Fish: No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he doesn’t run as often, his effectiveness will plummet. He’s not a great passer. Take away his running ability and I’d drop him from top 7-8 to teens as far as QB rankings go

This team deserves what they get which is nothing.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak is going to play the way he plays. He is not a fear driven guy.

I hope so, the last thing we need is these coaches getting in his head and preventing him from doing what he needs to do. I personally didn't think Dak ran all that much. His mobility is a strength, and if they take that away it will hurt us. He just has to be smart about it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
True but it did happen, so what is in the past is in the past, but now Superman has been exposed/injured, so Jerry did not just pay his franchise QB to have him beaten up.
Sewell or Slater is the easy early pick for Jerry.

I couldn't say as I'd blame the staff for attending to the OT before turning their attention to replenishing their secondary. The team's investment in Dak is something that should be dutifully protected. Hopefully, there will be DBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who would serve them well. Of course, that's also assuming Sewell and Slater aren't taken by the time pick #10 comes up. I imagine one of them would be, though.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So yes, the Cowboys will still use the read-option. And yes, Dak will still bust out of the pocket when there is an opening. And yes, he will still stand in the pocket and take a hit.
so what has changed??

"But there are certain plays, there are certain times that I’ll be a much smarter player and decide when to not use my physicality during the run, just taking care of myself,''

duh if he or his coaches or jerry had half a brain, this would be the case from the beginning.
keeping the read option is stupid, as it is ineffective most of the time, and that is not how a qb should run!

Best and safest runs are from the pocket if something opens up or if he rolls out and he can run to sideline, like mahomes does.

But the key is slide or go out of bounds, or just go down forward, dont take hits, it is stupid, even for td or 1st down.
Only in a playoff game should he maybe take hits for a score or to keep a drive going.

I am all for qb's running, as long as they avoid the hits, if they dont they will wind up like rg3.
When dak got hurt , he was running like a RB lol, trying to run thru a tackle, and that is why
he got his ankle broken , very dumb on his part and his coaches.

I don't know how many times he's had a clear path to run for the first down in front of him only to throw an incompletion and kill the drive.

I guess we get to enjoy more of that.

jnday

Reaction score
If he doesn’t run as often, his effectiveness will plummet. He’s not a great passer. Take away his running ability and I’d drop him from top 7-8 to teens as far as QB rankings go
Dak has not run that much since his rookie season. He occasionally pulls the ball down and runs when he can’t find an open receiver or runs a QB sneak at the goal line, but those types of plays have not been that common the last couple of years.

jnday

Reaction score
I don't know how many times he's had a clear path to run for the first down in front of him only to throw an incompletion and kill the drive.

I guess we get to enjoy more of that.
It sure looks like it. Dak has not run nearly enough in my opinion. I think Garrett had started limiting Dak’s running after his rookie season.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
He can run but he has to understand that there is a slide rule in place for a reason, heck we got a bull at running back already we don't need that from the QB. But if it's there you take the yards and get down no more no less.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Be be smart about it, no need to stiff arm or truck anyone. Just pick up the first down and slide. The worst thing he could do is to let fear dictate his game.

This, do like Russell Wilson and for you old school RB fans of the group Slave with Steve Arrington "Slide, Slide why don't you Slide".

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I couldn't say as I'd blame the staff for attending to the OT before turning their attention to replenishing their secondary. The team's investment in Dak is something that should be dutifully protected. Hopefully, there will be DBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who would serve them well. Of course, that's also assuming Sewell and Slater aren't taken by the time pick #10 comes up. I imagine one of them would be, though.
BF, O-Tackle Teven Jenkins should be available, even if we trade down a few picks while picking up an extra late 2nd round pick. Teven Jenkins, in my opinion, is much better than Slater. Jenkins is a mauler. I would love that pick in the 1st round, especially since we can't trust both Tyron and La'El due to their injuries.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be interesting to see stats on QB injuries. How many occur in the pocket as opposed to taking off?

When a QB is on the run, he can see the field better and is in a better position to protect himself. When that pocket is collapsing on him, that's 300-600 lbs coming in on him.

With that surgically repaired ankle, is he more comfortable out in the open or with large men falling around his ankle? If he's hauling it to escape, they have bigger problems.

Smart money says you follow 160M with the best OL they can get in this draft, if his health and protection are paramount.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

BY MIKE FISHER , APR 12, 2021
F36oL2hq-720.jpg

https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&jwsource=cl

FRISCO - Dallas Cowboys boss Jerry Jones loves the mobility that Dak Prescott brings to the quarterback position. And Dak enjoys it, too, recently waxing poetically about having been "a young bull.''

But the owner and the QB seem to be on the same page on the subject of Prescott as a runner.

They don't seem very bullish on it anymore.

“I’ve got to be smarter,” Prescott said last month after signing his new four-year $160 million contract. “Before the (2020 Week 5 season-ending ankle) injury, going back to high school I was told to be smarter on when I want to demonstrate my physicality or when I want to try to make a point in the game or change the momentum.

"(But) I have to be smarter. With this investment, with my health being jeopardized at a certain point, it makes a whole lot more sense to me about being smarter and why people have said that.''

So the "investment'' - the contract - means Dak is about to make more on-field "business decisions'' when it comes to running with the football?

We doubt that.

OK, so the Cowboys are going to suddenly retool their offense so Prescott doesn't run?

We doubt that, too.

Jones is worried, though, that if Dak continues to take hits, the Cowboys QB won't be around long enough to use all of his talents.

"I've always handicapped, to some degree, Dak,'' Jones told us, "because of the fact that he's so effective and has been in his career in the running game, and his ability to take it down and get the big play and get the yards. I've always known that he couldn't do that like that for long in the NFL.

"You can't do that.''

Jones cited one legendary quarterback of the past and one growing legend of the present to illustrate his case.

(Continued): https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16182841799449&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan

He will need to throw it away here and there. But he must still take off with the ball sometimes or defenses won’t fear it. There is times a QB has to tuck and run. But be smart and slide down. That stiff arm and get more yards isn’t necessary unless the extra yard can get points or first down, then the competitive nature of these players will come out.

visionary

Reaction score
This sucks. 1/3 of his effectiveness is his threat to run and making teams pay. Take that away and we got Andy Dalton back at the helm.

And of course this comes out RIGHT AFTER he signs his big contract.

Its called “greed”

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I see people talking about Dak doesn’t have the arm talent to be an effective QB without running.

Am I the only one who remembers him averaging 422.5 yards a game before the injury? As well as one of the best completion percentages in the NFL? Or am I misremembering that?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So, the plan is to make McNabb a pocket passer. Good luck to the Ravens trying to make Lamar Jackson a pocket passer.

My guess is that the Eagles are not so stupid to make Hurts a pocket passer.

Nothing like telegraphing the defense that your QB is likely not running.

ondaedg

Reaction score
No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

BY MIKE FISHER , APR 12, 2021
F36oL2hq-720.jpg

https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&jwsource=cl

FRISCO - Dallas Cowboys boss Jerry Jones loves the mobility that Dak Prescott brings to the quarterback position. And Dak enjoys it, too, recently waxing poetically about having been "a young bull.''

But the owner and the QB seem to be on the same page on the subject of Prescott as a runner.

They don't seem very bullish on it anymore.

“I’ve got to be smarter,” Prescott said last month after signing his new four-year $160 million contract. “Before the (2020 Week 5 season-ending ankle) injury, going back to high school I was told to be smarter on when I want to demonstrate my physicality or when I want to try to make a point in the game or change the momentum.

"(But) I have to be smarter. With this investment, with my health being jeopardized at a certain point, it makes a whole lot more sense to me about being smarter and why people have said that.''

So the "investment'' - the contract - means Dak is about to make more on-field "business decisions'' when it comes to running with the football?

We doubt that.

OK, so the Cowboys are going to suddenly retool their offense so Prescott doesn't run?

We doubt that, too.

Jones is worried, though, that if Dak continues to take hits, the Cowboys QB won't be around long enough to use all of his talents.

"I've always handicapped, to some degree, Dak,'' Jones told us, "because of the fact that he's so effective and has been in his career in the running game, and his ability to take it down and get the big play and get the yards. I've always known that he couldn't do that like that for long in the NFL.

"You can't do that.''

Jones cited one legendary quarterback of the past and one growing legend of the present to illustrate his case.

(Continued): https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16182841799449&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan

Steve Young calls BS

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I was a proponent last year that Dak needed to run more. Boy did I get blasted when he got injured!

But just running...isn't the deal. Run SMART. If you have 20 yards of open field...take the 10, run out of bounds...and keep them honest. Make them play that part of the field and open it up.

Run SMART!

He broke his leg and dislocated his ankle before contact. I believe Bridgewater did the same thing in practice when he broke his leg.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
...and boom, the first hater makes an appearance. He's led or been near the top in the last 2 years in passing and he's not great?:facepalm: