Twitter: Fish: Cowboys interview Dan Quinn

Rayman70

Reaction score
it boils down to good, SMART HIGH FB IQ players AND the correct schemes. Nolan was so stuck on his scheme he forgot about the players, and the players were simply a bad fit and not very good. That will get guys fired every time.He dersved what he got and I think we shall see big name players waived,traded, what have you. Jaylon and Woods are likely gone.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
No hard feelings, if I am coming off as harsh. Just to point out:

Nobody on this planet says talent doesn’t win. A good coach is one who maximizes talent as best as possible. The point is DQ has never picked any talent and it’s the defensive side of the ball, which is supposedly his specialty, that has been consistently folding in Atlanta even without KS. And it was the Atlanta offense that took them to the SB and built that huge lead. And Matt Ryan and JJ continue to fold without KS, while under KS they maximized their talent. KS also led the 49ers to the Sb and while of course, their defense was amazing, KS brought a lot of originality to that 49ers defense that shows what he can do. The guy right run the ball in Atlanta, to developing one of the best running games in the league with the zone blocking schemes he inherited from his father.

Even in Seattle, the Seahawks basically just rushed 4 and hardly blitzed. That defense was built by Carroll and Bradley, not Quinn.
Brother we are Cowboys fans. I love debating with you especially about Dak.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Someone should have really known that meshing the players we had with Nolans scheme was a disaster.

I guess things got a little too warm at the slumber party to bother to address that whole issue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Few nuggets if he's hired;

* return to Marinelli's scheme
*I think we still hire Witt or Simmons
* Kris Richard back?
* He and Jason Garrett are good friends ( Sabans Dolphin team together )
* I'm resisting holding his Falcon tenure against him. ( he could very well be a great-coordinator, terrible head coach type )

Marinelli ran a one Gap scheme exclusively and preferred cover two.

He used smaller alignment and speed.

Quinn and his defense prefers more meat up the middle and emphasizes safety play. he will use one Gap and two Gap techniques depending on game situations. Cover three is the default.

There's also a huge difference in how the Sam linebackers used. Seattle's was much more dynamic than what marinelli showed.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Ok, so he was Seattle's Legion of Boom D-Coordinator before he went to be head coach for the Falcons.

What happened in Atlanta? Where was his Legion of Boom there?

He never had a great defense in Atlanta, and after his pet cat SS was lost for two straight years, his defenses went belly up.

He is useless without a "Cam Chancellor" type.

He suffered in part because Dimitroff could not draft DEs.

But the secondary was what killed him in ATL.

D-

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Wade Philips , Norv Turner , Chan Gailey , Dave Wannstedt , Butch Davis...........The Cowboys alone have a whole host of former successful coordinators who weren't good head coaches

Gaede

Reaction score
Now this makes sense......looks like ALL interviewed candidates may be on staff

Makes a ton of sense. Edwards likely gone in that scenario. Really, nobody on this defense deserves to stay, so I'm cool with that.

In that case, give me Simmons, since Whitt's unit (and Quinn's too I guess) was trash last year

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Marinelli ran a one Gap scheme exclusively and preferred cover two.

He used smaller alignment and speed.

Quinn and his defense prefers more meat up the middle and emphasizes safety play. he will use one Gap and two Gap techniques depending on game situations. Cover three is the default.

There's also a huge difference in how the Sam linebackers used. Seattle's was much more dynamic than what marinelli showed.

So we'll need a NT for Q scheme????

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Dan Quinn, the former Falcons head coach? I don't remember the Falcons ever having a very good Defense. How is he a good choice for D-Coordinator?
You do understand being a HC and Defensive Coordinator are not the same job.

Wade Phillips=consistently awesome DC, but terrible Head Coach
Buddy Ryan=ditto

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
You do understand being a HC and Defensive Coordinator are not the same job.

Wade Phillips=consistently awesome DC, but terrible Head Coach
Buddy Ryan=ditto
Winning games and clock management is different than the scheme he wants installed. Wades defense was very good here.

The Cover 3 is said to be antiquated as a primary call system. When Sam Darnold says it’s too easy to know what they’re doing that’s all I need to hear.