News: Fisher: Cowboys may place 1st /2nd rd tender on Dan Bailey

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Viniateri played for the Pats for 10 years... Clearly he got more than one contract out of them, under Belichek's regime. They even franchised him, at one point.

They didn't pay him at the end though, and I'm not sure Bill would today given our roster and what he said about kickers recently. Having said that: d'oh! I actually totally forgot the Patriots drafted Gostkowski. Not sure how I thought he got there... my brain is forgetful and stupid!

Nirvana

Reaction score
Some of you are over thinking this. 2 million per is nothing against the cap. Sign him and have one less thing to worry about. He'll be the difference between a win or a loss in at least one game per season, if not more. He also takes the opponent's return game out of the mix with all his touchback kicks.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't pay him at the end though, and I'm not sure Bill would today given our roster and what he said about kickers recently. Having said that: d'oh! I actually totally forgot the Patriots drafted Gostkowski. Not sure how I thought he got there... my brain is forgetful and stupid!

Well, he was 10 year vet by that time. It made sense to let him walk, even though they franchised him for about $2mil the year prior. It was more than time to replace him with a cheaper alternative. Especially as it probably coincided with the cap hits of Brady's contract, too.

Bailey's not a 10 yr vet, though. He's at that age where you DO pay him. Young player who is one of the top guys at his position. As a kicker, no matter what they decide to pay him, it won't be as cost prohibitive as some other positions on the team.

Reactions: JPM

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For comparison, this is what Chicago just paid Robbie Gould.

According to a source, here’s some of the details of Gould’s four-year extension:

◆ Gould’s new deal is worth $17,930,425 with $8.85 million guaranteed. His four-year extension (2014-2017) is worth 10.8 million in base salary. It also includes $1 million in roster bonuses and $200,000 in workout bonuses.

◆ Gould’s deal includes a $3 million signing bonus that’s prorated over the length of the deal and started in 2013 season (which increased his cap hit this past season) .

◆ Gould’s cap hits moving forward are: $2.6 million in 2014, $3.6 million in 2015, $4.1 million in 2016 and $4.1 million in 2017.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/search/...r-extension-with-bears-worth-179-million.html

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Gould's salaries sure seem prohibitive to me. I don't think anyone's questioning whether Bailey should be paid good money. The question is should you pay it in a league where basically every kicker makes every kick.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sources say the parties are in contact and are “on the same page’’ regarding Bailey’s return to the Cowboys.

Bailey, 25, is set to be a restricted free agent. The Cowboys can issue him a first-round tender (guaranteeing Bailey a salary of about $3 million) or a second-round tender (at about $2 million). Then the kicker can shop himself around the NFL – but Dallas can match any offer made to Bailey.
And the Cowboys will almost certainly do so, a shift in philosophy from years and years of believing kickers are easily replaced.

Meanwhile, a source says Dallas would, in combination with the tender, work to sign Bailey to a long-term deal. Top kickers in the NFL make $3 million or so, and the framework for a deal has been set by Chicago’s extension on Robbie Gould (four years, $15 million, with $9 million guaranteed). If the Cowboys tender Bailey at $2 million, they would likely try to negotiate a contract with annual salaries that start at that relatively low level.

Read more: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/06/cowboys-free-agent-kicker-bailey-on-same-page/

Oh come on... Anyone of 500 kickers can make those kicks

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gould's salaries sure seem prohibitive to me. I don't think anyone's questioning whether Bailey should be paid good money. The question is should you pay it in a league where basically every kicker makes every kick.

True...until you find the one who can't (Beuhler)...or gets the yips (Folk).

It's nice to have an almost Mr. Automatic vs cringing everytime the foot hits the ball.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
You have to resign one of the more consistant players on your team... He's improved on different aspects of his game each year which is great!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That difference right now appears to be a random 45 yard field goal kicked somewhere over the course of a 16 game schedule.

It's funny, in the offseason threads when dealing with what to do with Ware, Austin, etc. a few people said we should do what a well run organization like the Patriots would do. I think we all know what Belichick would do here.

So you expect us to let Bailey walk and use a 4th round pick on a kicker?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I don't care how good of a kicker he is, if someone gives me a second rounder, I'm taking it.

With how their season ending, you could potentially have Philly giving one up. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Zordon

Reaction score
So let me get this right.

Bailey, who is a top flight kicker is going into his restricted year. He can field offers and come back to Dallas to match.

