I doubt it. And cutting a 26 year old for a 30-plus year old is questionable..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Byron Jones got scorched in the playoffs and end of the season.

The dude just doesn't make plays.

Stop drafting guys who didn't make plays at colleges that don't matter (UConn) just because they win the underwear Olympics at the combine.

I don't get this line of thought.

He's universally viewed as one of the best in the league at his position and in a passing league he does an incredible job at stopping the other teams go to guy when they are lined up on him.

Jaylon Ramsey had 3 picks last year.. So being elite without the 3 picks is still a great thing.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

He and tank. If you could get a first for either, just take it.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Per Sportrac:

The Cowboys picked up Byron Jones' fifth year option for 2019. The option is worth $6.266 million and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed.

"Getting squeezed out" isn't apparently this year, maybe but I doubt it. And cutting a 26 year old for a 30-plus year old is questionable..
exactly. maybe down the road …. but even then as long as he is playing at a high level & doesn't become unreasonable in his contract demands it seems like a guy we would keep. of course, everyone is expendable and with each passing day the situation changes.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Per Sportrac:

The Cowboys picked up Byron Jones' fifth year option for 2019. The option is worth $6.266 millioshun and is guaranteed for injury. If he is on the roster on the first day of the 2019 league year his salary will become fully guaranteed.

He isn't a "shutdown CB"..... he is good but lets walk it back some

erod

Reaction score
I don't get this line of thought.

He's universally viewed as one of the best in the league at his position and in a passing league he does an incredible job at stopping the other teams go to guy when they are lined up on him.

Jaylon Ramsey had 3 picks last year.. So being elite without the 3 picks is still a great thing.

Did you watch the Seattle and LA Rams games? He was easy pickings.

He's not elite.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He should be at the bottom of the list. Late in the year, Awuzie was the corner making plays. Not him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will see after this year. Obviously if he plays like last year then he will be out of our wheel house. Can’t we tag him next year...