Twitter: Fish: MM, "we're a four-man down-linemen defense"

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we still run some under in the 4-3, that where the 1T comes in

Since this is a new scheme and defense, is the need for 1T and 3T be a concern, and just get 2 DT's that can play?
Asking as I am nor sure, I never got into the technical side of either term. I mean I read it before and understood it. But Rod's view it always seemed so convoluted since he seemed to screw it up all the time. So I quickly forgot what he was trying to accomplish. LOL.

Dre11

Reaction score
Hybrid that fits our players. Look for multiple looks. This ain’t Marinelli’s crap defense where we line up and hope to beat the man in front of you. Same goes for offense.

Regardless, MM and his staff is the fan’s Ace in the hole.

actually lining up and beating your man wasn't Marinelli's defense. Marinelli ran a lot of stunts.

Dre11

Reaction score
Since this is a new scheme and defense, is the need for 1T and 3T be a concern, and just get 2 DT's that can play?
Asking as I am nor sure, I never got into the technical side of either term. I mean I read it before and understood it. But Rod's view it always seemed so convoluted since he seemed to screw it up all the time. So I quickly forgot what he was trying to accomplish. LOL.

if they continue to run an under front, they can get away with just a DT, but it's not ideal, that 1 is going to see quite a bit double teams so you prefer a bigger stout guy that can hold his ground and not get washed. If they plan to run some 3 man line it would be ideal if that 1T can slide down to the 0T . sounds like they're running multiple fronts

ondaedg

Reaction score
I hated when Parcells came in and went to a 3-4.

I caused us to draft Bobby Carpenter..failure.

It moved Ware to LBer and he was a better DL player than a LBer..

he fired Zimmer who was a damned good DC and actually deserved to be our HC than was Parcells.

Look at Zimmer now. One of the top 10 coaches out there..maybe higher. And he has lasted for years as a HC.

Think of all those HC coaching changes we could have avoided.

I rejoiced when we dropped the 3-4.

we could not man it, teach it nor win with it.

:(

We could have manned it correctly but chose not to. Ratliff was about 40lbs less than the prototypical NTs teams were using but we liked his pass rushing ability. And JJ had zero focus on the ILB or S positions which are key to the 3-4. It was choice not because it was too difficult to do.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
actually lining up and beating your man wasn't Marinelli's defense. Marinelli ran a lot of stunts.
Stunts that never got home and he rarely blitzed for fear of getting beat on the backend. So glad he took his crap defense to Vegas.

Dre11

Reaction score
Stunts that never got home and he rarely blitzed for fear of getting beat on the backend. So glad he took his crap defense to Vegas.

actually Dallas was ranked 11 in defensive pressures, sacks are not the end all be all to pressuring QBs, they ranked higher than teams like New England and Baltimore who are usually high pressure teams.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
actually Dallas was ranked 11 in defensive pressures, sacks are not the end all be all to pressuring QBs, they ranked higher than teams like New England and Baltimore who are usually high pressure teams.
The eyeball test for what we did defensively told the story. So did the 8-8 record. We struggled defensively regardless of our ranking in QB pressures.

Dre11

Reaction score
The eyeball test for what we did defensively told the story. So did the 8-8 record. We struggled defensively regardless of our ranking in QB pressures.
The problem with your eyeball test it is that it leads you to making false claims. I agree with you that the defense hasn't been great but it hasn't suck the whole time either. I don't know what kind of stock you're putting in Nolan's defense because his defense is haven't been great either.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The problem with your eyeball test it is that it leads you to making false claims. I agree with you that the defense hasn't been great but it hasn't suck the whole time either. I don't know what kind of stock you're putting in Nolan's defense because his defense is haven't been great either.
I’m willing to give Mike’s staff the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. We know what we had with Marmalade. Rod’s incessant demand to bring in players that fit his scheme. The scheme sucked, and to say otherwise is blasphemy.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I can still see Rod standing on and pounding on Jerry’s $20,000 marble table with Jerry’s sack etched into it wanting a player to fit an archaic scheme from the year 2000.

Dre11

Reaction score
I’m willing to give Mike’s staff the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. We know what we had with Marmalade. Rod’s incessant demand to bring in players that fit his scheme. The scheme sucked, and to say otherwise is blasphemy.

did it suck in 2018? they pretty much had 2 bad games.

Common Sense

Reaction score

Our problem was mediocre coverage and run defense. Hopefully getting stouter up the middle will help with the run, but lord help this secondary.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
did it suck in 2018? they pretty much had 2 bad games.
They were a pretty dang good unit in 2018, but it begs the question why they took such a dramatic turn for the worse.

Dre11

Reaction score
They were a pretty dang good unit in 2018, but it begs the question why they took such a dramatic turn for the worse.

They were damn good in 2018. Jalen and LV were the next best duo as linebackers
we thought ,the d-line was good so was the secondary. I think part of the problem last year was we had some underrated injuries.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
They were damn good in 2018. Jalen and LV were the next best duo as linebackers
we thought ,the d-line was good so was the secondary. I think part of the problem last year was we had some underrated injuries.
Man, appreciate the considerate back and forth. That’s what this is all about! Civility whether we disagree or not. We both have valuable/legit arguments and not one more important than the other. Well done Dre11!
I was so disappointed that we couldn’t build off what we saw in 2018, because that was one of the better defenses we witnessed in such a long time. All started with that home game vs the Saints.

Bottom line, we can both agree that we hope this new staff can reign in the problematic areas and get back to at least what we had after the 3-5 record back in 2018.

Dre11

Reaction score
Man, appreciate the considerate back and forth. That’s what this is all about! Civility whether we disagree or not. We both have valuable/legit arguments and not one more important than the other. Well done Dre11!
I was so disappointed that we couldn’t build off what we saw in 2018, because that was one of the better defenses we witnessed in such a long time. All started with that home game vs the Saints.

Bottom line, we can both agree that we hope this new staff can reign in the problematic areas and get back to at least what we had after the 3-5 record back in 2018.

Turnovers will be the key.