Video: Fish: Grow up time for Kelvin Joseph

MyFairLady

Reaction score
IMHO Jerruh gonna need to beef up the excuse rolodex for his latest second round reclamation project.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
IMHO Jerruh gonna need to beef up the excuse rolodex for his latest second round reclamation project.
At least it's your honest opinion.
I'd hate it to be just... your opinion.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I've always wonder how much each former DC/secondary coach really did for Seattle and who really was the mastermind for Seattle's L.O.B.

Carrolls first stint in the NFL IIRC was defensive backs coach then a DC.

He's always been involved with the secondary in Seattle. He learned from Monte Kiffin in the 70's at NC State where he was the DB's coach and the DC.

I'm always wary about giving defensive coordinators under defensive head coaches too much credit, and the same with offensive coordinators under offensive head coaches.

I think Marinelli's elevation to a defensive coordinator (and even head coach) was based more on the fact he was a defensive coach/coordinator/assistant head coach under Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. I think it falsely inflated his ability as a DC.

Same might hold true for Quinn regarding Seattle. However, his first couple of years as a head coach in Atlanta, his defenses were actually pretty good, despite the Super Bowl letdown. They gave up 20 points to Seattle and 21 to Green Bay in the playoffs that year (numbers we could have won with in our playoff years) before blowing the largest lead in Super Bowl history, and the next year, they did even better, surrendering 13 points to the Rams and 15 to the Eagles (losing only because their offense scored eight).

The question for me with Quinn is what happened after that. Why did the Falcons defense get bad from there? Too many bad draft picks? Too many injuries? Too much reliance on his defensive coordinators since he was busy being a head coach?

I'm hoping that with him being fully focused on defense again that he can get back to at least the level Atlanta was playing at his first couple of years, even if a Legion on Boom repeat is out of reach.

plymkr

Reaction score
First, Fisher is looking to throw hands over the $15 you just cost him by posting this - start training

Second, I mean he is undercharging us with the stories of uber-sleuthing a Collins for 3 days in preparation of him being undrafted and the other 29 teams blowing up his agents phone and including Rex Ryan who flew to Baton Rouge apparently were sitting on their hands.

Third - where was this sleuthing with Dwayne Goodrich or Mo Claiborne? As I type that, I see it is rhetorical because - Cornerbacks don't need analysis, interviews or checks.

The fact this guy makes enough of a living to have a decent house and pool with this stripe makes me further lament that true meritocracy is dead
I remember Goodrich had some issues coming out of college but I don't remember Mo Claiborne having off the field issues. Did I forget something about him? What was his deal?

plymkr

Reaction score
And a heavy metal band as an offensive line.
Lol, I remember that. Man they're "music" was just as trash as Bossman Fat. Football players should just stick to football and leave the music to the musicians.

And don't forget about Chad Hutchinson playing the blues or country or whatever it was on Hard Knocks. That was more painful than the season that followed.

quickccc

Reaction score
There've been a handful of good ones at 6'4", but one of the biggest metrics for corner is 3-cone time, and guys that tall have a difficult challenge w/change of direction. The other reason I didn't like the pick is that we could have easily grabbed Wright later in the draft. He wasn't on anyone's radar.

If I'm an opposing coach and Wright is the left corner, guess what I'm going to do all day? Simple, send my Calvin Ridley, or Waddle, or Kadarius Toney and test out the tall kid's dance moves.

it's been proven that some players play beyond workout drills and 40 times,. .. while it's find to have a great 3 cone time or a blazing 4.3 40 time, you're measured at what you do on the playing field.

some guys are great in shorts and t-shirts ...while others really game and ball it when the pads are on, when they hit the playing field
and when all the stakes are on the line.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I remember Goodrich had some issues coming out of college but I don't remember Mo Claiborne having off the field issues. Did I forget something about him? What was his deal?

The main thing I remember being said about Claiborne is that he had a terrible Wonderlic score.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah I just have bad memories or PTSD of Taylor hurting us in 95-98. He was a good match up for Irvin. Big and physical just like #88. Irvin beat him when it mattered most, playoffs, but Taylor, tiki barber are 2 players from division rivals that haunted us in 95 and beyond. They seemed to be average against other teams but matched up well against us.

Man I really miss the days of good Cowboys football. When every loss hurt all week and every win was bragging rights for the whole week. Now if we win it's a pleasant surprise and losses are accepted as normalcy. I miss the matchups of the great 90's teams. Big E vs Reggie White. Irvin vs Williams, Green, Allen, Vincent, etc. Emmitt vs the whole league and Emmitt won, booommm!!!! Aikman performing surgery against defenses. Man, that was a fun time.

Now we have the likes of Jaylon Smith and fat Zeke running down the field like a moving lava lamp.

i missed the sheer Philly rivalry per Buddy Ryan. Their arrogance kept it going until they self destructed
Ryan was miscast as a HC, and they had an awful OL, and they had no real run game with tippy toes Keith Byars.
but they had a helluva defensive cast from DL, ..to LBs Seth Joyner, to secondary of Taylor, Eric Allen, and the
late Wes Hopkins and Andre Waters ... the McNabb, Owens Philly team just can't compare to the Ryan rival eagles...

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Never even interviewed him. all that ability to do research and sleuthing, using capital to trade up and they never even knew if he could spell cat if spotted the C and A

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
I would love to see the over under on Bossman Fat time spent watching tape preparing for his next opponent. I bet if you asked him who we play week one he wouldn't even know. Then ask him who play WR for that team he would have no idea. Then ask him what he has noticed studying film on those WRs and he would have nothing but a stupid look on his face.
I would love to see the over under on Bossman Fat time spent watching tape preparing for his next opponent. I bet if you asked him who we play week one he wouldn't even know. Then ask him who play WR for that team he would have no idea. Then ask him what he has noticed studying film on those WRs and he would have nothing but a stupid look on his face.

As this gem is pulled out your ***, maybe you should invest your fortune telling gift in lottery tickets.

plymkr

Reaction score
The main thing I remember being said about Claiborne is that he had a terrible Wonderlic score.
Ah, ok, yeah so they didn't research if he was smart or not. Or they didn't care. Either way it was a bad pick considering he was the 6th overall.