Video: Fish: Cowboys 7 steps back to the playoffs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Collins is a good prospect
But there is a reason parsons will be gone when we pick
I’d love Collins but to me you stick to your board and while I think parsons will be gone I don’t see Collins ahead of a CB at 10 but I like Collins
wait until boards flesh out....
parsons will fall and collins will rise.
if collins had come into the season from a D1 school he would have been a top 15 projected pick.
parsons is really good, make no mistake there, but LB that high in draft is always questionable.
collins at 20 after a trade down versus parsons at 10 is a no brainer to me.

Collins won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the best defensive player in the entire country this year.
Last year's winner? Chase Young.

Vandyr

Reaction score
Versus the run he's fine when he has a gap and he hits.

I mean...you could same the same thing about the punter. Or my grandma. Everyone is fine versus the run when they have a gap and they hit.

I'm not as hard on Jaylon as a lot of people here, I just found that statement funny. Literally applies to anyone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jaylon is the only mlb I’ve ever seen that skates backwards when blockers approach. And he sits six yds off the LOS and is late to read the run play which means guards are running up on him especially if our DEs are rushing to the outside. Or he’s read the wrong gap completely and gets washed out. I have no personal animosity against him but he is a liability against the run and screens. No idea how he can play mlb without the ability to stack and shed.
and the sky is orange.
anyone can type anything.
unless you have this happening on film and can point it out there it is meaningless.

conner01

Reaction score
wait until boards flesh out....
parsons will fall and collins will rise.
if collins had come into the season from a D1 school he would have been a top 15 projected pick.
parsons is really good, make no mistake there, but LB that high in draft is always questionable.
collins at 20 after a trade down versus parsons at 10 is a no brainer to me.

Collins won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the best defensive player in the entire country this year.
Last year's winner? Chase Young.
I like Collins a lot and it’s very true if he was from say Alabama he would go very high, but I still think parsons goes higher but we will see
I like the idea of a LB myself though CB is a big issue too
Signing one of our own takes some of the pressure of CB

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like Collins a lot and it’s very true if he was from say Alabama he would go very high, but I still think parsons goes higher but we will see
I like the idea of a LB myself though CB is a big issue too
Signing one of our own takes some of the pressure of CB
Parsons does a lot of stuff well but he wasn't playing behind this Cowboys DL versus quality OLs.
I am not ever taking an off ball LB top 10. EVER.
But especially when I have such massive needs on the DL and the secondary.
NFL defenses now spread 5-6 men at the LOS and you can simply not have DTs who get driven two gaps out of place.
And yea I expect hem to sign one CB but perhaps only to 1 year to buy time for a rookie.

Most of FA happens before a draft and Dallas has yearly tried to eliminate major needs.
Given they draft 10th they can obviously keep 1 hole known if they are pretty sure they know who their guy is. Or what position they are very heavily leaning.
Would Chido take a 6M 1 year deal to come back? I just don't know.
FA is all guessing games.

conner01

Reaction score
Parsons does a lot of stuff well but he wasn't playing behind this Cowboys DL versus quality OLs.
I am not ever taking an off ball LB top 10. EVER.
But especially when I have such massive needs on the DL and the secondary.
NFL defenses now spread 5-6 men at the LOS and you can simply not have DTs who get driven two gaps out of place.
And yea I expect hem to sign one CB but perhaps only to 1 year to buy time for a rookie.

Most of FA happens before a draft and Dallas has yearly tried to eliminate major needs.
Given they draft 10th they can obviously keep 1 hole known if they are pretty sure they know who their guy is. Or what position they are very heavily leaning.
Would Chido take a 6M 1 year deal to come back? I just don't know.
FA is all guessing games.
This draft is gonna be a bit of a guessing game. So many took the year off
If the draft goes as expected I’m guessing CB is gonna be the pick at 10. I don’t expect surtain to be there but likely Farley will
But you never know. I never expect Lamb to be there last year
My hope is all these QB’s light up the combine and 4 go on top 10
Push some defensive guys down

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Jaylon has to be moved to Will. He has some speed and can play sideline to sideline, but he does not take on G, and has no power at the point of attach. He can't cut and is weak at coverage.
Lee can't play MLB as he is to light and injury prone at this point in his career. He is good at it, but can't stay healthy and has lost a step.
JVE can't play MLB as he is injury prone and can't take on guards all game long. I think he would make a great Sam though, and would be on the field anytime the other team had a TE on the field.

So basically Dallas doesn't have a legit MLB, imo. Biggest need in the draft.
As long as Dallas is going to play a 4-3, I think this is where they need to move these players. Lee and JSmith need to be Will -- who starts is coaches choice. LVE needs to be Sam.

Second biggest is NT, but A Woods can play that a little bit, and I think they can get another in FA or middle of draft.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
His number 4 is very VERY valid. Adding Earl, Snacks, and Leary could, repeat COULD, have made a huge difference.

ondaedg

Reaction score
and the sky is orange.
anyone can type anything.
unless you have this happening on film and can point it out there it is meaningless.

Go rewatch the 2019 Vikings and Packers games. You will have all of the evidence you need. Here is one perfect example:

Easiest block that OL ever had was Jaylon sliding over to the running lane straight up while backpedalling.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jaylon has to be moved to Will. He has some speed and can play sideline to sideline, but he does not take on G, and has no power at the point of attach. He can't cut and is weak at coverage.
Lee can't play MLB as he is to light and injury prone at this point in his career. He is good at it, but can't stay healthy and has lost a step.
JVE can't play MLB as he is injury prone and can't take on guards all game long. I think he would make a great Sam though, and would be on the field anytime the other team had a TE on the field.

