Fish On Cowboys At The Trade Deadline

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fire sale would he my guess. He has dominated, however he has already equaled his rookie production this season.

If this report is true, this is a trade I would be interested in. Still high upside for a young player who is improving. You lose a half year of contract control, and some cap space, but you have a better chance at getting production. Its also a fairly weak draft at DT, and we sorely need one

That was the report I read that got me mentioning it here.

kevm3

Reaction score
Cowboys ain't doing nothing and that's for the best. Don't want to ruin our draft position and give up what should be high picks. You're not going to ever get better by cruising into 8 and 8 territory with midlevel picks. We've already had nearly 10 years of that. We need to get the talent that high level picks will afford us.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I’m all for it. As long as it is on defense. I have no clue who is even out there in college. With Covid and teams sitting out etc it looks bleak. I’ve always preferred a proven commodity over hope.

100%.........this is something many are not talking but will have a huge impact on evaluating 2021 eligible drafted players. According to a tweet from one NFL pro scout, some of the players whose team only played a partial or no season are really sophomores being drafted as Jr. One example he gave was Baker Mayfield, pointing out he probably gets draft 2nd or 3rd round w/o his Jr year as oppose to 1st overall.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
100%.........this is something many are not talking but will have a huge impact on evaluating 2021 eligible drafted players. According to a tweet from one NFL pro scout, some of the players whose team only played a partial or no season are really sophomores being drafted as Jr. One example he gave was Baker Mayfield, pointing out he probably gets draft 2nd or 3rd round w/o his Jr year as oppose to 1st overall.
This should mean some gems can fall to you if you can find them. Not a draft to get cute in.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol IF he thinks he can right this ship by making an addition or two he's wrong.

We lost our starting QB on top of an already doomed season.

Theres no coming back this season. Its time to begin preparing for next year. I hate saying that too, but when your defense is historically bad, and your franchise QB is out what other choice do we have?
It is a Stephen Jones philosophy to look for deals that at the trade deadline that will be beneficial past the current season.

Jerry is minimally involved anymore. He gets a daily status update and a briefing before he does TV/Radio.

That has been obvious in recent years but Broaddus in his scaled earth approach as an ex Cowboys employee has confirmed.

Loso86

Reaction score
If we could trade a 2nd or 3rd for Q. Williams then I definitely would. Not only would he be our best DT but he is young and it would benefit more than just this year. From what I've seen this years dlineman isn't going to be great.

kskboys

Reaction score
This kind of stuff is hilarious.
What exactly is Jerry/Stephen/Will supposed to say?
--No, we are full on tanking buddy and refuse to get better?

There are a lot of bad teams this year which means a lot of sellers.
In that case it is a plus to be a buyer.
Especially if you have two R3, two R4s and two R6s to play with.

--Well, we are just too bad to add anything.
LOL, no we are not.
DAL is in 1st place with a win Sunday and they face the Eagles next week.
2 wins and they are in the drivers seat in a terrible division.
Anyone that watched the PHI/NYG game saw two realllllly bad teams.
DAL is merely another bad NFCE team.

DAL added Amari Cooper to boost the team at a weak position going forward and it started the ball rolling on turning the team's worst position group into a team if not league strength.
Trades can definitely speed up the positional overhaul process.

DAL is unlikely to get Q Williams because that's going to cost a fortune.
BUT if they did it would be about the next 5-6 years not just this one.

Some non-star players like a decent OT and a middling LB would be fine as additions with the OT more a stop gap and the LB possible being part of a longer term solution.
With every player healthy this team still could use a 2nd safety, another LB, a rock solid change of pace RB, DTs, CBs.

It is hard to be a seller when everyone you have of real value is either injured or part of your longer term plans.
The only area DAL currently has surplus value is WR and that is the easiest position to improve via the draft.
Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into it.

MikeB80

Reaction score
If this front office Trades away draft pick for anyone with a pick higher than the 5th round they are nuts.

They should be looking to move some pieces and add more 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks. The giants just moved golden for a 6h. Once gregory is back maybe you can get a 5th or 6th for aldon smith. or something higher for Awuzie.

Jipper

Reaction score
Except if we win the east wed be 19th

thats a big EXCEPT....the way this team is playing there is zero reason to believe they are going to win any more than 4-6 games and the way philly has played they look to be a 7-8 win team....

at this point, i wouldnt gamble on it, not with a backup qb and a decimated OL

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
If Dak and T. Smith were still healthy, I would want to be more aggressive, to take advantage of our historically bad division, but there is no way we are doing anything with Dalton behind a makeshift offensive line trying to make up for a horrible defense.

That being said, a good young player at a position of definite need for '21 like Williams - you bet.

If Dak and the OL are healthy next year, the '21 offense is going to be incredibly good, if we can start building the '21 defense early, let's do it!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak and T. Smith were still healthy, I would want to be more aggressive, to take advantage of our historically bad division, but there is no way we are doing anything with Dalton behind a makeshift offensive line trying to make up for a horrible defense.

That being said, a good young player at a position of definite need for '21 like Williams - you bet.

If Dak and the OL are healthy next year, the '21 offense is going to be incredibly good, if we can start building the '21 defense early, let's do it!

Yes, Williams would be the only deal I would have any interest in. About the long term, not this lost year.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I wouldnt say that
Just my opinion. I look at other franchises that have been aggressive bringing in players even though they're playing well. Our defensive roster specifically is decimated. A smart GM would show a little more urgency. Baltimore is 5-1 and yet are still doing all they can.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
this is how Jerry operates and some fans buy it. Sure let’s trade a high draft pick, then overpay him a year from now while the rest of the team stinks. That same ridiculous recipe that’s never worked? Let’s try that again! lol Jerry apparently will never learn a lesson here! Absolutely clueless! Maybe trade 2 firsts for Trubisky. That’s a great plan too.
On top of that, lets not draft a position of need (DT) and get another WR. I love Lamb, but you have to spread things around.

CowboysNation85

Reaction score
Why? To win the worst division ever in the NFL and get beat by a real playoff contender?

Do you honestly think that this team can hang with the likes of Baltimore, KC, TB, etc even if we add a player on defense?
Any given Sunday.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If this thing tanks do you really want to waste a high pick in any round before the 5th round?

fivetwos

Reaction score

That all makes sense and I agree in philosophy.

But the guy hasn't played well at all.

That why they want to deal him.

Top 5 picks bust all the time. This guy is headed right in that direction and that's exactly why they may be ready to take pennies on the dollar for him.

I listen to a local radio show daily hosted by two Jet fans. They have no love at all for this guy.

Can he turn it around here? Sure maybe, but do you really want to spend a high second, then rely on Tomsula to fix him....all when we dont have a clue what kind of scheme we may run moving ahead, or who the DC may be.

I'm not against bringing him here because he has the pedigree, but it would have to be for the lower comp 3rd at very most. Maybe more like a 4th.

RS12

Reaction score
I can think of a big addition by subtraction we could make that would really help the team.