Twitter: Fish thinks the Cowboys will entertain trade offers for Taco

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a goof. Fans can see it. I bet it's 10x worse behind the scenes.

David Moore was on the radio a few weeks ago, he said Marinelli sat down and had a heart to heart with him in the offseason and challenged. Moore checked around with different coaches to see how Taco was doing with that challenge and they all told him "just ok".

Who "sits down" with Marinelli and has a heart to heart with him for advocating drafting the guy in the first place?
:huh:

Jipper

Reaction score
I think at this point his value is probably the highest it’s ever been....unfortunately that probably means a 3rd round pick at best....I’d rather hold on to him for depth and to see if he pans out this year personally, he is still only in his 3rd season so it’s not like he’s on a 5th year and we’re able to say bust

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Seemed pretty clear they were auditioning him all pre-season.
DL depth is insane and he likely has most value of guys they'd actually trade.

Put another way would you rather have Dorance Armstrong and a 3rd or Taco?
DLaw's snap totals the last 2 seasons make Taco rather superfluous.

All that said perhaps he auditoned well enough to change their minds too.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
No, you keep 6 WR's. If they want to keep 11 DL, then they can go 9 DB's. The 9th DB is not as good as a 6th WR as to what that player can bring to the team.
Also they need to only go 6 LB's, 3 TE's, 2 QB's to help keeping an extra play or 2.
I just meant from a quality player perspective. I was less than impressed with our WRs that were being touted in camp early like a Johnson, Guyton etc. I meant if it came down to losing Jackson or Jelks over a wr like Wilson that would seem like a pretty steep drop off on a player for long term potential.

For a 6th wideout spot raid the PS for Guyton or Johnson after some additional fine tuning if necessary. That said, I do also think there is so much depth on DL this year Jelks and Jackson are likely to not see much playing time and if they make the 53 it will be more for future use and to keep them off of a rival’s lineup.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I don't get rid of Taco unless it is a third rounder at least. If we lose him as a free agent we likely would get a third rounder so might as well only shop for better value than that. Seems here recently that he has been much more of a factor and he is still going and relatively cheap. Better to cut a guy like Crawford, but even then I would rather go short at other places than get rid of great depth. Two QB's only, 9 OL, 5 WR, 8-9 DB, etc.

jnday

Reaction score
Trade Zeke instead. He has more trade value. They might actually get someone in return who wants to play the game more than pad his bank account.
That would be a mistake. Zeke is responsible for at least 75% of the offense. The offense is much worse that these posters makes it out to be. Do you seriously think the offense can depend on Dak’s play to win games when he struggles to pass for more than 200 yards a game?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I mean it's obvious taco has some ability. Marinelli doesn't "like" him so he gets benched. Maybe he can go on a team with a real DC. Marinelli likes jags that will worship him.

Yep! Marinelli is obsessed with no names for job security and to pat himself on the back. And so many buy into it. They point to these no names and show much he gets out of them. He is the reason we have these no names. He is the sole reason we passed on TJ Watt for Taco. He's an old man that yells at the clouds. Spare me that he gets his players to buy in. How about actually putting them in the position to win or call a good defensive game? The same is said about Garrett. The players like him and they buy in. Yet he is terrible at actually coaching. Marinelli is still living off that one title in 2002 with the Bucs. He is not a good coach. But he yells a lot so people think that means something.

quickccc

Reaction score
Other than Watts, who could we have taken other than Taco in that draft spot? Reasonable selection based on then value?

supposedly besides TJ Watts, the next two players graded on their draft value board were CB Kevin King (Packers) and RB Davin Cook (Vikings)
Taco was said to be more as a 2nd round pick value, but the staff didn't think Taco would be available by the time their 2nd round pick came around.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I read that too but 5 years would mean we picked up his 5th-year option. I'm pretty sure we did not......coz remember thinking at the time we declined how he was one of only couple other first-rounders who teams declined their option also. It's why I said 4 years....
You are most likely correct

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can that be when they’ve been so patient with Gregory, a lesser round pick?
When Gregory is not suspended he is "All In" during practices/meetings/etc..

Taco just now starting giving something that looks like max effort.

Taco complains often and has list of excuses a mile long.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
supposedly besides TJ Watts, the next two players graded on their draft value board were CB Kevin King (Packers) and RB Davin Cook (Vikings)
Taco was said to be more as a 2nd round pick value, but the staff didn't think Taco would be available by the time their 2nd round pick came around.

If they didn't take a DE (Taco or Watts) they were planning to take Awuzie at that pick according to comments my SJones after that draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get rid of Taco unless it is a third rounder at least. If we lose him as a free agent we likely would get a third rounder so might as well only shop for better value than that. Seems here recently that he has been much more of a factor and he is still going and relatively cheap. Better to cut a guy like Crawford, but even then I would rather go short at other places than get rid of great depth. Two QB's only, 9 OL, 5 WR, 8-9 DB, etc.

Teams only get 3rd round comp picks for players that sign mega-contracts with another team.

The very best 3rd round comp pick is really round 4, pick 1 because it is at the end of round 3.

Comp picks are 2 draft away as compared to a trade that net a pick in the next draft.
- If a player will be a free agent in 2020, then a trade of that player now could net a pick in the 2020 draft.
- If that player stays and signs a big contract with another team as free agent, the comp pick will be in the 2021 draft.
- At the time of the 2020 draft, a 2021 draft pick is valued about 1 round lower than a 2020 pick (i.e. 2020 4th = 2021 3rd).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If I'm seeing this thing as it now appears to be, the DE position has enough spare talent that Taco wouldn't be missed that much at all. I believe the FO knows this deep down and would be happy to see him do well in the upcoming last preseason game. It would make his value max out and ensure getting a better deal for him than what he'd have attracted otherwise.

Also, speaking of 'otherwise,' Crawford is probably just as vulnerable as Taco. I think it'll be either one or the other of those two that gets traded. Of course, much depends upon how either is perceived by another team and which player offers the best deal for the Cowboys to accept. It should prove somewhat intriguing to observe what comes of this situation.

Last edited: