Fish On Cowboys At The Trade Deadline

Creeper

Reaction score
If these idiots start shipping picks I might lose my mind....we’re going to be picking at the top of each round and this is not a situation whweee you are one player a way

If the Cowboys win their horrible division, even with a 4-12 record, the pick no higher than 19th. On top of that, we have no idea what the off season is going to look like. Will there be a combine? Will there be pro days? If there is a young quality player available, then go get him. But I would not trade for players with more than 5 years of experience at this point. And they can't really take on any significant contracts. This is why Quinnen Williams for a 2nd round pick looks so attractive. He is 22 and has 3 years on his rookie contract. He is also what the Cowboys need, a DT who can defeat a one on one block and push the pocket.

Let me put it this way, if Quinnen Williams was in the upcoming draft and available in the 1st round, would you be okay drafting him? Of course! He was the 3rd pick in the draft coming out of Alabama. I would take him in a minute. He is better right now than Javon Kinlaw and how many people on this board were hoping Kinlaw would fall to the Cowboys? Kinlaw's rookie stats look a lot like Quinnen Williams' rookie stats. We gave up a first round pick, that would probably have been in the top 12 for Amari Cooper. Why would we not give up a 2nd round pick for a quality DT?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree with you. We have 10+ picks next year and we should move some picks for a proven guy or two.

I think this defense does a complete 180 with a new DT and safety.

Thompson and Wilson are rated 79th and 80th out of 80 safeties. Hill was the worst rated DT in the league. Poe and Crawford also rate out poorly
A salary cap restructure should be the priority.
No additional talent at this time helps this team unless a tear down is pending.
But IDK if this FO has anyone in place, employed, that can make that type of pivotal educated decision.

Jipper

Reaction score
If the Cowboys win their horrible division, even with a 4-12 record, the pick no higher than 19th. On top of that, we have no idea what the off season is going to look like. Will there be a combine? Will there be pro days? If there is a young quality player available, then go get him. But I would not trade for players with more than 5 years of experience at this point. And they can't really take on any significant contracts. This is why Quinnen Williams for a 2nd round pick looks so attractive. He is 22 and has 3 years on his rookie contract. He is also what the Cowboys need, a DT who can defeat a one on one block and push the pocket.

Let me put it this way, if Quinnen Williams was in the upcoming draft and available in the 1st round, would you be okay drafting him? Of course! He was the 3rd pick in the draft coming out of Alabama. I would take him in a minute. He is better right now than Javon Kinlaw and how many people on this board were hoping Kinlaw would fall to the Cowboys? Kinlaw's rookie stats look a lot like Quinnen Williams' rookie stats. We gave up a first round pick, that would probably have been in the top 12 for Amari Cooper. Why would we not give up a 2nd round pick for a quality DT?

Again I understand what you guys are saying but based on what we know and have seen up to now, philly is looking like the best team in the division and I would say the cowboys are probably third behind Washington:

I’m , just going off the games played and the outcomes....I’m not will to risk a first or second round pick that could be top five each round. Period.

third round maybe...we are going to need a full rebuild of young strong talent on rookie contracts for as long as possible. That’s all, not discounting what you are saying just saying I don’t think the risk is worth it

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
That was my thinking. And most of his cost is tied to a huge signing bonus that the Jets would be eating anyway. So you would have a young, 1st round talent and a reduced cost in both salary and draft compensation, even at a 2nd round pick.

I have to assume we would be drafting a defensive tackle anyway.
If he is available for a 2nd rounder I'd do it He is a 1st round pick has talent and experience in the NFL that is better than any d linemen the next draft and he is still on his rookie contract

Carson

Reaction score
If he is available for a 2nd rounder I'd do it He is a 1st round pick has talent and experience in the NFL that is better than any d linemen the next draft and he is still on his rookie contract

100% agreed.

Just because we have picks doesn’t mean they are a hit. The DT players in the draft do not seem deep. Give me Williams

Loso86

Reaction score
i hear ya and i would like to stay optimistic but the eagles look to be the best team based on who and how they have played, I would hate to give up top 100 picks at this point knowing a full rebuild looks like the most likely scenario
I agree with you, full rebound I wouldnt say that, it doesnt look like a great dline depth type draft this year. But with a full offseason and a Healthy roster next year will be much diff. We do need a good DT, S and another CB tho

Loso86

Reaction score
Maybe by some, the only thing I criticized them with regard to Cooper was waiting. Sure it worked at the time, but it could have worked earlier/sooner. Why wait?
And here we are with a boatload of needs and we're just idling.

