Fish: No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL...Dak is not that good of a passer but now will be worse?

Nah, Dak only led the league TWICE in tight window throws. Plus, has led the league accuracy in deep ball throws several times as well.

He can't pass. He will suck without his ability to run. :facepalm::muttley:
Someone like Papsmear or CantCatch says that Dak can't throw and all the sheep haters fall in line. They surely don't know but they read it on the internets.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
If he doesn’t run as often, his effectiveness will plummet. He’s not a great passer. Take away his running ability and I’d drop him from top 7-8 to teens as far as QB rankings go
the 3rd most accurate quarterback since 2018 isn’t a “not great” passer?:facepalm:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Lol..

Great.. Let’s rely on Dak’s arm talent.. This will end well.
For the offense, it has so far. Led by Dak they've been averaging 31.45 pts per game since 2019 and thru the first 4 games last year. And you blame the record all on Dak? :lmao2::lmao:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I couldn't say as I'd blame the staff for attending to the OT before turning their attention to replenishing their secondary. The team's investment in Dak is something that should be dutifully protected. Hopefully, there will be DBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds who would serve them well. Of course, that's also assuming Sewell and Slater aren't taken by the time pick #10 comes up. I imagine one of them would be, though.
Thats fine if Slater and Sewell are both gone, I worry about the first pick about as much as I worry about a rain cloud.
There will be plenty of talent later in this draft, Im not buying the rant from those saying this is a weak draft class, they are only saying that because they were limited in their evaluations because of a totally lost season.
This is a deeper class that will manifest a lot of talent for the prepared teams that have a good draft staff and trust their board.

ghst187

Reaction score
...and boom, the first hater makes an appearance. He's led or been near the top in the last 2 years in passing and he's not great?:facepalm:

here we go with the stupid labels....
His running and the threat of him running is a staple for his game and alters the defense.
That read option inside the five has been a big part of our redzone strategy.
His running is what kept many many drives alive. Take much of that away and the effectiveness of our offense dives. You may be the only one in the world that thinks Dak can be a great pocket passer. He’s never been that.

ghst187

Reaction score
Just slide like Wilson. Don't take unnecessary hits. Not running just helps the opposing defence make their job easier. It's an important function in a modern offence

this. lot of folks rate Lamar Jackson as one of the top QBs in the league. Imagine him being limited from running. Baltimore wouldn’t make the playoffs and would be looking for a new QB.
I think Dak is a lot better than that but still going to reduce his effectiveness

jnday

Reaction score
...and boom, the first hater makes an appearance. He's led or been near the top in the last 2 years in passing and he's not great?:facepalm:
He would be great if those stats translated to wins in any way, but they haven’t.

jnday

Reaction score
With $40 million dollar paychecks every year, he should be able to run or do anything else that it takes to win games. If they are so concerned about injuries, then that is another reason why he is overpaid.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The tackle from Logan Ryan was routine imo, and kind of a freak injury. I think this a bit of overreaction. So what is Dak gonna bih up when he see Ryan this year and slide??? He better not. This is football, if you scared go home.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

BY MIKE FISHER , APR 12, 2021
F36oL2hq-720.jpg

https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&jwsource=cl

FRISCO - Dallas Cowboys boss Jerry Jones loves the mobility that Dak Prescott brings to the quarterback position. And Dak enjoys it, too, recently waxing poetically about having been "a young bull.''

But the owner and the QB seem to be on the same page on the subject of Prescott as a runner.

They don't seem very bullish on it anymore.

“I’ve got to be smarter,” Prescott said last month after signing his new four-year $160 million contract. “Before the (2020 Week 5 season-ending ankle) injury, going back to high school I was told to be smarter on when I want to demonstrate my physicality or when I want to try to make a point in the game or change the momentum.

"(But) I have to be smarter. With this investment, with my health being jeopardized at a certain point, it makes a whole lot more sense to me about being smarter and why people have said that.''

So the "investment'' - the contract - means Dak is about to make more on-field "business decisions'' when it comes to running with the football?

We doubt that.

OK, so the Cowboys are going to suddenly retool their offense so Prescott doesn't run?

We doubt that, too.

Jones is worried, though, that if Dak continues to take hits, the Cowboys QB won't be around long enough to use all of his talents.

"I've always handicapped, to some degree, Dak,'' Jones told us, "because of the fact that he's so effective and has been in his career in the running game, and his ability to take it down and get the big play and get the yards. I've always known that he couldn't do that like that for long in the NFL.

"You can't do that.''

Jones cited one legendary quarterback of the past and one growing legend of the present to illustrate his case.

(Continued): https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16182841799449&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan

If we only had a RB that was good on short yardage and GL Dak wouldnt have to stick his nose in there as much.

chagus

Reaction score
Dak is nothing like RG3 or any of them QBs that have been destroyed in the past. Dak is built like a linebacker. Sure, he should be smarter on his running but that's not gonna change who he is: a competitor.

jnday

Reaction score
Yet more regurgitating........WHEN will you use your own thoughts??

Plaguriast......
I was one of the first that noticed Dak’s inability to do anything in the first three quarters of games. Those comebacks during the garbage time of games that never produce a win is not something to brag about. How is it plagiarism when I am using my own thoughts and I was one of the first , if not the first , that noticed this about Dak? Try again.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
This sucks. 1/3 of his effectiveness is his threat to run and making teams pay. Take that away and we got Andy Dalton back at the helm.

And of course this comes out RIGHT AFTER he signs his big contract.

You can't be serious with this bull**** lol

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If he doesn’t run as often, his effectiveness will plummet. He’s not a great passer. Take away his running ability and I’d drop him from top 7-8 to teens as far as QB rankings go
drop him to 7 or 8? Thats where he joins the discussion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak will still run the ball all they want to see his him using better judgement of getting as much as he can then get down or slide to avoid a situation like he had last year. As always some here are making more out of this than need be.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think he can still run, but he needs to know when enough is enough and just slide, or run out of bounds. Russell Wilson is a master at that. The injury he got was freakish, it could have happened just standing in the pocket and getting his foot caught underneath while being tackled.

It should've always been based on model of how Russell Wilson picks and chooses his way of using mobility and scrambling- without having to take unnecessary hits and punishment.
Goodness knows Wilson takes more than enuff hits and pops in the pocket alone, with such a porous OL he's had to work with for years.

But when Wilson does have to either elude or improvise vs a rush, he either finishes it with a scramble run out of bounds.. or he goes into a slide before a defender can close in for a tackler.

What we saw with Dak in his big injury with Giants Logan Ryan, that was Dak trying to be a RB in physically shrugging off his stiff arm which only enrages a tackler
to bring even more force, more muscle and more determination to abstract more punishment on the resisting ball carrier.

Especially when it's a "designed" play call that influences the ball carrier into that kind of head on mentality.

Now I do expect some continuing RPO designed plays with the QB running the ball in at the goal line , when a great many of those ball fakes Dak is not even touched
because the play action handling is so well executed.