Our GM, who has blown the cap by paying players for past performance instead of future returns is going to tender a 1/2 on this player.

The team has no answers for the defensive line. The team is 30 million over the cap before being forced into redoing contracts of players who potentially have passed their expiration date.

So our GM, who created all the problems with this, and has shown in the long ago that finding a kicker isn't that difficult, has decided to tender a 2 or 3 million dollar offer because if he left the player to go out and get an offer, Jerry would be being squeezed by another team.
Now I understand the notion of getting something for this guy if he leaves since he is the ONE consistent bright spot.

It just occurs to me that if Genius Jerry was so on top of his game, the cap would have been managed better and the team would not be making an offer of 2-3 million for a player that sees the field on kick-offs and after touchdowns.

Sorry, this guy is great, but truthfully kickers do grow on trees. There is a forest in Kentucky. I saw it on Nat Geo once.

we had 3 or 4 ex-cowboys kicking around the league this year and most of them were doing pretty well. unfortunately b.c of the position the jones idiots have put us in, we cannot keep bailey most likely.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
we had 3 or 4 ex-cowboys kicking around the league this year and most of them were doing pretty well. unfortunately b.c of the position the jones idiots have put us in, we cannot keep bailey most likely.

Why is that?

Just lock him in with 10 year deal. Lol

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Sources say the parties are in contact and are “on the same page’’ regarding Bailey’s return to the Cowboys.

Bailey, 25, is set to be a restricted free agent. The Cowboys can issue him a first-round tender (guaranteeing Bailey a salary of about $3 million) or a second-round tender (at about $2 million). Then the kicker can shop himself around the NFL – but Dallas can match any offer made to Bailey.
And the Cowboys will almost certainly do so, a shift in philosophy from years and years of believing kickers are easily replaced.

Meanwhile, a source says Dallas would, in combination with the tender, work to sign Bailey to a long-term deal. Top kickers in the NFL make $3 million or so, and the framework for a deal has been set by Chicago’s extension on Robbie Gould (four years, $15 million, with $9 million guaranteed). If the Cowboys tender Bailey at $2 million, they would likely try to negotiate a contract with annual salaries that start at that relatively low level.

Read more: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/06/cowboys-free-agent-kicker-bailey-on-same-page/

Even if somebody was so desperate to give Dallas a 1st OR 2nd for Bailey (Nothing against Dan Dan the FG Man), could Dallas even afford it to pay an additional 1st or 2nd round pick?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
pay the guy, jerry put himself in cap hell, THATS NOT Baileys fault. Bailey does his job, does it well, you pay him a bit more. have it written to restructure based on performance, if Bailey continues to be good, keep paying him, if not, restructure. All contracts should be based on that before the NFL like another sport is paying way more than they can afford.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
I will be terribly distraught if we don't keep him.

I could not stand the years we have just endured with our kickers.

Please tell me we don't want to head to the dark years of Gramatica, Vanderjagt, Cortez and company....

I wanted to bang my head on every wall in my place.

Granted Gramatica was automatica in TB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You would probably be singing different tune if we took that 2nd round choice and blew it on a reserve tight end again.

I would be but there is NO WAY they do it again. NO WAY. Unless they traded Escobar first. Only way I see that is if they do like they did Fasano and trade him out and then draft a TE.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
pay the guy, jerry put himself in cap hell, THATS NOT Baileys fault. Bailey does his job, does it well, you pay him a bit more. have it written to restructure based on performance, if Bailey continues to be good, keep paying him, if not, restructure. All contracts should be based on that before the NFL like another sport is paying way more than they can afford.

Its not about cap hell. Its about being smart with your money. Better late than never. They didn't sign Spencer long term because it was the smart move. You don't sign guys long term unless you feel they are irreplaceable talent. Guys like Sean Lee, Dez, Tyron.......I'd re-sign Bailey but make no mistake its not about his play on the field or what he's worth. Its about paying what they should.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Don't kickers become up and down by nature? It seems I see different kickers being rotated around the league who seemed like can't misses with their previous teams. I like that Bailey is money, that's before I read 3 million tbh.

Fredd

Reaction score
just sign the man...give him a 3-year deal for $10m ($3m signing bonus, $1m, $2m, $4m - $6m guaranteed)...assuming everything continues to go well with him, you extend him prior to the 3rd year

stop playing around with this guy