Fun fact: Dallas has the two absolute worst safeties in the NFL. Seems like a good place to focus. Nope, this staff feels comfy with players that are both not great at one position, but in their eyes can be plugged in, in other areas. That is why we're 2-4.
With the Coop thing it's never a sure thing, plus remember it always takes 2 to tango plus the added fact of other teams who were in on him as well. I TOTALLY agree with you on the Safety situation smh

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
With the Coop thing it's never a sure thing, plus remember it always takes 2 to tango plus the added fact of other teams who were in on him as well. I TOTALLY agree with you on the Safety situation smh
I'm a little bitter, I'm a defensive guy and I have missed having a solid safety, let alone a tandem.

Kaiser

Reaction score

We did very well pulling Amari Cooper off a trainwreck team for a draft pick that seemed like an overpayment at the time (not that I would give up a #1).

I think the trades won't be for young, cheap guys but rather Michael Bennett type moves where we trade late conditional picks for veterans at OL, Safety and/or DT. I could also see a trade where a guy like DE Griffen is moved for a similar stopgap at LT or Safety.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The one player I’d consider is Jets DT Quinnen Williams. We clearly have the need at the position and trading for him gives us a good player relatively cheap. For the rest of this year, two more, and then a 5th year option.

If I could do it for a 3rd round pick I surely would. Maybe I’d even give up a 2nd.
When teams make talented, young players available, you pounce. It doesn't happen very often.

I still can't believe Pittsburgh added a player the caliber of Minkah Fitzpatrick for just a 1st round pick. Quinnen Williams is definitely worth a 2nd, even if that's a high 2nd (33-40 range). He's only 22 and was the 3rd overall pick just two drafts ago.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling the team will send a Day 3 pick for a random veteran (think Michael Bennett) just so the FO looks like it's doing something.

We'll send a 6th rounder for someone like Adam Gotsis. Look guys, wheelin' and dealin' just like a Big Boy GM!

jjktkk

Reaction score
This Cowboys team isn't going nowhere this year, even if they somehow miraculously get in the playoffs. Sell, sell, sell.

jjktkk

Reaction score
The one player I’d consider is Jets DT Quinnen Williams. We clearly have the need at the position and trading for him gives us a good player relatively cheap. For the rest of this year, two more, and then a 5th year option.

If I could do it for a 3rd round pick I surely would. Maybe I’d even give up a 2nd.
Even though I doubt this Cowboy team gets in the playoffs, I'd still would love this trade. Qunnen Williams is a good football player, and the price is reasonable.

Jipper

Reaction score
I agree with you, full rebound I wouldnt say that, it doesnt look like a great dline depth type draft this year. But with a full offseason and a Healthy roster next year will be much diff. We do need a good DT, S and another CB tho

a lot depends on if they keep dak, the oline bounces back....basically everything on the defense except a few new guys need turnover....

gonna be a couple years retooling, hope we can do it quickly my friend

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have a bad feeling the team will send a Day 3 pick for a random veteran (think Michael Bennett) just so the FO looks like it's doing something.

We'll send a 6th rounder for someone like Adam Gotsis. Look guys, wheelin' and dealin' just like a Big Boy GM!
Im looking forward to all the film breakdown propaganda drives

Id take Gotsis in a heartbeat though. Dont know if he is any good, or even real. But lets do it!

Loso86

Reaction score
I'm a little bitter, I'm a defensive guy and I have missed having a solid safety, let alone a tandem.
I understand, they of all should know the value of safety. Seeing how we havent won since num 28 was back there

Reactions: G2

Loso86

Reaction score
a lot depends on if they keep dak, the oline bounces back....basically everything on the defense except a few new guys need turnover....

gonna be a couple years retooling, hope we can do it quickly my friend
I don't think Dak goes anywhere. I really feel like if I'm this offseason they can get a commanding presence at and a stud DT our defense will be pretty good the LB play depends on the DLine as well as secondary

Creeper

Reaction score
A trade for Quinnen Williams is not about this year. Given his age of 22 and that he has 3 years left on his rookie contract, he is a trade for the future as much as a trade for now.

Flamma

Reaction score
A trade for Quinnen Williams is not about this year. Given his age of 22 and that he has 3 years left on his rookie contract, he is a trade for the future as much as a trade for now.

Something doesn't add up here. If something is too good to be true, it usually is.