So basically Dallas doesn't have a legit MLB, imo. Biggest need in the draft.
As long as Dallas is going to play a 4-3, I think this is where they need to move these players. Lee and JSmith need to be Will -- who starts is coaches choice. LVE needs to be Sam.

Second biggest is NT, but A Woods can play that a little bit, and I think they can get another in FA or middle of draft.
Dallas needs a:
FS1
CB1
DT1
LB-Mike

And that's the issue.
You got more massive needs than you have legit ways to fill them.

Fans can make all the jokes and memes they want about Jaylon but he was significantly better than what we rolled out at DT this year or the CB group that shows a returning Diggs ABrown and Rashard Robinson as the top 3.
Our current starting FS is Darian Thompson??

I mean we have guys who shouldn't even be in the league playing DT for us and special teamers starting in this secondary.
And it'd be fine if we had guys returning from injury like on offense but we don't.

AWoods is a restricted free agent.
The only two DT we have from last year's opening roster are Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Go rewatch the 2019 Vikings and Packers games. You will have all of the evidence you need. Here is one perfect example:

Easiest block that OL ever had was Jaylon sliding over to the running lane straight up while backpedalling.

And here's week 5 showing him making plays all over the field with LVE and Lee both out injured.
He breaks up 2-3 screens by himself and ended up with 14 total tackles. 3 TFL and a 1/2 sack.
He eats up the RB in the flat and covers the TE in man easily.

Redline360

Reaction score
Half of those Highlights aren't even highlights
Couple bad passes the receiver had no chance of catching. one even bounced on the ground before hand
Several running plays the RB falls down in front of him....
Shows multiple completions nearly for first downs as he was caught looking down
Halfway through the video it shows highlights of two blown assignments on his part

Granted he did make several good plays...it was also against one of the worse offenses in football
What is more concerning from the video is the DL getting blown off the ball

Who the **** made that video it could have honestly been cut in half lol

Last edited:

ondaedg

Reaction score
And here's week 5 showing him making plays all over the field with LVE and Lee both out injured.
He breaks up 2-3 screens by himself and ended up with 14 total tackles. 3 TFL and a 1/2 sack.
He eats up the RB in the flat and covers the TE in man easily.

you show a highlight video and I show a perfect example of Jaylon being either unable or unwilling to stack and shed that OL allowing the RB to easily get to the goal line for a big run. And because he doesn’t square up the blocker but backpedals allows 78 to shove him out of the way and potentially gets to the third level. Seems like we’re comparing apples to onions.

:huh:

ondaedg

Reaction score
Half of those Highlights aren't even highlights
Couple bad passes the receiver had no chance of catching. one even bounced on the ground before hand
Several running plays the RB falls down in front of him....
Shows multiple completions nearly for first downs as he was caught looking down
Halfway through the video it shows highlights of two blown assignments on his part

Granted he did make several good plays...it was also against one of the worse offenses in football
What is more concerning from the video is the DL getting blown off the ball

Who the **** made that video it could have honestly been cut in half lol

I just watched the video and I would never use that as “proof” that Jaylon is a good mlb. Many of those plays had him making tackles on his back 8yds downfield.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don’t think physical problems are the problem
I never liked him in the middle myself and thought he was better outside
But to me his issues are reading the play and hitting the whole
But he’s far from trash
He is at the top of the league in tackles
My issue is he’s paid a top 3 contract and he’s not a top 3 player, but he is a good LB
He's only top 3 in total value, but avg per year he's 9th.

https://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

His avg yearly salary is on the level of guys like Kwon Alexander (who managed 57 tackles all year) and Cory Littleton (82 tackles).

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
My problem with Jaylon is this. Running around acting like you are a super bowl champion when you have accomplished NOTHING.I don't care about players self promotion, but do it when you have earned the right to do so. Right now that attitude is a cancer to earning/ putting in the work that will actually get you a ring.
Do you watch any other NFL games besides Dallas? Every defensive player in the league jumps up and does some stupid celebration when they think they made a play. Jaylon is far from being the only one that does this. How many times have you seen a DB wave his arms after an incompletion when he was 5-10 yds away from the receiver? Happens every game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
you Jaylon supporters are the same group of blind homers who supported Garrett for years and years with one excuse after another despite clear evidence that he was trash

I know all if you very well

:facepalm::facepalm:

Stereotypes make you stupid bro. I know you would consider me a Garrett supporter yet I have been one of Smith's biggest detractors this year.

garyv

Reaction score
Physically limited but running step for step with TEs, RBs and receivers while in coverage and chasing them down as well.

I get it, he has made some mistakes but you guys act like he can't make any plays and is trash. That's just false. I have seen you guys blaming Jaylon on plays that had nothing to do with him but it was the fault of Lee or Leighton or other players that you guys like.

Here is the truth and I have posted this over and over many times in other posts Dallas needs to move Jaylon Smith to MLB (Middle Linebacker) thats his best spot he don't need to be
trying to cover TE's and WR's and chasing people down on the outside he needs to always play in the MLB spot. They need to draft in 2021 two OLB (Outside Linebackers) that are good
atheletes that run to the ball and make plays both of them will rotate with LVE at OLB (Outside Linebacker).

garyv

Reaction score
Retire Lee
Dispose of Jaylon
Draft LBs. Let them compete with LVE.

Though I admit that LVE is something of a mystery to me, as I can't explain his poor play this year. If they have an explanation for LVE's poor play that should be gone next year, they can be more conservative on bringing in LBs.

One of the annoyances of this year was all the snaps for Jaylon. I hope he's done here. So I see them as a waste. I would have rather played the young guys more. To see what we've got. Give them more development.

Here is the deal and I feel confident they will not dispose of Jaylon Smith thats why I put he needs moved to Middle Linebacker.
They need to draft two Outside LInebackers that move to the ball and make plays to rotate with LVE.