Video: Fish on Tyron’s Future

Rayman70

Reaction score
Parsons is it.

You’re looking at Surtain / Farley @ 10. Or we will go for a Pitts / Slater
KJ Britt could sneak into the top 20 convo. He looks like a beast..big speedy Thumper. I want that guy to be my starter at MLB in 2021.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lol.

If Tyron goes on the trading block, the first things other teams would ask is why. They know his injury history. They aren't idiots. The Bengals or other teams would only conclude the Cowboys would trade Smith because he is damaged goods.

But yeah, the Bengals would trade the 3rd overall pick ( or whatever it is) for Smith.

Fair enough haha. Maybe not the 3rd overall, but maybe they'd give us their 2nd round pick? I think teams know his injury history, but maybe they see him as a great enough tackle to be worth a first or high second?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Might there be a lb or safety worth it @ 10?

Micah Parsons is a guy that might be worth the pick but we don't seem to love that guy and it might be because there is more there then we know. he could have red flags in his personal. Besides, he's another run and chase guy and we have a team full of those. Zaven Collins could be that guy. He can do it all but he would have to run really well. He would have to show like 4.4, 4.5 type speed I think and he's not going to do that. There are no safeties that are top 10 picks in this draft IMO.

Reaction score
wow...ok..so what happens if/when he goes down again for the 3rd year in a row? Misses games? Do you recall the absolute mess our oline was in 2020? I thought Knight improved, even steele...but I am sick just thinking about risking Daks health again behind Tyron.
Read my post again. Plan B is Cam Irving and /or a draft pick.

If the surgery works out, it's Tyron all day, every day. But you don't dump him, force $10M in dead money, have him play at a high level somewhere else and have a downgrade at LT. Dumb.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

gif-leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here-2.gif

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I see a scenario where we will have a very tough decision to make. I think Lance or Wilson will be there at 10. Its very possible. If its Wilson..I pull the trigger or I am fielding calls to other teams looking to trade up for a QB and getting alot of picks.
I actually forgot about Lance. Wilson will be the second quarterback off the board. There are to many quarterback needy teams. Lance would be perfect for the Lions and I don’t think Fields gets by the Falcons or Panthers. If a team wants quarterback at 10 you better offer next year’s one to get me to trade the pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I see a scenario where we will have a very tough decision to make. I think Lance or Wilson will be there at 10. Its very possible. If its Wilson..I pull the trigger or I am fielding calls to other teams looking to trade up for a QB and getting alot of picks.

Maybe Lance, I don't see Wilson getting out of the top 5. Wilson, IMO, is going to end up being the 2nd ranked QB in this class and he could end up being he best one. But I agree, if were there, I'd take him quick. I'd force Dak's camp to make a quick decision on an offer and then, I'd either ink a reasonable deal with Dak or I'd move on. I'd be on the phone to all of these teams that think they are a QB away. I'd be in Detroit before the Sun went down trying to get a trade done.

jmo

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
its pure delusional to say we are gonna ride Tyron yet another season..lol..if we do that Dak will get hurt again. TIME for an upgrade!!! STOP sticking with injured players too long. KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN! Why has this org. always been this dang stubborn? MOVE ON FROM TYRON.

Your delusion is showing. The shouting is a tipoff for cognitive dissonance. You're just denying reality. They've stuck with Tyron before. If he seems healthy, they'll stick with him again.

More delusion. You can't just snap your fingers and upgrade on Tyron. If we move on, we're getting worse. Even Tyron didn't start to be Tyron until his third year in the league.

Tyron had nothing to do with Dak's injury, which happened downfield on the left side of the field.

They'll evaluate Tyron. If he seems healthy, they'll ride him. I can see them picking Sewell for value at 10, but no other OT.

Unless the neck surgery goes poorly, Tyron is back. Possible they could move on from Tyron if they get Sewell, as Williams and McGovern are both pretty solid linemen. But it's an extreme longshot to get Sewell, and then Fish is stating their plan to keep Tyron even if they get Sewell.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Not sure why people are salivating to create a hole at OLT when there are so many needs on defense. I don't object to them draft a OL if that is the value, but I'm not anxious to force the issue.

Defensively, assuming Quinn runs the kind of scheme most anticipate, Parsons is a marginal fit and Z. Collins probably isn't a fit -- unless you see a Bruce Irvin type role as primarily a standup rush man. But modern defenses usually don't do well to be locked in with that kind of role, and you don't want to burn a 1 on a part-time player. This could also be a problem with Parsons unless he runs even better than anticipated.

The Notre Dame LB fits and is worth the pick. But he better be waaaaay better than other alternatives to justify being taken.

No DT is likely worth the pick. Boring as it is to say, the best bet is they take the corner they like between Farley and Surtain (Horn the wild card) or trade down. Long way to go to the draft, but at this moment, the most obvious seems the most likely.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The point behind all of this is, can you get value for him now, as opposed to waiting till he is done.

Another reason it's unlikely we get rid of Tyron this year is that it would be very hard to get value for him coming off a neck injury.

If *we* don't want him, teams will naturally assume he isn't healthy. If he's healthy, why would we be trading him?

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
If Tyron leaves the Cowboys, it is because he retires, or he has chosen to play against medical advice, or there is an underlying problem of which we are unaware. We don't need Fisher or anyone else to tell us that.

Football teams don't trade quality LTs and eat dead money just for kicks. What would be the point?

I expect him to play in Dallas. And I hope he does.

Beaker42

Reaction score
A lot of y’all don’t like him (seems especially personal too I don’t know what he did to some of y’all lol), but he’s been on the right track on stuff as well. Here’s his quip about Tyron, paraphrasing, he indicated no one in Tyron or the FO’s circles has any clue where this “Tyron is done/wants to retire” stuff has come from. Watch here:

Personally, I think we should keep an eye on the future of the position (3rd/4th round pick) but unless he reinjures himself between now and camp he’s the starting LT next season.

P.S. He confirmed the team and La’el Collins expect him to start at RT as well.

3rd/4th rnd gets you guys like Knight and Steele. That what you want?

Beaker42

Reaction score
YEP. I think at that point you must start calling teams and getting compensation for Gallup either several picks this year or future picks. I think the Chargers would be a great team to call. They could use an upgrade at WR. Gallup would compete for that WR1 spot there. They would be very dynamic.
Jets have more picks than sense. Call them.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I love tyron! I hope he can get healthier and play as long as possible. Dudes legendary!

Beaker42

Reaction score
Tyron Smith can't stay healthy, this team can no longer depend on Tyron Smith playing a full season, if healthy he's one of thee best left tackles in the NFL , that's a big "IF" though now in his career, and you're not finding some elite left tackle in the later rounds....Tyron had surgery on his neck, the big other problem is his back which is a constant problem and apparent when you watch him at times in games....If Slater is there at the tenth pick and Farley and Surtain are gone, I'd be taking Slater..
If we take Slater we’ll regret it. He’s an OG. Darrisaw needs to be the pick if we go LT.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Another reason it's unlikely we get rid of Tyron this year is that it would be very hard to get value for him coming off a neck injury.

If *we* don't want him, teams will naturally assume he isn't healthy. If he's healthy, why would we be trading him?

I think you could probably make the case that the surgery corrected everything and he's had a year off and is ready to play. But, he's going to have to pass physicals etc. I actually wouldn't mind keeping him for another year and drafting his replacement. Give that kid a year to get strong and learn the NFL position and then be ready to allow the kid to step in and start. That, to me, would be a wise way to approach this situation.

JMO

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah I agree there.

Maybe the last of the top of the QB class is still there.

We need so much help a deal down may be what we need.

Thats one thing thats impossible to know until day of.